Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of buying a GD tt.. Independent suspension questions

Hello all..

The wife and I are not new to RV'ing and TT's. We are contemplating a purchase of a 2021 2250rk.. we boondock out west (drive from Michigan to the southwest for several weeks a year), and currently have an Airstream. One upside of the airstream is the suspension.. it is tough, tracks smooth and is easy pulling. Looking at the small shackles and springs on the GD, I am hesitant to trust this weaker set up on Michigan roads.. or BLM land trails we like to go on.

My thoughts were to get the upgraded moryde independent suspension system.

I've seen several posts on here of people who have done it.. can you fill me in on your experience? Cost? Did you have to drive to the moryde facility in Elkhart Indiana for the install?

Is there a better upgrade?

We are the kind of owners that want to do it "one and done" and the idea of bent axels, blown tires and bad bearings doesn't appeal to me.

Please advise.. thanks!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

I worked with Grand Design when I ordered my current RV to have them transport it to MORryde to have IS installed prior to shipping the RV to my dealer. They don't charge for this service (transporting to and from MORryde). I paid MORryde directly for the work. I think it was a round $6,600 for twin 7,000lb "axles" and disc brakes almost a year ago. The great part is I was able to get the work done at the Indiana factory without having to drive there and back from Oregon. I'm not aware of any better suspension than MORryde IS. But, I have heard that folks who are looking for maximum ground clearance for off-roading on BLM land might want to look at other options. If you search for "MORryde" you'll find many threads on the subject with more details. You'll also find folks who don't want to pay the heavy price for MORryde IS and recommend less expensive options that they think are equal or better.

BTW, MORryde IS won't help with blown tires or bad bearings but it will definitely help with bent axles and broken springs, shackles and hangers.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have about 70,000 miles of RV towing with no bad bearings yet! Knock on wood! But reading how many had issues with the seemingly flimsly (at least they look that way) running gear that comes on the new TT's.. and knowing how bad michigan roads are, I could see a "tweaked" axel causing stress on a tire or bearing.

Our current set up TT we run LT off road tires, and that TT sits a little lower than the stock Imagine. We figure we would be good on ground clearance (we dont get too insane on BLM land.. mild trails) with moryde if they sit approx the same.

I am open to other set ups.. heavier duty shackles that would bolt on to the same location, with shocks, etc..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, why are you getting out of your airstream?

On the surface, it looks like a downgrade especially in durability, but there are certainly upsides to the GD trailer too. Partly asking for self-serving reasons - been eyeing airstreams as possible in the future.

Don’t forget about the tires when you upgrade. Airstream today comes with Goodyear Endurance, all but the high end GD come with Westlake tires. Not starting a tire debate, but the Endurance are heavier and widely viewed as better, in addition to being made stateside. Our trailer came with Lions Head wheels, I think that’s pretty standard on the travel trailer side for GD. For my trailer with little 14in tires on 3k axles, the GY Endurance are ~120 each.

Edit: Just saw you run LTs. Only question there would be wheel air pressure rating if it’s higher than the stock tires.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are you getting out of your airstream?

On the surface, it looks like a downgrade especially in durability, but there are certainly upsides to the GD trailer too. Partly asking for self-serving reasons - been eyeing airstreams as possible in the future.

Don’t forget about the tires when you upgrade. Airstream today comes with Goodyear Endurance, all but the high end GD come with Westlake tires. Not starting a tire debate, but the Endurance are heavier and widely viewed as better, in addition to being made stateside. Our trailer came with Lions Head wheels, I think that’s pretty standard on the travel trailer side for GD. For my trailer with little 14in tires on 3k axles, the GY Endurance are ~120 each.

Edit: Just saw you run LTs. Only question there would be wheel air pressure rating if it’s higher than the stock tires.
    As for tires, we always upgrade to an LT style tire.. Michelins or Nokians (Nokians have served us very well on the current airstream). We also run centramics which cuts down on tire wear a ton.

As for why... Size and cost really. The market for airstreams is so busy right now that we can sell our lightly used Globetrotter for more than we originally paid for it. That amount would be enough to just about pay for a GD imagine. No payments.. lower bills.. more boondocking time for us away from our businesses.

Size is a boon as well. The AS is awesome.. until you get stuck on a rainy day without much to do, and then size gets to you. At least in the GD imagine, there are rooms, a comfy recliner.. etc. In the Globetrotter 23fs.. you have twin beds, and a dinette/kitchen and then the bathroom. Its "cozy".

When out in Utah or AZ gemstone hunting on BLM land... we spend much of the day out of the trailer. I will rock hound and hike all day.. then shoot the night sky with my camera at night.. then just sleep. In that role, the AS is epic, as it is very easy to tow.

Having said that.. they are very pricey, and our later model build quality was not as good as previous versions we've owned.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is IS overkill for a 2250RK? Should we be looking at a cre3000? or SRE4000?

While those would upgrade the connection.. the same axel that can be bent is being used. I tend to be the kind of person that wants to overbuild things.. hehe.. Instead of just maxing out the standard gear.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weak link on the 2250RK are the 3500# axles with 5-4.5 rims, thin spring hangers and light springs.
    While going to IS would be nice it's overkill IMO.

Why not just buy a TT thats made for what you want to do?
    https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/back-country-series-24krs/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    The weak link on the 2250RK are the 3500# axles with 5-4.5 rims, thin spring hangers and light springs.
    While going to IS would be nice it's overkill IMO.

Why not just buy a TT thats made for what you want to do?
    https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/back-country-series-24krs/
    Mainly because we are in Michigan, and the wife doesn't want to buy a trailer site unseen.. or drive 800+ miles just to look inside one.

I was afraid of that, but its good to hear before buying. I was looking at this suspension yesterday, and it looked pretty flimsy.. as you said, light springs, thin hangers.. not a strong looking set up by any measure. If that means $7000 worth of work on a new trailer.. we may just pass.

It'd be an epic TT if they got the bottom end right. It can't be that much expensive to weld on a thicker steel hanger.. or more robust set up readily available in the market.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1911 View Post
    Is IS overkill for a 2250RK? Should we be looking at a cre3000? or SRE4000?

While those would upgrade the connection.. the same axel that can be bent is being used. I tend to be the kind of person that wants to overbuild things.. hehe.. Instead of just maxing out the standard gear.
    MORryde does not offer an independent suspension unit light-weight enough for the 2250RK. In the IS, they offer 7,000 and 8,000 lb. suspension units - probably twice what the 2250RK would need (and they are heavy). A much better option would be to beef up the hangers and shackles - there are many threads on the forum outlining how folks have done this. Bent "axles" are not the common failure mode. Flat springs, broken hangers, and failed shackles or bolts are much more common.

LT tires are not the best choice for trailers, either. The sidewalls are not designed to handle the lateral stresses put on tires by tandem axle RVs. A good ST tire such as the Goodyear Endurance would be a better choice.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1911 View Post
    Mainly because we are in Michigan, and the wife doesn't want to buy a trailer site unseen.. or drive 800+ miles just to look inside one.

I was afraid of that, but its good to hear before buying. I was looking at this suspension yesterday, and it looked pretty flimsy.. as you said, light springs, thin hangers.. not a strong looking set up by any measure. If that means $7000 worth of work on a new trailer.. we may just pass.

It'd be an epic TT if they got the bottom end right. It can't be that much expensive to weld on a thicker steel hanger.. or more robust set up readily available in the market.
    It just seems not right that you have to buy a new TT and then upgrade the suspension. I think your case is different from what GD intends buyers to do with an Imagine.
    Imagines are on the low end of their line up. Geared more towards 1st time buyers or buyers upgrading from an older TT or like a tent trailer.
    Most would just drive down the hwy and pull off right into a CG/RV park. Doubt many would do the boondocking thing.

Not sure what it would cost to have Dexter torsion axle installed but that might be a cheaper way to go. Agree dumping upwards of $7K into an already depreciating RV doesn't make sense. IMO there's better suited TT's out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast