User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water hammer

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Isn't there suppose to be some air space in the water heater such than when it is filled there is some air in the top of the tank to allow for expansion? Isn't there a particular way to fill the water heater to establish (or re-establish) that air pocket? Could lack of an air pocket cause the noise?

I like the idea about the pump being on.
    There will be some air at the top of the water heater, but that doesn't stop water from "boiling" when the pressure is reduced by opening a faucet. I don't think it's water hammer here, from what @Hobo Bill is describing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I think Rob @Second Chance has you on the right track. But if that does not pan out, any chance you have your water pump turned on? My thought is when you first turn on the water, the pressure drops for a minute and the pump kicks in. Then pump turns off as soon as the pressure comes back up. Definitely a low possibility but wanted to toss it out there.

Chris
    Thanks Chris - I checked both the inside switch and outside switch and the pump is not on.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Bill View Post
    Thanks Chris - I checked both the inside switch and outside switch and the pump is not on.
    Just an FYI - the two pump switches work like light switches in a house where there is a switch by opposite doors for the same light. If one is off or on, you don't have to check the other one - the pump pilot light inside will tell you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Bill View Post
    2019 Reflection 337RLS. Last couple of weeks hearing a clunking noise - clunk clunk - when I turn on water - either hot or cold, or toilet. I am full timing in the same place for the last few months and on city water. Sound coming from behind the hutch where the hot water tank and water panel is. Doesn't happen every time, only happens a few times per day. Sounds like water hammer from taking in air somewhere, but I don't know where that would be from. Any ideas ??
    You have had some good responses here. I don’t know what the clunking could be but here are a couple of thoughts.

My experience from living in a fifth wheel for the last eight years is that after the water heater finishes heating there will be a higher pressure in the water system and the first faucet, hot or cold, opened will surge for a second or so. I have lived in two different rigs and both had the after heater shut off surge so I suspect it is normal. It becomes obvious when dry camping and only turn the water heater on for showers. I always figured the water in the water heater expanded and increases the pressure in the system causing the temporary surge of water. This may be related to your noise.

As someone else pointed out the rv water heaters have and need an air pocket in the top of the tank to work correctly. The water heater manual for my 2020 heater has a procedure for re-establishing the air pocket at the top of the heater. Check your manual. It goes something like, cool the heater off, turn off water, open a faucet, then open the pressure relief valve to let the heater suck in air. I do this on mine to keep the heater from weeping or dripping from the pressure relief valve.

If re-establishing the air bubble in the heater does not fix the noise then you need to take out the back basement wall and try to get it to make the noise while you are down there. You might have a piece of PEX knocking against something.

I think water heaters in RVs probably make all kinds of strange noises. In my old trailer the water heater would pop and groan, squeal and make all kinds of strange sounds.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 02-14-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12