User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Mittan View Post
    Ok, speaking of can of worms...
    When I looked into the soft start aspect several months ago I thought the consensus was you don't really need the soft start on newer units. Doesn't GD build AC with software technology built in?
    There are two ways to go with the A/C units: One is a "Hard Start" device and the other is a "Soft Start" device. The hard start device can be purchased for around $30 from Amazon and the soft start device is $200 or more.

I had an older camper that I had trouble getting to work with my 3500 Watt Champion Generator running on Propane, I installed the hard start device and never had any more trouble.

Theoretically, the soft start device is easier on the A/C unit, however, the newer A/C units from Coleman come with the hard start devices already installed, this explains why I don't have any trouble running the A/C units on my new GD coach.

The hard start devices are simply larger capacitors that help the compressor get started when it is first turned on. The soft start devices simply ramp up the energy to get the compressor started. Different approaches to solve the same problem.

I must note that my issue with the older A/C unit was in the middle of the day, in HOT Sunny Florida, the previous evening I had no trouble running the A/C for several hours without the hard start device installed.

It is my experience that you do not need either device on the newer GD coaches.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain a little more about this comment convert the AC to soft start capacity”. I use a generator for my new 200mk trailer (sold my 320MKS after my husband passed). We had my current generator for that, but honestly have never heard of this. Can you please explain.
    Cheers,
    Jodi-Anne

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These hard start/ soft start additions are for air conditions which overload the small 2200 generators at their start up.
    After the ac is running the small generators are able to keep up ( caveat you may need to turn off if you want to run a microwave or hair dryer)

Or if you don’t have a generator or in the market for a new one, you can buy a inverter/ generator which has enough power ( 3000-4000) at the get go to run all devices. The new ones Westinghouse-Cummins/ Champion / maybe Wen are very efficient, well built, quiet as any Honda, and some are dual fuel and have remote starts.

We have a Westinghouse 4500 dual fuel , can run everything all at the same times, never needs a soft or hard start and has a remote capability. All for $1069.....cheaper than most smaller Honda 2200.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    Mark,
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain a little more about this comment convert the AC to soft start capacity”. I use a generator for my new 200mk trailer (sold my 320MKS after my husband passed). We had my current generator for that, but honestly have never heard of this. Can you please explain.
    Cheers,
    Jodi-Anne
    Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Microair, the company that makes the EasyStart.

I have done a bunch of research on this, more so on the electronic properties/design. Simply because I over research most things that seen like a good thing (ask my wife, okay, please don't ask my wife). In this case, I was researching solar for our coach. I did all the calculations and came up with the total amperage that we were need a solar system to produce. I was kind of shocked at the total; close to 800 amps! I was looking into ways to reduce that number, which I found out that most people with a "reasonable" solar install usually don't use the AC, microwave, hair dryer, flat iron, CPAPs, heater, my computer for work, all at the same time. During this research, I came across the DryCampers on YouTube. Mike strongly recommends converting the AC units to EasyStarts. That got me looking into those. In fact, I found several schematics (not Microair) that allowed me to understand the concept behind them (I have an electrical engineering background/hobby).

It convinced me well enough that I've actually installed one in our sticks-and-bricks, who ever buys the house when we go full time will probably notice that it isn't as loud as it could be when starting up. (Off topic, sorry.)

Hope I didn't ramble on to much and lose you as my audience...

Here are several links. The first one is to the product itself, the rest are articles discussing them. The following is from the manufacturers website: "EasyStart[emoji769] is a one-of-a-kind, custom-developed soft starter for single-phase motors. It employs a 4-part start ramp sequence that is self-optimizing, resulting in the lowest possible start-up current. EasyStart can deliver 65-75% start current reduction as compared to a compressor's LRA (locked-rotor amperage). EasyStart is the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned. It can also be applied to air compressor and fluid pump motors."

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

https://rvlife.com/softstartrv-air-conditioner/

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ft-start-caps/

https://explorerrvclub.com/blog/what...-soft-starter/

https://camperreport.com/softstartrv-questions/

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123