User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor bolt fell out and wire broke on Lippert Ground Control 3.0 rear jack

Had a fault today when using the Ground Control 3.0 for the first time on our 2021 278BH Reflection 5th wheel. I noticed the motor on the rear left stabilizer was moving when trying to retract. Then realized the bolt that holds it in place was gone and allowing motor to spin freely. The motor had spun towards the front of the RV and pulled out one of the connectors (the 3-pin triangle one). I don't know when the connector and the bolt fell out and did not recover them.

We were able to manually lift it to get to our next destination. Now I need to decide the fix. I called Lippert and they said they don't sell the connector and bolt so I would need to buy the entire motor for $500. I may just do that for a simple fix I can do myself.

It looks like the connector might be a 3-pin deutsch connector? Does anyone know for sure? I could probably buy one of those for $10 and find a bolt to replace the bolt. That should get it working again too assuming there's no other damage to the wiring inside.

I will definitely be checking those bolts for tightness in the future and recommend it to everyone!

If anyone knows the bolt size, that would be helpful too! I'll probably pull out the other one and bring it to the hardware store with me.

Thanks for your help. I'm attaching 2 photos below showing the loose wires and the connector that came unplugged.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1n...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wwn...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by RyanJBow; 09-16-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    Had a fault today when using the Ground Control 3.0 for the first time on our 2021 278BH Reflection 5th wheel. I noticed the motor on the rear left stabilizer was moving when trying to retract. Then realized the bolt that holds it in place was gone and allowing motor to spin freely. The motor had spun towards the front of the RV and pulled out one of the connectors (the 3-pin triangle one). I don't know when the connector and the bolt fell out and did not recover them.

We were able to manually lift it to get to our next destination. Now I need to decide the fix. I called Lippert and they said they don't sell the connector and bolt so I would need to buy the entire motor for $500. I may just do that for a simple fix I can do myself.

It looks like the connector might be a 3-pin deutsch connector? Does anyone know for sure? I could probably buy one of those for $10 and find a bolt to replace the bolt. That should get it working again too assuming there's no other damage to the wiring inside.

I will definitely be checking those bolts for tightness in the future and recommend it to everyone!

If anyone knows the bolt size, that would be helpful too! I'll probably pull out the other one and bring it to the hardware store with me.

Thanks for your help. I'm attaching 2 photos below showing the loose wires and the connector that came unplugged.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1n...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wwn...ew?usp=sharing
    The bolt is an easy fix (just be sure you are getting a new bolt with the same hardness).

The connector can also be an easy fix. Instead of trying to find a matching connector, you can simply splice in a 3-pin weather tight connector onto the existing wires (using self sealing butt connectors).

Here is an example of the 3-pin connector I am talking about:

https://www.online-led-store.com/3-w...orzacclbrxxxa8
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-16-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would get a bolt and try a splice. Unfortunately, it may not be successful. You've lost the Halls Effect connector and the yanking to rip the connector free likely also damaged the wiring at the sensor, which isn't serviceable. So, I would bolt the head tight and then use some temporary jumper wires to connect the wiring to see if the jacks functions properly or not. If it does, any weathertight connector for the wire gauge would work.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

I got this fixed but wanted to update in case it helps someone else. I was able to buy a deutsch 3-pin connector kit and crimper tool on Amazon for about $50 total. I was able to add a new male connector to the motor. It turns out the old male connector was connected to the female. (the wires pulled out of the male connector).

What I bought was a 14-18 gauge crimper and 16ga connectors (the pins are 16ga)

I added some new bolts to the motor as well with some locking washers. I assume they just rattled off over time with driving and the motor running so I'll have to watch that. That motor does have slight movement side to side when the motor runs so those movements may have helped to loosen the bolts. Kinda strange that I lost both bolts but I assume it was one at a time over a long period. Now I know to check those bolts periodically.

The wiring from the motor to the front of the RV was not damaged because it worked once I got it hooked up again. It took a few times of "retract all" to clear the error. I had unplugged one of the front motors too just for inspection so the sensors were confused. The first time we tried auto retract it didn't work. So we can to manually retract them all to get them back to "ZERO". They've been working fine since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you remember what size bolts this required? Just found the same problem on my 2021 28BH. THANKS!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMPLLC View Post
    Do you remember what size bolts this required? Just found the same problem on my 2021 28BH. THANKS!
    I don't have the size. I took one out of one of the other jacks and brought it to hardware store to match. I actually bought new ones and replaced all of them with longer ones since they seemed a little short and I wanted to add lock washers.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH - 150 Series 5th Wheel
    2020 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two bolts for the motor. Both bolts on one of the motor assemblies vibrated out and it rotated, pulling wires form the three pin connector. I replaced the bolts on both sides with 5/16-18 x 3/4" hex head bolts with split-ring lock washers. The original bolts on the opposite side of mine did not have lock washers. It does look like a 3 pin Deutsch connector. I purchased a 18 AWG Assembled Deutsch 3 Pin waterproof connector 6" wire kit on E-bay for $8.99. I will use crimp on Heat Shrink Butt Connectors to attach it to the motor wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	48833

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	48834