User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How cold before propane will stop working?

The forecast is 1 degree for Monday night.
    Thanks! Pat

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it gets below -44F propane won't evaporate (liquid to gas in the tank) and will cause low pressure issues in your system. We've been in the "upper" single digits without any problems - other than burning through a lot of propane!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If it gets below -44F propane won't evaporate (liquid to gas in the tank) and will cause low pressure issues in your system. We've been in the "upper" single digits without any problems - other than burning through a lot of propane!

Rob
    Looks like I will be ok.
    I have drained the water system.
    I'm running the heater anyway.
    Thank you!!
    Pat

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pat View Post
    Thanks! Pat
    Ive used propane in an industrial setting down to -40 and below but had to cover tank and provide external heat (heat lamp etc).

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I will be ok.
    I have drained the water system.
    I'm running the heater anyway.
    Thank you!!
    Pat
    It's good you're running the furnace - just draining the water system isn't enough. There will still be water in low places in the lines, P-traps, and the water pump. Everything would need to be blown with a compressor or pumped with antifreeze, the pump run dry, and antifreeze in the P-traps for complete protection without heat.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got down to -22 and still had heat and stove. The propane tanks are covered which helps protect from chilling effect of wind. I have seen some folks with electric blankets for their propane tanks, supposedly it make them more efficient. Engineers know, I don't.

One odd thing you may think about; the gas evaporation refrigerators will quit when it get that cold. Easiest way to prevent that is to put a light bulb inside the refrigerator compartment. The RV refrigerators usually have an outlet near them to plug into, just add a 100 watt light bulb.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Pat
    This is crazy right?? San Antonio forecast for Monday night is 3-7 degrees, they're not sure yet lol! I got mine back from the dealer Wednesday and it's tucked away in enclosed storage. I don't winterize mine so the furnace is on 50 degrees and the tank heaters and water heater are on. The storage room usually stays 10-15 degrees above outside temp so other than burning some propane it will be fine. Thank goodness for 50 amp service, this is too cold for South Texas!!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    This is crazy right?? San Antonio forecast for Monday night is 3-7 degrees, they're not sure yet lol! I got mine back from the dealer Wednesday and it's tucked away in enclosed storage. I don't winterize mine so the furnace is on 50 degrees and the tank heaters and water heater are on. The storage room usually stays 10-15 degrees above outside temp so other than burning some propane it will be fine. Thank goodness for 50 amp service, this is too cold for South Texas!!
    We left MN on Tue thinking we were headed to a warmer climate. 8F last night in Austin, TX. Propane is going fast.
    Rolling blackouts are a PITA, hard to supplement furnace with fireplace.
    Last edited by fmartinmn; 02-15-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    We got down to -22 and still had heat and stove. The propane tanks are covered which helps protect from chilling effect of wind. I have seen some folks with electric blankets for their propane tanks, supposedly it make them more efficient. Engineers know, I don't.

One odd thing you may think about; the gas evaporation refrigerators will quit when it get that cold. Easiest way to prevent that is to put a light bulb inside the refrigerator compartment. The RV refrigerators usually have an outlet near them to plug into, just add a 100 watt light bulb.
    You do realize that "wind chill" has no effect on metal objects other than to speed up the cooling effect until that object reaches the ambient temperature!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You do realize that "wind chill" has no effect on metal objects other than to speed up the cooling effect until that object reaches the ambient temperature!
    Xrated you are correct.

I did use the term chilling effect as opposed to wind chill. And I agree with you, the use of air movement that speeds up the cooling effect would have been a better use of words. I liken the idea I was trying to convey as the faster transfer of temperature as a result of air moving across an object. Kind of like blowing on hot soup to cool it more quickly.

I have often admitted to being functionally illiterate. This makes it difficult for me accurately communicate ideas. Doesn't make the idea wrong, just the way I say it is.

I apologize if anyone thinks I was misleading or untruthful. That is never my intention. And when I am wrong about something, I will admit it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast