Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R6 Recurve Question for Owners

Hello,

We had a Trekker which the Sway Control kept turning off pulling out of campgrounds and not engaging down the highway, almost crashed big time. Anyway, Camco replaced it no questions asked with an R6 recurve which I installed myself today. I measured my back wheel well before hooking up, it was at 40". Hooked it all up and the truck dipped 2" to 38". The directions say the truck should only dip 1", roughly, when connected. Before pulling this whole thing off and redoing it, anyone have any suggestion what to look for to correct this, or is this something that I shouldn't worry about?

my truck dips 2" with zero sway bars hooked up, btw. But it's an F350 and my TT is only max 7800#.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I used to use the Equalizer hitch when I had a TT. The bars on that were about 1 inch thick, meaning it would take a lot of force to bend them. That makes them good levers for putting weight on the front axle of your tow vehicle, and therefore keeping the rear axle from sagging much. Never had the Recurve, but from looking at the pictures, those bars are pretty thin. I would think that they would bend before you could use them to transfer any serious weight to the front of your tow vehicle. The Equalizer also has a friction based sway control, so no engaging and disengaging. My .02.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

We had a Trekker which the Sway Control kept turning off pulling out of campgrounds and not engaging down the highway, almost crashed big time. Anyway, Camco replaced it no questions asked with an R6 recurve which I installed myself today. I measured my back wheel well before hooking up, it was at 40". Hooked it all up and the truck dipped 2" to 38". The directions say the truck should only dip 1", roughly, when connected. Before pulling this whole thing off and redoing it, anyone have any suggestion what to look for to correct this, or is this something that I shouldn't worry about?

my truck dips 2" with zero sway bars hooked up, btw. But it's an F350 and my TT is only max 7800#.
    I use the recuve and you either have your ball height to low or need to adjust the pitch of the ball. If the ball measurements are correct start pitching the ball towards the trailer until you get the desired results. Also remember with the recurve the front should drop about the same as the rear (or close to it) or you are not getting the weight distribution as the system is designed.

I had mine setup, then played with it making it not correct then adjusted it again to correct the issue. Practice makes perfect.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the recuve and you either have your ball height to low or need to adjust the pitch of the ball. If the ball measurements are correct start pitching the ball towards the trailer until you get the desired results. Also remember with the recurve the front should drop about the same as the rear (or close to it) or you are not getting the weight distribution as the system is designed.
    I agree, I have the R6 and it took an adjustment tot he pitch to get it just right.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400
    2019 F150 XLT 4x4, 3.5 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post

I had mine setup, then played with it making it not correct then adjusted it again to correct the issue. Practice makes perfect.
    Awesome! Thanks! I followed everything to the T but wasn't sure if I had to raise the ball or tilt it. It is actually riding very, very nice but I think with some adjustment to the ball it will be a little smoother. Thanks for the tips!
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.