User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks WickedAce......excellent info.
    We like Wicked are very similar. We have a 4500 Westinghouse / Cummins DF dual fuel inverter generator. Easily powers 15,000 watt AC, and EVERY other device at the same time. No need for soft start or turning off anything. Remote start even. Can go 18 hours on tank fill up of gas or similar with 20 gal of propane. Cost $1067.

Only issue is weight but I also have ramps to get out of the TV as it has wheels and a handle. My wife and I can easily lift it down as it’s 97 lbs empty.

These and the Champions are as quiet as Honda’s with no worry about enough power or soft starts on air conditioners.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    We like Wicked are very similar. We have a 4500 Westinghouse / Cummins DF dual fuel inverter generator. Easily powers 15,000 watt AC, and EVERY other device at the same time. No need for soft start or turning off anything. Remote start even. Can go 18 hours on tank fill up of gas or similar with 20 gal of propane. Cost $1067.

Only issue is weight but I also have ramps to get out of the TV as it has wheels and a handle. My wife and I can easily lift it down as it’s 97 lbs empty.

These and the Champions are as quiet as Honda’s with no worry about enough power or soft starts on air conditioners.
    Thanks Sailor, have not considered the Westinghouse.....will look into it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend the Champion Dual Fuel 3500 inverter generator, we really like running it on propane because we don't need to deal with any gasoline or gasoline storage. We keep a spare 20 lb propane tank in the back of the pickup that we use for both the generator and our propane fire pit.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I am wanting to buy a generator for my 230RL, but now my brain hurts.....I know that EVERYONE except for me knows how to compute how much wattage each appliance in camper uses so I can buy an appropriate or fair size generator......but I don't.
    I have an extra 30 amp ac unit on mine but I just know what to get.
    Microwave, ac and on......will someone please explain.

As close as I can GUESS, I am thinking of something around 3000(ish).

Thanks to all in advance.
    Ray
    Well, for what its worth, my pedastal surge and spike monitors watts, VA, Amps, etc. While running AC, TV, and lights and stuff, I am usually drawing about 2300 watts. If you do the math, 2300 watts @ 120V is about 23-25 Amps depending on any power factor. With most of the loads resistive, shouldn't be too much capacitance or inductance.

If you get a 2500 to 3000 watt generator, you will be fine. AC pulls most of the watts and drops down to very little when it goes off.

The few times we are forced to run @ 30A based on site availabiity or campground, the 30A runs everything. I only have tripped the breaker when I start the microwave with the AC, TV, and lights all on.

Doing the math working backwards, on a 30A, 120V circuit using a .9 Power Factor, the most you can possibly draw from that source is 3200 watts. That should tell you that most of the time, you will be below that. All that said, a 3000 watt inverter generator will do the job and give you all you can get from the pedestal anyway.

Just my $.02 :-)
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 3200 watt WEN. Quietest I could find.
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWood View Post
    I bought a 3200 watt WEN. Quietest I could find.
    If this is what you got, ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-00...6352/203576895 ) you might want to rethink that choice. Although it will provide electricity it's truly a construction site generator and won't play well with appliances and electronics in your RV. Without getting into the heavy electrical theory, mechanical and electronic differences, you want to get an inverter generator with <5% THD (total harmonic distortion). <3% is better yet as it gets closer to true sine wave. Inverter generators tend to run more quite anyway. That is the reason I suggested the Champion 3400 Watt and there were others mentioned
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-17-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, speaking of can of worms...
    When I looked into the soft start aspect several months ago I thought the consensus was you don't really need the soft start on newer units. Doesn't GD build AC with software technology built in?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    If this is what you got, ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-00...6352/203576895 ) you might want to rethink that choice. Although it will provide electricity it's truly a construction site generator and won't play well with appliances and electronics in your RV. Without getting into the heavy electrical theory, mechanical and electronic differences, you want to get an inverter generator with <5% THD (total harmonic distortion). <3% is better yet as it gets closer to true sine wave. Inverter generators tend to run more quite anyway. That is the reason I suggested the Champion 3400 Watt and there were others mentioned
    Whoops... scared me! Here is what I purchased: WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off. Better?
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Mittan View Post
    Ok, speaking of can of worms...
    When I looked into the soft start aspect several months ago I thought the consensus was you don't really need the soft start on newer units. Doesn't GD build AC with software technology built in?
    That would be (welcome) news to me. It's cheaper to go the capacitor route, that's usually why they do it that way. An electrolytic capacitor is much cheaper than a solid state current ramp device. For comparison, the capacitor usually runs about $40-$60. The soft start device is almost $200.00.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast