User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you using to tow a 2600RB?

My wife and I are new-bees to RVing and new to this site. We are thinking of buying an Imagine 2600RB, but we aren't sure what we'd need to safely tow it. Its GVWR = 7995 lbs and I expect the loaded tongue weight to be around around 900-950 lbs (sound close?) So we were wondering what the folks that own a 2600RB use to tow there's?

We also need to upgrade our tow vehicle. We are considering getting a 250/2500 (haven't settle on brand yet) or a new 2019 Ram 1500 equipped with a 5.7L V8 HEMI and 3.92 rear axle. We would also use an anti sway weight distribution hitch, like a Blue Ox on whatever TV we decide upon. Also I am 100% certain that any of the 250/2500 that we buy could easily tow the 2600RB so I didn't include any specs for it, but I'm not sure about the Ram 1500. Its specs are as follows: GVWR = 7100 lbs, max payload = 1780 lbs, Front GAWR = 3900 lbs, Rear GAWR = 4100, GCW = 17, 000 lbs, GCWR = 17000 lbs and its max trailer weight rating is 11,240 lbs.

Now I know everyone is going to immediately say be safe and get the 250/2500 but there are issues with the 250/2500. First its too long and won't fit in a garage and the 1500 does. The same can be said for the Ford F150. Now this isn't a huge issue, but it would mean that I'd have to park in the driveway while my daughter parks her car in the garage. Second, in NY State where we live, any pick-up truck weighing over 6000 lbs has to be registered as a commercial vehicle. That means that I won't be able to drive on any of the NYS parkways even when not towing. So a 1500 truck can have passenger plates and a 250/2500 or larger requires commercial plates. This is HUGE issue for me since I live on Long Island and it leaves me with really only one east/west highway (without traffic lights) that I can drive on and its Rte. 495 the Long Island Expressway. Most refer to it as the Long Island Stress-way! For those of you who don't live around here or know the area I've included the bottom of this post the list of highways that you can't take a commercially registered vehicle on. They will ticket any commercial vehicle found driving on these highways, regardless of the state of registration. So any out of you stater's with commercial plates caught driving on these highways will get a ticket. Lastly I think the ruling is insane and there is no need to debate it in this post, it is what it is and I have to deal with it. If you believe the specs, on paper it looks like the RAM 1500 can tow it, but these numbers don't tell me how it will pull up a steep grade or how it handles going down, both VERY important to me. In fact, that is more important than not being permitted in the Parkways. So I guess I'd like to know how you folks tow your 2600RBs and if you've had any issues with your set-ups . Also you folks think that its unsafe tow the 2600RB with the RAM 1500 I'd like to know that also.

Thanks

Bob

List of New York State Parkways
    Bay Parkway, Bay Parkway, Bear Mountain State Parkway, Belt Parkway, Bethpage State Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, Cross County Parkway, Cross Island Parkway, Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive, Grand Central Parkway, Harlem River Drive, Heckscher State Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, Jackie Robinson Parkway, Korean War Veterans Parkway, Lake Ontario State Parkway, Lake Welch Parkway, Long Mountain Parkway, Loop Parkway, Meadowbrook State Parkway, Mosholu Parkway, Niagara Scenic Parkway, Northern State Parkway, Ocean Parkway, Palisades Interstate Parkway, Pelham Parkway, Prospect Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway, Robert Moses Causeway, Sagtikos State Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, Seven Lakes Drive, Southern State Parkway, Sprain Brook Parkway, Sunken Meadow State Parkway, Taconic State Parkway, Wantagh State Parkway, Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    My wife and I are new-bees to RVing and new to this site. We are thinking of buying an Imagine 2600RB, but we aren't sure what we'd need to safely tow it. Its GVWR = 7995 lbs and I expect the loaded tongue weight to be around around 900-950 lbs (sound close?) So we were wondering what the folks that own a 2600RB use to tow there's?

We also need to upgrade our tow vehicle. We are considering getting a 250/2500 (haven't settle on brand yet) or a new 2019 Ram 1500 equipped with a 5.7L V8 HEMI and 3.92 rear axle. We would also use an anti sway weight distribution hitch, like a Blue Ox on whatever TV we decide upon. Also I am 100% certain that any of the 250/2500 that we buy could easily tow the 2600RB so I didn't include any specs for it, but I'm not sure about the Ram 1500. Its specs are as follows: GVWR = 7100 lbs, max payload = 1780 lbs, Front GAWR = 3900 lbs, Rear GAWR = 4100, GCW = 17, 000 lbs, GCWR = 17000 lbs and its max trailer weight rating is 11,240 lbs.

Now I know everyone is going to immediately say be safe and get the 250/2500 but there are issues with the 250/2500. First its too long and won't fit in a garage and the 1500 does. The same can be said for the Ford F150. Now this isn't a huge issue, but it would mean that I'd have to park in the driveway while my daughter parks her car in the garage. Second, in NY State where we live, any pick-up truck weighing over 6000 lbs has to be registered as a commercial vehicle. That means that I won't be able to drive on any of the NYS parkways even when not towing. So a 1500 truck can have passenger plates and a 250/2500 or larger requires commercial plates. This is HUGE issue for me since I live on Long Island and it leaves me with really only one east/west highway (without traffic lights) that I can drive on and its Rte. 495 the Long Island Expressway. Most refer to it as the Long Island Stress-way! For those of you who don't live around here or know the area I've included the bottom of this post the list of highways that you can't take a commercially registered vehicle on. They will ticket any commercial vehicle found driving on these highways, regardless of the state of registration. So any out of you stater's with commercial plates caught driving on these highways will get a ticket. Lastly I think the ruling is insane and there is no need to debate it in this post, it is what it is and I have to deal with it. If you believe the specs, on paper it looks like the RAM 1500 can tow it, but these numbers don't tell me how it will pull up a steep grade or how it handles going down, both VERY important to me. In fact, that is more important than not being permitted in the Parkways. So I guess I'd like to know how you folks tow your 2600RBs and if you've had any issues with your set-ups . Also you folks think that its unsafe tow the 2600RB with the RAM 1500 I'd like to know that also.

Thanks

Bob

Bay Parkway, Bay Parkway, Bear Mountain State Parkway, Belt Parkway, Bethpage State Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, Cross County Parkway, Cross Island Parkway, Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive, Grand Central Parkway, Harlem River Drive, Heckscher State Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, Jackie Robinson Parkway, Korean War Veterans Parkway, Lake Ontario State Parkway, Lake Welch Parkway, Long Mountain Parkway, Loop Parkway, Meadowbrook State Parkway, Mosholu Parkway, Niagara Scenic Parkway, Northern State Parkway, Ocean Parkway, Palisades Interstate Parkway, Pelham Parkway, Prospect Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway, Robert Moses Causeway, Sagtikos State Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, Seven Lakes Drive, Southern State Parkway, Sprain Brook Parkway, Sunken Meadow State Parkway, Taconic State Parkway, Wantagh State Parkway, Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway.
    We tow the 2600RB with a 2016 GMC 1500 Double Cab 4x4 with zero issues. Mileage depending on wind and terrain runs from 9.5 in the PA mountains to 11 in Michigan. We mostly see 10.5 mpg. Towing speeds are 60-65 mph in fifth gear at 2000 - 2100 RPM with a rare downshift in 4th at 2800 RPM. I've driven the new GM light duty diesel and it is exceptional and would be worth the wait if your considering a diesel and would like to stay with the half ton.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much camping do you expect to do and how long (distance) will your trips be?
    A bunch of relatively short trips would definitely make the lighter duty vehicles more appealing in your situation.
    We have the 2800RB and are using an Expedition EL with heavy duty tow package to pull our camper. So far only gone about 170 miles and back on non-interstate highways. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.
    We are going to try out my 2018 F150 supercrew with 2.7 ecoboost engine this next month. I am expecting it to do a better job even though it has a lower towing rating. I think the longer wheelbase will improve overall towing some. Not worried about the 2.7 vs. 3.5 in the expedition.
    That said, when I was towing a heavier 27 foot salem many moons ago, I switched from a 1500 suburban to a f250 superduty and the improvement was overwhelming. More truck will make towing easier on the highway (my opinion) but you can safely tow with smaller ones.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our 2600RB with a 1500 Suburban with max tow package and have not had any problems. We took a 2400 mile round trip this past summer to Mount Rushmore with no issues whatsoever. My gas mileage is 9.5-11.5 depending on the usual things.
    My brother-in-law has a Silverado crew cab 1500 towing the 2600RB and said it tows easier than the lighter trailer he had before.
    I am a newbie as well so I don't have much experience for comparison, but my Suburban has been great so far.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed our 2600RB with a 2014 Ram 1500/CC/5.7L/3:21. It towed fine but for my wife and I we want something that gives us more stability and makes us feel safer. I'll be getting a 2500 or F250 in about 6 months.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These lighter trucks may be able to tow the 2600RB but what about stopping it. If you get into the mountains you may have a pucker factor happening. Buy the 250 size truck and travel safely with no issues. This RVing is supposed to be fun. In case you decide to upgrade the trailer at some point you will have the truck to pull it.
    In the province of British Columbia if you are suspected of not having enough truck and they weigh you the MOT will take you off the road, reason being lots of 6-8% grades that last for miles, yes miles. The last trip I took with our 315 in the Salmo Creston pass it’s 8% for 10 KM. My F450 with engine braking held me to a speed of 80KMH for 10KM. Never touched the brakes.The temperature outside was 37C.

Above all you always want more truck than trailer.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post

Thanks

Bob

I checked the NY DMV and there are ways to register a truck greater than 6000 lbs as a passenger vehicle. Looks like you will need to have a cap permanently mounted on the back, have seats, seat fittings or certain camping equipment in the bed and no advertisements on the truck. I bet the seat fittings would be the best bet as to leaving the most room left in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyal View Post
    These lighter trucks may be able to tow the 2600RB but what about stopping it. If you get into the mountains you may have a pucker factor happening. Buy the 250 size truck and travel safely with no issues. This RVing is supposed to be fun. In case you decide to upgrade the trailer at some point you will have the truck to pull it.
    In the province of British Columbia if you are suspected of not having enough truck and they weigh you the MOT will take you off the road, reason being lots of 6-8% grades that last for miles, yes miles. The last trip I took with our 315 in the Salmo Creston pass it’s 8% for 10 KM. My F450 with engine braking held me to a speed of 80KMH for 10KM. Never touched the brakes.The temperature outside was 37C.

Above all you always want more truck than trailer.
    Trailer brakes are for stopping the trailer. Truck brakes are for stopping the truck. SAE will certify that the truck can stop the entire rig with the truck alone, and the RAM 1500 would have passed the SAE tests under this condition. The OPs 1500 truck would have no issues pulling the 2600RB, while avoiding the commercial costs.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a 2015 Ram. I run E rated tires and bags in the rear coils and it tows fine. Last year I went from home (northern WA) to southern Oregon which includes some good grades around Grant's Pass. You cannot pull steep grades like a diesel, but other than that, we averaged between 60 an 70mph easily. With the 8 speed transmission, it's easy to maintain a safe speed on the downhill sections. My truck has the 3.21 axle ratio, if you get the 3.92 option, you won't have any issues. I would put better tires on the truck, a stiffer sidewall will keep the back end feeling planted on the downhill curves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    We tow the 2600RB with a 2016 GMC 1500 Double Cab 4x4 with zero issues. Mileage depending on wind and terrain runs from 9.5 in the PA mountains to 11 in Michigan. We mostly see 10.5 mpg. Towing speeds are 60-65 mph in fifth gear at 2000 - 2100 RPM with a rare downshift in 4th at 2800 RPM. I've driven the new GM light duty diesel and it is exceptional and would be worth the wait if your considering a diesel and would like to stay with the half ton.
    I have basically the same rig as MidwestCamper from chevy, but mines a 15. I have also had about the same towing experience/numbers. It does the job. Could be better, but it doesn't feel dangerous.

We do tend to get a bit of bounce in the back end at times like it's under-damped. The 1500 z71 suspension is a little soft for these loads over long distances in my opinion. Although, it could just be my lousy ranchos are about shot. They're not well regarded.

Also, you're doing well to pick the trailer first. It really helps narrow down what trucks will work. Towing a camper couldn't have been further from my mind when I bought my truck, so I go the o/r suspension. That's not optimal and limited my options a bit.

The last thing I'll say is that I prefer the 1500 as my daily, but wish I had the 2500 when I tow. Realistically, I just don't tow enough right now to justify the cost. If you keep the weights inline for the specific truck you're buying,* it'll do the job. The 2500 would do it more easily, but if the 1500 fits the need...

*Side note: ignore anything the dealer, manual, towing guides, cousin Eddy, or anyone else tells you. The only way to know the actual payload capacity and tow rating is the sticker on the truck. Every truck/cab/powertrain is a little different. If you're ever in a situation where an authority is interested in your weights, that sticker is all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast