User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toilet Seat Replacement

I did a search on this topic, and found a few threads, but they are old and the seat models have been discontinued. Also, I’m not interested in changing the complete toilet right now.

I have the Thetford Aquamatic toilet round bowl as I think most or all GD RV’s have. The toilet seat is poorly made, and the support bracket on the bottom has bent. I’m finding household seats aren’t an exact fit in the width. The length and bolt pattern seem to work though. Has anyone recently (last couple years) found a toilet seat that is wide enough so that the bottom of the seat stays firmly on the rim? If it’s a half inch shorter that’s okay. The one I bought yesterday had the support bracket protruding mostly over the interior of the bowl.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not done it myself, but if it's an Aqua Magic Style II, a number of forum members have found suitable replacements at Lowe's or Home Depot. Measure the toilet (or OEM seat) at several points before you go and compare those measurements to seats at the store.

Sorry I can't help more...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I did a search on this topic, and found a few threads, but they are old and the seat models have been discontinued. Also, I’m not interested in changing the complete toilet right now.

I have the Thetford Aquamatic toilet round bowl as I think most or all GD RV’s have. The toilet seat is poorly made, and the support bracket on the bottom has bent. I’m finding household seats aren’t an exact fit in the width. The length and bolt pattern seem to work though. Has anyone recently (last couple years) found a toilet seat that is wide enough so that the bottom of the seat stays firmly on the rim? If it’s a half inch shorter that’s okay. The one I bought yesterday had the support bracket protruding mostly over the interior of the bowl.
    American Standard from Lowes. Round, bone color I think. 2 months ago. Works better than the Church model I had.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    American Standard from Lowes. Round, bone color I think. 2 months ago. Works better than the Church model I had.
    Thanks for the direction. All I found at Home Depot and Lowe’s, at least what was in stock, was only 14
    inches wide. The rim is closer to 14 3/4” wide. My concern is the contact points will not sit on enough of the rim. Sounds like yours is working.

Today I found a Bemis Mayfair model at Walmart for about $18. It is about 14 1/2” wide. I’ve got it installed, but the method they give you for install and the limited room at rear of toilet made it a real pain to install. The fit is okay, but could be better where the seat meats the contact points of the toilet rim. The Thetford apparently has a unique shape. If this one fails in any way I will likely give in and get another Thetford seat.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Thanks for the direction. All I found at Home Depot and Lowe’s, at least what was in stock, was only 14
    inches wide. The rim is closer to 14 3/4” wide. My concern is the contact points will not sit on enough of the rim. Sounds like yours is working.

Today I found a Bemis Mayfair model at Walmart for about $18. It is about 14 1/2” wide. I’ve got it installed, but the method they give you for install and the limited room at rear of toilet made it a real pain to install. The fit is okay, but could be better where the seat meats the contact points of the toilet rim. The Thetford apparently has a unique shape. If this one fails in any way I will likely give in and get another Thetford seat.
    What you found today you most likely will find with any residential toilet seat. RV (Dometic follows the same layout) and residential standard dimensions are off by just enough to be a mismatch, only the bolt holes are the same. I think this is purely by design, no pun intended. I found a residential seat to be more forward in it's placement as well as barely being firmly on the porcelain. I got lucky watching Craigslist and found a Dometic 320 NIB for $100. That was $100 well spent.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    What you found today you most likely will find with any residential toilet seat. RV (Dometic follows the same layout) and residential standard dimensions are off by just enough to be a mismatch, only the bolt holes are the same. I think this is purely by design, no pun intended. I found a residential seat to be more forward in it's placement as well as barely being firmly on the porcelain. I got lucky watching Craigslist and found a Dometic 320 NIB for $100. That was $100 well spent.
    Thanks for the confirmation. That was a hell of a deal on the Dometic 320. I may start looking around also just in case.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS