User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob to the Momentums and 5th wheels

I'm not new to long trailers. I had a Jayco Eagle flat top, 40 footer all behind the tailgate. I brought the 397 from the dealer to the storage lot, straight out and straight in. I'll admit it is a strange sensation with the unit basically in the back seat with you.

Easily apparent totally different beast from the backing aspect. Fortunately my son is a over the road trucker. He can put a 53ft van (filled with 41000 lbs of Dos XX) into a 10ft wide hole the first time. He's coming home in a couple of weeks and we are heading off to the local mall (mostly closed), but huge parking lot and I told him we are not leaving until I can put the 397 in a 12ft wide full ninety hole (I'll give him the 2 feet). He's been bragging. We will find out.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea where the trailer with the Dos XX is parked? LOL.

You're lucky you have someone to show you the ins and outs. Most of us are still learning after several years. I just go slow with the wife as a spotter and get it parked eventually.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new trailer. Please report on your sons impression of backing a 5th wheel. Swivel point and mirror visibility are different than a tractor trailer.

The other thing is to take some cones, paper cups, or other markers and study on the effects of tail swing. Ditto with figuring out how much clearance you need to make a 90 degree turn onto another street.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget to work with the tail swing for that trailer to figure out the extra space it requires in turns that most 18 wheelers don't have. Also a good time to measure for your actual height. Enjoy!

Edit: Dallas beat me to it. 🙂
    Last edited by JCR GD; 02-13-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 210craig View Post
    I'm not new to long trailers. I had a Jayco Eagle flat top, 40 footer all behind the tailgate. I brought the 397 from the dealer to the storage lot, straight out and straight in. I'll admit it is a strange sensation with the unit basically in the back seat with you.

Easily apparent totally different beast from the backing aspect. Fortunately my son is a over the road trucker. He can put a 53ft van (filled with 41000 lbs of Dos XX) into a 10ft wide hole the first time. He's coming home in a couple of weeks and we are heading off to the local mall (mostly closed), but huge parking lot and I told him we are not leaving until I can put the 397 in a 12ft wide full ninety hole (I'll give him the 2 feet). He's been bragging. We will find out.
    I too would be very interested in your sons comparison of backing a tractor/trailer vs a PU/5th wheel. Please let us know.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023