User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22MLE camping in cold weather

We bought our 22MLE last month and camped 3 nights in semi-cold weather...mid 30's at night. We had no issues and remained toasty inside. We did, however, book a few trips in advance and next weekend we have a site booked near Alexandria Louisiana. The temps are forecast to get down to 27 on Friday night. I work offshore in the oil & gas industry and am at work currently. I did drain all of my lines and tanks prior to coming to work so I am not concerned about the trailer during the next few days as it is forecast to get down to 11 at home. Has anyone used their 22MLE during freezing temps? Any issues? I'm guessing I could just dry camp Friday night because the temps after that are forecast to warm up to the 30's and 40's the next two nights.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2021 Ram 2500 Bighorn 4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 6.5 foot bed, 4.10, Payload cap 3090#,

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is currently winterized but I have read to fill the fresh tank, disconnect the outside hose and bring it in, keep tank valves closed, and keep the furnace on to heat the underbelly. Make sure you have enough propane and know where to get it refilled.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what @Tigger1 just said. On our last trip of the season last fall, the last week every night was below freezing. Everything went as planned. We did have more then expected condensation on the inside of the windows. To resolve this, we'll be getting a small dehumidifier. Now if there's a chance that you might miss propane then I'd blow the lines.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are leaving Monday for Padre Island National Seashore Monday before the next snow storm arrives. Our unit is winterized, and will stay that way until we got as far south to get above freezing temps. Dry camping for the first couple of nights. We have heated water tanks, but right now I am sure the fresh water drain valve is frozen in place, so the fresh water tank won't be of much use until we hit warm. At the moment both trailer and car are covered with road salt, as is everything on the road. Temps have not been above 25 in two weeks.... the roads are as white as the 15 inches of snow on the ground. In some cases whiter where snow is dirty.

I'd say that at -11F, you will need to keep the furnace running and watch your water tanks for freezing... For most reliable water, use a heated hose for water supply otherwise fill your fresh water tank and keep the furnace running 24/7 when its below freezing. Most importantly, make sure the duct work that goes under the trailer is properly installed. We found ours flopping on the floor under the fridge on our pre inspection delivery. It was heating the fridge, not the underbelly. "Quality is not job one."
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    We are leaving Monday for Padre Island National Seashore Monday before the next snow storm arrives. Our unit is winterized, and will stay that way until we got as far south to get above freezing temps. Dry camping for the first couple of nights. We have heated water tanks, but right now I am sure the fresh water drain valve is frozen in place, so the fresh water tank won't be of much use until we hit warm. At the moment both trailer and car are covered with road salt, as is everything on the road. Temps have not been above 25 in two weeks.... the roads are as white as the 15 inches of snow on the ground. In some cases whiter where snow is dirty.

I'd say that at -11F, you will need to keep the furnace running and watch your water tanks for freezing... For most reliable water, use a heated hose for water supply otherwise fill your fresh water tank and keep the furnace running 24/7 when its below freezing. Most importantly, make sure the duct work that goes under the trailer is properly installed. We found ours flopping on the floor under the fridge on our pre inspection delivery. It was heating the fridge, not the underbelly. "Quality is not job one."
    Did you add the heated water tanks?
    At -11F I wouldn't take a chance and I'd blow the lines and empty all tanks. I find that just to cold for the Imagine line. But that's just me.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Did you add the heated water tanks?
    At -11F I wouldn't take a chance and I'd blow the lines and empty all tanks. I find that just to cold for the Imagine line. But that's just me.

I agree Ynot4me2, minus 11F is waaay too cold for this cajun boy. LOL. Mid 20's would be the lowest temp I would care to try camping. As I stated earlier, I have all of the lines drained from the low point drain. We are still weighing our options at this point.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2021 Ram 2500 Bighorn 4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 6.5 foot bed, 4.10, Payload cap 3090#,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyD View Post
    I agree Ynot4me2, minus 11F is waaay too cold for this cajun boy. LOL. Mid 20's would be the lowest temp I would care to try camping. As I stated earlier, I have all of the lines drained from the low point drain. We are still weighing our options at this point.
    Given where we live and that the first couple of days of any winter trip to the south means at least one night in subfreezing cold, I wanted water tank heaters installed. I had a local Grand Design dealer install the water tank heaters while the trailer was in their heated shop. I would have done it but the idea of removing and reinstalling the belly cover and doing the wiring work while outside seemed positively insane, especially given my (lack) of skill level. They run on 12 volts, one thermostat turns all three on just above freezing. There is a switch in the bathroom that turns the system off. I haven't had to use them yet. I will find out how well it works in the week!
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well last night we ran out of gas in one of the tanks, I had the propane control set to take from only one tank and the water line to the back of the camper froze. Its 10 degrees this morning where we are. It's supposed to get above freezing today, we will keep the heat on, but expect more cold weather tonight. Hopefully there is no broken pipes. We have cold water in the kitchen.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    Well last night we ran out of gas in one of the tanks, I had the propane control set to take from only one tank and the water line to the back of the camper froze. Its 10 degrees this morning where we are. It's supposed to get above freezing today, we will keep the heat on, but expect more cold weather tonight. Hopefully there is no broken pipes. We have cold water in the kitchen.
    Oh no. Good luck. PEX is pretty resilient to damage from freezing. Keep us posted.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE