User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Novice 101 question about wattage information....

I am wanting to buy a generator for my 230RL, but now my brain hurts.....I know that EVERYONE except for me knows how to compute how much wattage each appliance in camper uses so I can buy an appropriate or fair size generator......but I don't.
    I have an extra 30 amp ac unit on mine but I just know what to get.
    Microwave, ac and on......will someone please explain.

As close as I can GUESS, I am thinking of something around 3000(ish).

Thanks to all in advance.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I am wanting to buy a generator for my 230RL, but now my brain hurts.....I know that EVERYONE except for me knows how to compute how much wattage each appliance in camper uses so I can buy an appropriate or fair size generator......but I don't.

Ray
    Ray,

Without knowing what you want to run, and for how long, a good ballpark estimate would be a 3500-4000 watt RUNNING generator, this will handle the AC; you will have to turn off the AC to use the microwave though. The peak power will be between 4000 and 6500 watts. This will be true for either a 30 or 50 amp coach. You just have to be judicious with your power usage.

You also will want to convert the AC capacitor to a soft start device. What those do is ramp up the power surely, so it's not a huge hit when the condenser and pump kick on. It will also most likely prolong the life of the AC unit.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain a little more about this comment convert the AC to soft start capacity”. I use a generator for my new 200mk trailer (sold my 320MKS after my husband passed). We had my current generator for that, but honestly have never heard of this. Can you please explain.
    Cheers,
    Jodi-Anne

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    Mark,
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain a little more about this comment convert the AC to soft start capacity”. I use a generator for my new 200mk trailer (sold my 320MKS after my husband passed). We had my current generator for that, but honestly have never heard of this. Can you please explain.
    Cheers,
    Jodi-Anne
    Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Microair, the company that makes the EasyStart.

I have done a bunch of research on this, more so on the electronic properties/design. Simply because I over research most things that seen like a good thing (ask my wife, okay, please don't ask my wife). In this case, I was researching solar for our coach. I did all the calculations and came up with the total amperage that we were need a solar system to produce. I was kind of shocked at the total; close to 800 amps! I was looking into ways to reduce that number, which I found out that most people with a "reasonable" solar install usually don't use the AC, microwave, hair dryer, flat iron, CPAPs, heater, my computer for work, all at the same time. During this research, I came across the DryCampers on YouTube. Mike strongly recommends converting the AC units to EasyStarts. That got me looking into those. In fact, I found several schematics (not Microair) that allowed me to understand the concept behind them (I have an electrical engineering background/hobby).

It convinced me well enough that I've actually installed one in our sticks-and-bricks, who ever buys the house when we go full time will probably notice that it isn't as loud as it could be when starting up. (Off topic, sorry.)

Hope I didn't ramble on to much and lose you as my audience...

Here are several links. The first one is to the product itself, the rest are articles discussing them. The following is from the manufacturers website: "EasyStart[emoji769] is a one-of-a-kind, custom-developed soft starter for single-phase motors. It employs a 4-part start ramp sequence that is self-optimizing, resulting in the lowest possible start-up current. EasyStart can deliver 65-75% start current reduction as compared to a compressor's LRA (locked-rotor amperage). EasyStart is the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned. It can also be applied to air compressor and fluid pump motors."

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

https://rvlife.com/softstartrv-air-conditioner/

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ft-start-caps/

https://explorerrvclub.com/blog/what...-soft-starter/

https://camperreport.com/softstartrv-questions/

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray
    Ray - GDRV Owners Manuals have a page stating amps for both the 120V and 12V systems along with the most often used electrical items. At the top of the page is a simple formula watts divided by volts = amps. You can determine which of these items you may use all at the same time to help determine how big (watts) of a generator you may wish to buy.

I think it may be page 103 of your Owners Manual. Here's the link to the GDRV Owners Manual page where you can identify yours and look online if you do not have your paper version.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray
    Generally you can run one big item (about 1500 watts) with the 2000-2200 watt generator. Such as a hair dryer or electric water heater or electric fireplace or microwave but not your AC. You would need a 3000 W generator to run an AC. You will have to be careful with a 2200 W generator determining how many appliances you have on at one time. There is some parasitic draw at all times and the converter or electric fridge can draw some power (wattage) at any time. Here are some examples that I got for my rig;

AC Appliances
    Converter 700
    Elec water heater 1500
    TV 80
    AC 1500 (but much more at startup called inrush current)
    Microwave 1500
    Fireplace 1300
    AC Fridge 375

DC Appliances
    Power vent fan 50
    LED light single 5
    LED awning lights 40
    Fridge on gas 10-20
    Water pump 70
    Furnace fan 75
    Parasitic 5

There will always be limits on what can run simultaneously with a generator. Hopefully this helps.

Brian
    Last edited by Scramjet; 02-12-2021 at 07:27 PM.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray
    Ray, First, Thank you for your service! Just a couple of quick points. If you want to invest in a generator, do not buy a "utility" type generator. These are more for a construction site where workers plug in saws and the like. The problem is they usually only put out 15 - 20 amps per leg. So even if the genny is rated at 4500 watts, your limited by the circuit breakers on the plug. Look for a genny that is set up for RV use. Also, look for an inverter genny, they are much kinder to your electronics.

As for wattage, I ran a 30 amp RV off a Champion 3200 watt generator with success. Some caveats, I only had 1 A/C, but it was a 15k BTU unit, so it did draw quite a bit. I could run the A/C and most other things except the microwave and electric water heater at the same time.

Believe it or not, the generator linked below is quite popular and is set up for an RV (note the 30 amp plug on the control panel).

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are awesome......
    Thank you so much.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last wattage thought.

Virtually every time you power your rig, genny or shore, your battery charger will begin at its highest output. If the supply is at all limited that is not the time to switch on the AC!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray
    As you ponder your wattage requirements and get that figured out, think about other future upgrades you might make...like a battery bank and inverter/charger. The hybrid I/Cs will use battery power to supplement shore power (or generator) for short periods to provide some serious power and allow you to travel with a much smaller genny. Of course, this solution would not be for running a 2nd AC all day long...but 25 minutes, or so, to get your rig cooled down. Good Luck!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast