User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really a 1/2 ton towable 5th Wheel

It is so confusion, I see lots of 150 1/2 ton option in 5th wheels but can't seem to see that a 1/2 ton truck can truly tow with confidence.

thoughts?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F-150 w/ HDPP option. I don't know if GM and Ram have anything equivalent.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What jmbopp said above. The F150 with the HDPP option will normally have around 2500 lb of payload capability, sometime more than many of the 3/4T diesel trucks as far as payload numbers go. Having said that, it might be easier to find a rainbow colored unicorn than one of the F150 trucks with the HDPP in stock at a dealership, so if you are looking for something like that, have dealer do a dealer search, then ask about ordering one.

As far as your original question, the elusive 5th Wheel..1/2 Ton towable trailer is mostly a very limited market. Because most of the F150 trucks simply do not have enough payload capacity to accommodate the pin weights of those trailers, finding a trailer that will work with a "normal" F150 is very limited.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The statement was made by RV industries because more 150 trucks are sold every year than any other vehicle. You might get a few setups to tow good, but you need to get very specific when ordering.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps one of the baby fivers, but even with the max tow package I would probably not choose to push an F150 that hard.

We almost opted for a max tow F150 to replace our non-max tow model when we decided to upgrade our trailer to the 261BH, but not only are they somewhat hard to find unless you order them new, they're also pretty expensive. It was actually cheaper just to pick up an F250 instead, and it has more all-around capability than the F150.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked at some of the Reflection 150 series.
    The way the Sales rep explained it, these 5th Wheels are NOT necessary for a half-ton truck. They are more accurately described as a "short-bed capable hitch", and then after that standard weight-capacity concerns come into play.
    I didn't want a 3/4 or Full ton, either, but eventually had no choice when we started looking larger!
    On the plus side, I'm happy to report I'm loving my new beast of a truck!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingtogorving View Post
    It is so confusion, I see lots of 150 1/2 ton option in 5th wheels but can't seem to see that a 1/2 ton truck can truly tow with confidence.

thoughts?
    Thoughts? They can't do the job properly.
    F150's and the other brand half tons are not tow vehicles. Can they pull a heavy trailer?...sure. Can they do it well and do it safely? No. IMO, they just don't have the suspension strength to control the load.
    As always, just my opinion. There are people out there that think SUV's and mini vans can pull trailers too.....
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 02-08-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingtogorving View Post

thoughts?
    There are people on here who do it, usually with special ordered HDPP F150s. HDPP and Max Tow are not the same and not to be confused. These are fine, but they are the exception.

99% of half tons shouldn’t be pulling a 5th wheel. They probably have enough power, but otherwise aren’t well suited to the task. Towing very large, heavy, and/or often should step up to the bigger trucks. They don’t even cost much more option to option.

I would never pull a TT near my half tons ‘max tow limit’. It’d be too much trailer
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read my responses #3 & #5 in this thread here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...d-with-1-2-ton
    My post #3 in this thread here:https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...0-series-260RD
    I think most of your questions, qualms and tribulations will be assuaged. If you do a search with my moniker and 260RD you will find many places I have answered your question.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-08-2021 at 02:54 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Perhaps one of the baby fivers, but even with the max tow package I would probably not choose to push an F150 that hard.

We almost opted for a max tow F150 to replace our non-max tow model when we decided to upgrade our trailer to the 261BH, but not only are they somewhat hard to find unless you order them new, they're also pretty expensive. It was actually cheaper just to pick up an F250 instead, and it has more all-around capability than the F150.
    I think you mean HDPP heavy payload package. The F150 XLT is the sweet spot in Ford's pick up line so the incentives are always more. Even with the outlier HDPP option I was able to get over 17% off MSRP. Try doing that with a Superduty. As I recall I priced a Superduty without 4x4 and it came within a couple thousand of my trucks MSRP. The final cost wasn't even close.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-08-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast