Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anaylysis Paralysis

Thanks everyone...
    I have been researching since last summer, but of course the pandemic created a firestorm of sales and it was hard to look through "skeleton" inventory and could only do online walkthroughs. But I have recently been able to get opportunities. I have been conflicted between Jayco Eagle and GD reflection 5th Wheels. To be transparent - I am also a member on a Jayco forum as well asking similar questions:
    Through your experiences, If you all could breakdown quality of build/construction, customer service, amenities etc... on both or either that you like/dislike.. a la carte options vs all in one .....convince me!

Also, This is going to be a Full time Rig as long as possible - hopefully. I

have seen GD and Jayco build tours on Youtube... and like the overall construction of GD especially around the windows with aluminum framing and lamination testing.... Jayco also has good construction especially with roofing and their lamination though not sure how their testing is and think it is only spot checks vs GD does it on every panel.... from what I have researched.

Does anyone know if the 2022 models will do away with carpeting like most of the industry is doing?

Anyway, thanks

Rob

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to try to "convince" you - I'll just relate our experiences full-timing in a Reflection fifth wheel for 4-1/2 years.

Our previous unit was a 2016 Reflection 337RLS built late spring of 2015. The Reflection 337 is a beast for a "mid-profile" fifth wheel with lots of storage space and an excellent floor plan. It also has a healthy pin weight - ours consistently weighed in at about 3,000 lbs. on the pin (no generator, no W/D). (When you're matching a fifth wheel and tow vehicle, use 23% of the trailer's GVWR to estimate loaded pin weight - NOT the published dry pin weights.) The only major problem we had with it in those 4-1/2 years was the Norcold absorption refrigerator. It failed 3 - 4 times and had to have the cooling unit replaced once. Of course, this is not a GD issue and the Norcold refrigerators and similar designs are used in most brands of RVs.

My main complaint in regards to full-timing in a Reflection fifth wheel is the insulation in the underbelly. There is a layer of insulation on the underside of the floor, but nothing but a layer of vapor barrier on top of the Coroplast underbelly (I don't know what the setup is in the Jayco line you are considering). We got caught in some very cold weather situations and had problems with the water lines to the kitchen island freezing - even running the furnace. The Solitudes have a vapor barrier and a full layer of batt insulation on top of the Coroplast and this is one of the places where we've noticed a real difference. We've found ourselves much more comfortable this winter in the Solitude with DPWs and the better insulation. If you plan on chasing the sun, this shouldn't be an issue for you. Having lived with and without, I'm also a fan of dual pane windows. Many of the other appliances and components are pretty much the same no matter what brand of RV you buy until you get into the super-high-end bracket, so that's a wash.

Of course, with any unit you want to do a thorough PDI or pay a certified inspector to do it for you. Catching things that aren't quite right (like roof caulking or adhesion problems) right out of the gate will prevent them developing into bigger problems down the road. I think this is true of any brand.

I've owned a Coleman (owned by Fleetwood at the time and since sold to Dutchmen) camper and a Forest River travel trailer. I did not have major issues or warranty claims with either of those so I can't compare their customer service with GD. I can tell you that GD has taken very good care of us with both of our units. As full-timers, it's difficult to get the rig into a dealer for anything... even if you happen to be near one. On our Reflection, GD authorized a mobile technician for warranty work and paid for everything (one time we were one block away from a GD dealership with a poor reputation). Most recently GD, under warranty, had a Furrion convection/microwave drop-shipped to us for me to replace the unit that died.

I hope this helps...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info
    We are thinking 337 or 320 and yes the pin weight is a concern I hear 15-20% of gvwr but I guess until I get one I won’t know it . I have a 2500 Ram with payload of 3660 (so they told me) it’s being built right now so we will see. My research is in that ballpark!

Do you use W/D? Any insight on that?
    And since you are retired military have you stayed at the military RV sites- I am disabled 100% with DOD cards & I plan to use those often.
    Thanks again

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elconquistador View Post
    Thanks for the info
    We are thinking 337 or 320 and yes the pin weight is a concern I hear 15-20% of gvwr but I guess until I get one I won’t know it . I have a 2500 Ram with payload of 3660 (so they told me) it’s being built right now so we will see. My research is in that ballpark!

Do you use W/D? Any insight on that?
    And since you are retired military have you stayed at the military RV sites- I am disabled 100% with DOD cards & I plan to use those often.
    Thanks again
    A 2500 with 3,660 payload? Wow! That's well into 1-ton territory. I'd wait and get the truck, check the sticker, and weigh it (the truck) before making a decision on an RV. 20 - 25% is the normal range for pin weight of a loaded fifth wheel, though. When you get all the numbers, you can plug them in here and do some calculations:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

By "W/D" if you mean washer and dryer, yes, we have them. They are a stacked pair of Whirlpools (vented dryer). It's one of the best things we did moving to the Solitude.

We stay at military FamCamps all the time. In fact, we're wintering on Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland right now. There are varying stay limits, but MWR at APG has waved that during the pandemic. You can find a lot of information on military campgrounds and RV parks here:

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2500 is a 4x2 with 4.1 gear ratio. I have reached out to my dealer and he said it is between 3610-3660; Like I said it is being built so until it comes in I won't know for sure. towing capacity is in the 17500 range also.

thanks for the calc and the info - maybe meet up one day out there!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A 2500 with 3,660 payload? Wow! That's well into 1-ton territory. I'd wait and get the truck, check the sticker, and weigh it (the truck) before making a decision on an RV. 20 - 25% is the normal range for pin weight of a loaded fifth wheel, though. When you get all the numbers, you can plug them in here and do some calculations:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

By "W/D" if you mean washer and dryer, yes, we have them. They are a stacked pair of Whirlpools (vented dryer). It's one of the best things we did moving to the Solitude.

We stay at military FamCamps all the time. In fact, we're wintering on Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland right now. There are varying stay limits, but MWR at APG has waved that during the pandemic. You can find a lot of information on military campgrounds and RV parks here:

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Rob
    Our Ram 2500 with 6.4 liter Hemi V8 payload capacity is 3480.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Our Ram 2500 with 6.4 liter Hemi V8 payload capacity is 3480.
    Wow! These new gas trucks are really getting up there! Do the scales jive with the sticker?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so excellent, so very close then
    thanks for the info

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elconquistador View Post
    Ok so excellent, so very close then
    thanks for the info
    If you're not getting a Cummins then your payload should be pretty close to those numbers, but likely a little less.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk