User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake tires

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake tires

Just picked up a 2020 230RL used only 3 short trip times. I'm a first time RV'r but very mechanically inclined.....I don't like Chinese tires.
    My tires are in great but I want to change them.....I know....I'm anal but it is what it is.
    I am retired military (fighter jets), build dirt stock cars and crew on a team, have built drag cars also......in other words, I know a little.
    These Westlake tires might be ok but I need some assurance or tell me what is popular with you guys.....
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Just picked up a 2020 230RL used only 3 short trip times. I'm a first time RV'r but very mechanically inclined.....I don't like Chinese tires.
    My tires are in great but I want to change them.....I know....I'm anal but it is what it is.
    I am retired military (fighter jets), build dirt stock cars and crew on a team, have built drag cars also......in other words, I know a little.
    These Westlake tires might be ok but I need some assurance or tell me what is popular with you guys.....
    Thanks
    We use Goodyear G614 so far they’ve been great tires 14 ply truck tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are the load range E Westlakes, I would switch them out for Goodyear Endurance. The Westlake LR Es are the ones with the sketchy track record. The load range G Westlakes seem to be an entirely different animal (but only come on some Solitudes and Momentums). As for "Chinese tires," you will be hard-pressed to find any ST tire outside the Goodyears that aren't made in China. The Sailuns (made in China and some other Asian locations) are a highly respected ST tire with a good reputation. Many fleets use Sailun tires, as well. Businesses aren't going to put anything on the ground that costs them time and money...

Rob

EDIT/PS - other seasoned RVers on the forum will likely pipe in to say that, regardless of which brand of tire you run, running at the proper inflation pressures, checking them frequently, and installing a TMPS are the best things you can do to avoid tire failures.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 01-30-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted from the forum Rules
    • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Sir your comment was rude and removed by moderation

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-30-2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: rule violation
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had to post this in two places?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The G rated Westlakes are good tires. The E rated tires are the ones that stir up controversy and have led to 172 separate threads on the topic.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddy, I think you need to turn down a notch. Maybe all this quarantine, lockdowns..... is taking it toll. Everyone is entitled to ask questions and have an opinion. OP had a question and Rob followed with great advice. You're entitled to agree or not but to call this forum useless is pushing it a little.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks

I merged your 2 posts on the same topic, please don't post duplicate posts across the forum.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't make mistake I did with Westlake and think you could get a few more months or miles out of tires that look very good. I always check tire pressure before each trip. Had CHINA bomb blow on trip to Florida on busy Interstate 85 just out of Atlanta, thank God for those GA Highway Hero Units and their flashing lights that helped me change tire. When I got to campground changed all tire including spare to Goodyear Endurance made in USA. Pulled over as soon as tire blew and only lost plastic fender skirt and some slight damage to rim. If I had gone only 100 yards more would have destroyed rim.
    Get yourself a TPMS if you don't already own one. I like TireTraker because of lifetime warranty and already had to replace 2 tire sensors under warranty but there are several good TPMS out there.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the issue you had, but thanks for it also for mine and others sake......that's why i ask....
    Going to get Goodyear Endurances.....I call it, "an ounce of Prevention".
    Last edited by Rgpracer; 01-31-2021 at 06:12 PM. Reason: misspelling

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast