User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 2800BH Installing an AGM in pass through

Looking for some recommendations. I would like to install a Renogy 100ah 12v agm into the pass through near the pre wired solar charge controller location. Ultimately at the same time I will install a solar charge controller. It’s a brand new trailer and I am not thrilled about drilling any holes in the floor. Since the wires are already ran for the solar charge controller at that location. Would I be able to disconnect tongue battery and reconnect the battery to the pre run wires in the pass through that were meant to go from the charge controller to the tongue battery. It looks like these wires are ran to a junction box outside that then connected to the tongue battery. Hope this makes sense, and ultimately if anyone else has a better idea I’d be interested in that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question: Why aren't you installing the new agm battery in the factory location?

I don't think you'd want to use the solar prewire wires between your new battery and the original junction box as those wires are thinner than the wires between the original battery and the junction box (if my memory serves me right).
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree on the tongue is the easiest install. I am just thinking a couple upgrades down the road with regards to expandability. I will check wire sizes between the two, that is a fantastic point to bring up.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AGM are in the LA category and give out gas. What is you plan for venting?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don’t remotely vent like a wet lead acid. In fact we carry them on aircraft all of the time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AGM and GEL batteries are sealed but the venting is built into a valve in case the battery is overcharged or is defective (they would gas). The venting is in the cap of each cell. That is why AGM and GEL batteries fall under the VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) group.

In normal operation in charging AGM there is no venting.
    The pass through is not really a sealed area. It is fine for AGM batteries.
    We have 3 Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM. Away from prying eyes on the frame. Close to the charger/ inverter so the wire runs are not long. Our solar charge controller is located right there also
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the replies. Yeah I’m starting small but with an eye on expandability for down the road. The pass through seems to be the best place for expandability. Just trying to figure out the least non invasive way of routing wires from the psa through to the oem junction box near the tongue.