User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 1 of Group 24 to Group 31 AGM Conversion (Solar Project for Momentum 399TH)

Decided to add solar to our rig to keep the batteries more or less full so we could run our propane heater and stereo at night without running the generator all night after it's been sitting all day. We learned that there are two huge stereo woofers (one inside and one outside) and a sizable amp that draw an incredible amount of 12v juice. The sound is great, but coupled with lights and the propane heater at night, our dealer-installed Group 24s (two of them) were just not enough for a full night of dry camping on the huge rig.

For such an expensive and overall well built RV, I'm surprised that the factory/dealer battery and wiring install was just 100% junk with horrible and efficient grounding (a #10 screw to the frame was the only real basis for grounding the entire 12 volt system!). The factory/dealer wire materials were absolute also junk... copper clad copper (aka CCC), which is VERY inferior Chinese copper and is not even real copper. More on that later...

First step, pitch Group 24 batteries that were held in place in a cheap plastic tray with only one #6 screw. Added mat for insulation and cushioning purpose since the metal the new AGM batteries sit on is fairly thin. The Group 24s weighed about 100 pounds together and the USA Made Group 31 AGM Duracells weigh @200 pounds all together. I may end up adding a metal support bracket under the carriage later (I will see how it performs).

Added aluminum and alloy brackets and secured them with stainless steel screws, washers, and lock-washers. Sealed holes in RV metal with rust inhibitor and sealed outside undercarriage area with the stainless screws with rubberized silicon coating to protect from the elements and rust. I also sprayed a can of real rust inhibitor/converter to the metal undercarriage while I was down there... huge difference.

The orange battery strapping is temporary since I plan on putting real USA Made webbing later on.

I will post more an this project progresses...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RV Bat 2.jpg   RV Bat 1.jpg   Rv Bat 5.jpg   RV Bat 6.jpg  

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your new battery "tray". I might borrow some of that when I eventually upgrade our 311 batteries.

On a side note, speaking of junky grounds, look behind the false wall in your basement. My 399 had about 14 ground wires for lighting and other stuff connected together with a single wire nut behind that false wall. I purchased a 20 terminal ground bus bar and cleaned everything up and made proper connections.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you...

I replaced the "Boston type switch" in the basement with a real good two position switch (will post more pics later) and saw that compartment... I'm afraid to even look in there, lol.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandseahawk View Post
    Decided to add solar to our rig to keep the batteries more or less full so we could run our propane heater and stereo at night without running the generator all night after it's been sitting all day.
    Thank you Thank you! For posting this mod. I want to do essentially the same thing for the same purposes. I have yet to boondock/dry camp my rig, so your heads up on battery capacity is very helpful.

I'm going to subscribe to your posts so I can follow what you're doing (have done?) and I'll probably have questions. I'm also kind of bummed about the rat's nest in the generator compartment, so your clean ups are a great example to follow.

Thanks again...
    signature