User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you replace on a brand new trailer?

Given that the Transcend line is GD's base model. What did they skimp on, that matters? Mechanically, in particular. I would like to do some 1000+ mile road trips in this trailer, so I'm willing to invest a few bucks to make sure it will be more reliable for those extended trips.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Given that the Transcend line is GD's base model. What did they skimp on, that matters? Mechanically, in particular. I would like to do some 1000+ mile road trips in this trailer, so I'm willing to invest a few bucks to make sure it will be more reliable for those extended trips.
    Tires! Prefer Goodyear Endurance Tires personally; add a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) as well. Add at least a second battery. Mattress upgrade is typically a good idea too. Cheers!
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second tires and adding a TPMS. Our Westlakes didn’t have any issues but for peace of mind changed them to GD Endurance at about 1,500 miles. We did the same on our previous TT which had Castle Rocks, also distributed by LionsHead.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! I already have a 12 inch mattress picked out (someone else's recommendation on these forums, even!), and a TPMS system (TireMinder) in my Amazon cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger. I will take a look at tire options. We had zero problems on our last TT (a Jayco X213) but I don't remember what tires it came with. IIRC tires aren't expensive for trailers, in any case. Nothing compared to what they cost for my car or pickup.

So is there anything else mechanical that's a liability on the Transcend trailers? Undersized cheapo axles, bearings, anything like that? Could have sworn I heard someone mumble something along those lines a while back, but I can't find the post.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid steps, TPMS, real mattress, CRE3000 suspension with the wet bolt shackle kit, shower head, battery upgrade...the list goes on.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely doing some kind of battery upgrade. The dealer will just throw a regular old Interstate on there. I got kinda wrapped up in all the various options for batteries and the price started to spiral out of control, so I came all the way back to 'screw it, I'm just going to throw in a pair of 6V golf cart batteries and worry about this later.' Now I'm back to lithium again, but baby steps. Thinking just a 206Ah 12V from SOK in a 27" locking battery box (assuming it will fit on the tongue, I can't measure yet), with a probable upgrade later once we establish our needs. Won't really be able to charge it fully with the converter, but the solar panel will top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Solid steps
    How do these compare with the steps that the trailer ships with? Even the factory ones on newer trailers look like an upgrade from the last RV I owned, which had the traditional hanging fold-out steps.

I'm quite happy that I kept almost all the accessories we bought for our last TT, so at least I won't have to immediately blow a couple grand on Amazon buying all the little doo-dads.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that the original fold out steps are bad but the MORyde StepAbove steps that we have are much, much better. We did the extended handle as well. The combination is very nice.

e
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We opted not to make any significant changes. Have used our Transcend for about 2 years including one 2,000 mile trip and lots of local camping and it has worked well. This year we plan to replace tires & battery. One mechanical thing you might consider doing to help ensure smooth travels is to repack the bearings.
    2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
    2010 Ram 2500
    Blog About Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To start, personally, I LOVE the swing out steps (solid step, step above); they are super stable. They work for me perfectly.

That said, for some, the experience is NOT so positive. Be cognizant of the space required to swing them out and down (and you can't get in the door without doing so).

Also, when they get dirty/wet, it takes some effort to clean/dry them before putting them back up (they store inside your trailer, so need to be clean/dry). I make short order of that with a small leaf blower.

Again; I love them, but like full disclosure.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point. We primarily dry camp in dirty places, so the cleaning requirements are good to take note of. We typically just put everything back together enough to get us home at the end of our camping trips, and then as soon we we get home we open everything up and clean it out in the comfort of our own driveway.

Looking through pictures of the 261BH that I'm still waiting impatiently for, I see that it has a three-step drop hanging step that looks pretty traditional. But I see pictures of some Transcends on the lot with the steps with legs on the ground. Hmm. I guess I saw that and thought all were shipping with it now. Seems some do, some don't, maybe it's an option, I have no clue. I'll assume the trailer we're buying will just have the old style.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast