Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New rig - and a little concerned!!

Morning all!!

New to RV'ing - and just bought a GD 2670MK. We take deliver in three weeks. DW & I had to drive 500 miles to view the rig and complete the sale. That means we have to tow it back home 500 miles!!! We do plan to stop a night or two on the way home to break her in - the first night will likely be near the dealer, in case we discover something we didnt catch during PDI. (I learned that from you folks!!)

MY concern is Ive never towed anything that large. I'm sure I can drive it straight down the highway. But I'm really concerned about backing it up and I guess RH turns in a town/city setting. Anyone have pointers, video's or experience to share??? I had a rather restless night thinking about all this.

I know I can do it - with practice. Ive seems some say go to any empty parking lot and practice, which, if I can find one, I will, But cant recall one locally.

I just need to build some confidence., I know. I want this to be fun - not a terror. Our first trips will plan on a drive through set up to avoid that challenge. But I'm going to need to learn how to do it. I know it can be done. I've seen truckers with a daisy chain of three trailers being pulled - if they can do it, I can too - with some experience.

I'm also concerned with the hitch. Reading so many posts - I'm leaning toward the ProPride. We have to drive from PNW to FLA. in a couple months and we want to enjoy the trip safely. So this one seems to be my choice. The issue is installing it. Not sure I want to tackle it - and the dealer will not. Any options??? Are there dealers that sell or install the ProPride?? The rig is in Grants Pass, Oregon. It was a 96 degrees, I just don't think this old man is up to 4+ hours of attempting to install this hitch. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, just not in the best of shape. Any ideas??

Thanks again for your knowledge!!! As we get closer to D-Day (Delivery Day), expect a lot more questions!!!

Steve

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On your way home, find a big empty parking lot and practice turns, backing into spots, etc. Have someone track and mark your tail swing and inside tracking on turns. Remember to swing wide - especially if there is an obstetrical close to the back of the curb. Be sure your mirrors are adjusted so you can see where your tires are tracking (side of trailer) Also before you take off, sit in the seat with the mirrors adjusted and have wife walk around the truck and trailer so you can determine your blind spots. If needed get some convex mirrors, or be sure to adjust the ones you have if so equipped to cover them. Last be sure your weight distributing hitch is adjusted properly. TV should be fairly level and not nose high.

Be safe and go slow
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, it's always intimidating at first! We've all been there. Deep breaths, patience, and absolutely do not get flustered by the lookielous! You're not being graded, but you may get some ribbing from we of the seasoned grey hair tow club!

That said, practice, practice and more practice is the only way you build confidence! You must have mirrors that can see with the trailer hitched because the key to negotiating turns and backing is knowing where the tail is at all times! Check YouTube for backing pointers you can self-pace learn.

Post info about your tow vehicle and we can give you better advice about hitches, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    But I'm really concerned about backing it up and I guess RH turns in a town/city setting. Anyone have pointers, video's or experience to share???
    Video on backing:
    How to back up an RV / Trailer "tail swing" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1B5d_K2__4
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have gotten some good advice. Be sure you know about tail swing. A pair of walk-in talkies can help when communicating with the wife when backing in. I always walk the campsite B4 backing in, looking UP for sure.
    Trees branches are not always high enough. Most campers will give you a hand but you may have to ask.
    Have Fun. !!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    But I'm really concerned about backing it up and I guess RH turns in a town/city setting. Anyone have pointers, video's or experience to share??? I had a rather restless night thinking about all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    On your way home, find a big empty parking lot and practice turns, backing into spots, etc. Have someone track and mark your tail swing and inside tracking on turns. Remember to swing wide - especially if there is an obstetrical close to the back of the curb.
    Steve, I'd add to @powerscol's advice by suggesting that even if someone is NOT having a baby on the curb you should swing wide. If they are, swing REALLY wide.

Seriously, without the trailer go for drives in commercial areas, watch what the big trucks do, and do the same thing.

For example, when approaching a right turn, put your signal on early, hug the left side of your lane and even encroach on the left lane a little if there is one, to get lots of room to drive into the intersection and THEN begin your right turn. As long as you "hog" the road without sudden moves and with some respect for the other drivers, you're pretty big and they will generally see you and moderate accordingly, as they do for trucks.

Backing up is certainly a challenge because you'll often lose sight of one side of your trailer. Many of us have found that a partner guiding us can be frustrating - if they're not drivers themselves they may not understand what you can't see and need from them. Cell phones or radios can help, but we use backup camera systems on the trailer which are a huge help. Without them, best advice is to get as straight-on to where you're going as possible, so you see both sides of the trailer, if you can do that. However in many campgrounds you can't. Be prepared to spend ten minutes or more backing in - nobody will laugh at you, they were there once. Slow, careful, repeat if necessary, are all cheaper than fixing a damaged trailer.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-17-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your truck is in Seattle and you need the hitch installed give Torklift Central a call. They've been around for a long time and they might confirm that the ProPride is a good hitch for your new trailer. They'll probably want to know that the GVWR is around 8500 lbs to make a good recommendation.

https://torkliftcentral.com/

If you want to get the hitch installed in Grants Pass then try Henderson's Line-Up. They might do installs of hitches since they install the MORryde upgrades for Grand Design trailers. It's good that you are asking NOW since you'll need to get on someone's schedule to get the installation done.

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Changing Lanes for towing with specific mention of tail swing: https://changinglanesrv.com/towing/

Also, Keep Your Daydream recently posted a video of backing a travel trailer (I think in the last month or two). I didn't find the specific video of Trish learning to back their Airstream, but you might have better luck. Maybe start here: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/newbie/
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You kind of have to own the road with the wide turns. So do it! Take it slow and be patient, and you need extra patience backing up sometimes. I see people in a hurry backing up and things go sideways literally, and the situation gets worse and worse. Slow. I sometimes find a set of eyes talks not to me through the window is enough on the blind side. Phones otherwise. The wife and I have a system now.

I know sometimes you think it can’t be done...backing in somewhere or taking a right turn, but you can and will. People do it all the time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the video of Trish from Keep Your Daydream learning to back up their trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qNFOLhhQHs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast