User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-wired backup camera

Does anyone know what the factory pre-wires the backup camera to? The backup lights or the running lights for continuous use? 2022 Imagine 2970rl.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a game of darts. Sometimes it's wired hot (always on) and the source varies, sometimes it's wired to the running lights. Most folks just change it to the top center running light if it's not already done that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 2970 is wired to the running lights. When I first hooked up after installing the camera it worked great a few minutes, then went blank. Turned on the running lights and all was good.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is hooked up for headlights, no the Ford auto setting
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I did not imagine the pre-wired setup on my 2016 Momentum M class is on all the time! And I went overkill on sealing up the installation. So where does this wire receive power up front? I found one ruff diagram online that shows it going into the fuse panel in the pantry. Ive removed each DC fuse trying to figure out which circuit it was and it didn't go out. Anyone got any clues?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn’t have the problem with with the add on camera but when we upgraded the antenna booster the dealer didn’t put the on/off switch in-line so we wound up with them installing a second battery cutoff switch between the batteries and the Grand Design master cutoff. Otherwise we were draining the batteries as the antenna was always on.
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger76 View Post
    Ok I did not imagine the pre-wired setup on my 2016 Momentum M class is on all the time! And I went overkill on sealing up the installation. So where does this wire receive power up front? I found one ruff diagram online that shows it going into the fuse panel in the pantry. Ive removed each DC fuse trying to figure out which circuit it was and it didn't go out. Anyone got any clues?
    If the camera power is wired into the running lights (and many, but not all trailers are wired that way), the lights and the camera are powered off of the tow vehicle. No connection to the trailer distribution (fuse) panel.

If the camera is powered all the time (even without the tow vehicle), they generally pull power from a nearby lights, either ceiling or the rear wall lights.

Grand Design, and most manufactures, wiring is very hit and miss. No consistency. It just depends on who wired it up at assembly and what they felt was the fastest way for them to do it.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 02-16-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CoChris Ill check it out this weekend. Im originally from Cheyenne. And two brothers live near you in Ft. Collins. Gods Country….

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got buzy on the issue with the camera today and I found out that yes the wiring depends on who ever did it that day’s idea of what was easiest! So Ive been wishing I could find a wiring diagram also. Tonight I pulled every ceiling light in the garage looking for that extra wire.. None found. So i went back to isolating DC circuits to figure out which one they used that day. None of the garages circuits when powered down removed power from the camera. So I pull the power panel apart to find that mystery wire… Nope none found… But I did find out how lazy the guy that wired that up was! Oh and on the backside of the power panel cover theres a basic wiring diagram of the power distribution panel. Don't worry no mention of the backup camera. But every piece of scrap wood hole saw circle and wood shavings was behind that panel including a 20ft roll of 12gauge wire! Don't worry they termed both ends one too a terminal block on the panel and the other to a block directly screwed too the flooring! So I realized that I was giving these guys to much credit thinking they'd wire it to something in the garage. Well i found it. This guy wired it to the MAXX Fan circuit in the garage bathroom! I just wasn't pulling every DC fuse until the camera went out. Love the trailer but my fingers still hurt from those mouse trap ceiling LED lights! And I know where the diagram is now….