User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuck in Freeport, Texas with Below Freezing Temps Predicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I came down to the Freeport, Texas area to spend the month of February before the High Season rates start. The weather was outstanding to start but, WHOA!!!! Starting Sunday, 2/16/21, the temperature is predicted to stay below freezing (as low as 16 degrees) through Tuesday morning. I'm at a Brazoria County park and they will be turning the water off in preparation for the hard freeze. Is there anything I can do to protect the pipes in the underbelly during this time?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep that furnace going. That is what heats the underbelly. Worse case, if its really going way below freezing for a few days is to blow the lines.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep your fresh water tank full, dump tank valves shut, and furnace going. Keep an eye on propane and know where to fill it, dont wait until both tanks are empty. When we lived in our Momentum, we went through a 30lb tank in about 2.5 days when it was in the low teens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, I've got the small tanks. I'm using the gas sparingly right now and will get them refilled on Sunday before the deep freeze starts. The roads will be treacherous if we get rain. I would have to cross over the Intercoastal Waterway bridge to get to a propane supply place on Monday but they may have that bridge closed.

My gray tank valve is broken in the open position. Should I wrap it with something?

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzm99 View Post

My gray tank valve is broken in the open position. Should I wrap it with something?
    If you can wrap it, do it. I would use fiberglass insulation and wrap the sewer hose and everything not in the underbelly.

One of my black valves was leaking and had a small drip. I only figured it out when temps were in the teens and my entire sewer hose froze solid, froze some of my sewer pipe on the camper. I wrapped it all in foil, added heat tape and then fiber glass insulation, it was thawed out the next day.

You might be ok with the valve being full open since it wont be a small drip, just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should buy a third small tank?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might even consider a larger tank, depending on cost difference.
    Good luck.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzm99 View Post
    Maybe I should buy a third small tank?
    Or rent one. A rental equipment company near me rents 30/40/100 pound propane tanks, to pricey for an extended period of time but ok for a week. With both propane tanks filled to start off with leave them both open. You have a cutover switch that will switch between the tanks automatically when one empties. On that switch is a color indicator and a lever, when the color indicator turns red the tank the lever is pointing to is empty, switch the lever, turn the tank valve off and go fill.

Fill your water tank then disconnect the hose and drain it. Refill when the temps come back up.

Sewer hose, the key to that is a smooth even flow without any dips or kinks. Slinkys, stiff plastic hose guides, or rain gutters work well for this. So long as there is no place for the water to back up you can leave the valves open, the water will come out warm enough to run the length of the sewer hose into the ground. Warning, sewer hoses get very brittle when it freezes, try not to move it below 25f.

It is imperative that you run the propane furnace to keep under parts from freezing, but you can use small electric heater to supplement, just don't get carried away with it.

At night open your cabinet doors and drawers, this helps to disperse the heat evenly throughout the trailer.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeath, old mother nature is going to play a rude joke on us here in southern Texas. Just follow what other members are saying and you'll be fine. But stay off the roads, here in South Texas the counties and state do not have the equipment to deal with snow and ice effectively and Texas drivers are nuts in this kind of weather, they won't slow down for anything and the flyovers in big cities will be deadly! Just hunker down for a couple days then it will be back up in the 70's.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Yeath, old mother nature is going to play a rude joke on us here in southern Texas. Just follow what other members are saying and you'll be fine. But stay off the roads, here in South Texas the counties and state do not have the equipment to deal with snow and ice effectively and Texas drivers are nuts in this kind of weather, they won't slow down for anything and the flyovers in big cities will be deadly! Just hunker down for a couple days then it will be back up in the 70's.
    Hey Steve, I am down here in the Austin area. Still winterized, but using the black tank with bottled water. I want to add more RV antifreeze to my tanks, but none can be had in this area. I did find a Prestone product that is Propylene glycol based. Can I use that in my black & grey tank? Thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast