User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayScott27 View Post
    My wife and I have been looking at campers for some time now and finally decided to pull the trigger. We have looked at Several brands but will be buying GD due to the reviews and customer service. We are both in our 30s, currently with no kids but they are not out of the question. We looked at a 2021 2500RL and fell in love with it because of the large rear window and natural light. We also looked at a 2800BH and liked the idea of the bunk house/bike storage. We will have friends/family stay with us sometimes but 90% of the time it’s just us. Has anyone had this same Debate?

Thanks in advance.
    We went with a 2800BH because it will mostly be the two of us but out adult daughters will come sometimes. And the storage is nice when they won't be there.

We bought Lectric folding e-bikes that fit into totes that fit into the storage space when the bed is folded up. See the attached pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210112_140254.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	32159

Name:	20210102_105109.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	32160

Name:	20210112_140402.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	32161

Sorry about the pictures being off by 90 degrees.

The totes have wheels on one side so they are easy to move around.

4400 lb. axles on the 2800BH. 3500 lb. on the 2500RL.

We like the theatre seats across from the TV and on the 2500RL, the refer is in an odd place with no counter next to it to set things on as you remove things from it.
    Last edited by Hornsky; 02-16-2021 at 01:09 PM.
    Scott and Jenny
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5 EB, Max Tow Pkg.
    ProPride Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you ask... We bought a 19-2600rb in January of 2019. In October of 2020, the wife gave me the news. Fast forward to last weekend and we were shopping for a bunk house. We had no plans for a baby, but always said if it happens, then great! Well, it happened and I haven't slept past 4 am more than twice in 7 months.

What I'll say about having the sum total experience of camping for 4 nights with a six month old is this... The bunk house will be useful in the future, but you have time. We were able to shove the pack n play right into the slot for the dinette table like it was made for it. The table became the changing table. It wasn't as roomy in the camper as before we had him. (I never realized that a single kid would take up such an enormous amount of space for their size.) Thankfully, were able to eat outside because the weather was good. In short, where there's a will there's a way.

If you have only one shot, get a bunkhouse now. You can always repurpose the space if you want. If you think you might want to trade up in a couple years get what fits you the best now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in the 60’s with no pets and kids. We loved the 2500RL with recliners, not couch and it should be delivered by April 15th.
    I can’t wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I just purchased a 2800BH two weeks ago. We are a family of three with a medium sized dog. We are planning to purchase a bike rack for our rear bumper rather than trying to transport them inside. I am also not a fan of the walk through bathroom, but we were debating a floorplan similar to the 2500RL that had the bunks tucked behind the couch in the back (I can't remember the model name), but didn't like that it didn't have a wall behind the couch to give more privacy to the people in bed and create more separation. We looked at other brands with walls but fell in love with the Grand Design brand so that was the only choice. Ultimately, it does come down to preference. I do think the bunks in the 2800BH are tucked out of the way enough that they won't feel like an impediment to your way of living if you don't have kids. I do agree that its nice to not have to manipulate the dinette for sleeping purposes. Just my two cents.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have a 2500RL. For a "couples Camper", I think it's nearly impossible to beat. I have a truck rack, and haul kayaks on it, or if we're biking, I have a tailgate pad and carry the bikes that way.

the bathroom is huge, two awesome recliners, two huge windows, and a good amount of basement storage. My main gripe is that I would rather have a large window on the campsite side rather than overlooking the neighbors.

That said, we do have little ones from time to time. Putting down the table at night is a bigger pain that it may seem. It's unweildy and difficult to manage. Now, when we have little ones in tow, they just share the bed and we sleep in a tent... or we all sleep in a tent if they want.

IMHO, it's a 2 person camper. I wouldn't ever buy it if there was a chance of needing to house more than 2 people. As much as we love it, we are considering either replacing the recliners with a tri-fold sofa, or replacing it with a unit that is better suited to multiple people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaine View Post
    My husband and I just purchased a 2800BH two weeks ago. We are a family of three with a medium sized dog. We are planning to purchase a bike rack for our rear bumper rather than trying to transport them inside. I am also not a fan of the walk through bathroom, but we were debating a floorplan similar to the 2500RL that had the bunks tucked behind the couch in the back (I can't remember the model name), but didn't like that it didn't have a wall behind the couch to give more privacy to the people in bed and create more separation. We looked at other brands with walls but fell in love with the Grand Design brand so that was the only choice. Ultimately, it does come down to preference. I do think the bunks in the 2800BH are tucked out of the way enough that they won't feel like an impediment to your way of living if you don't have kids. I do agree that its nice to not have to manipulate the dinette for sleeping purposes. Just my two cents.
    Good luck with your new camper. We just took delivery of a 2600RB and if I am not mistaken the rear bumpers of this series campers are not designed to have a bike rack installed on them as the forces of the leveraged weight could tear the bumper off the camper along with the bicycles and your spare tire. Search this forum for more information on this.
    Long Island, New York

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. We had asked about the bike rack mounting to the back bumper at the dealership, but you are right that it makes sense to always do our own research to verify information like that! Good luck with your new camper as well! We are definitely looking forward to breaking ours in.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71-K9 View Post
    I have a Salsa Mukluk Fat bike that fits in the bike space with no problems. And I don't have to remove the wheel. I only use the bunks twice a year. Otherwise its just me and the dogs. 2800 has great features and is the perfect camper for me.
    You got to love those Fatties. It would be the second to last bike I departed with, last would be my gravel bike. Not sorry for hijacking the thread, I get excited when it comes to bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We upgraded to a 2800BH so our children 16 and 10 yrs old could have larger bunk beds and for the space the pull out offers. It is a big upgrade from our Jayco with no slide out. Our dog also sleeps in tt during camping trips. Good luck!

Don’t install bike rack on rear bumper it will break the weld on the bumper after several long trips. The bike rack arms stick out so the weight of the bikes is not on top of the bumper it is actually on the bike rack arms which is 24 to 30” from bumper this puts stress on the bumper. This was my experience with bike racks now I put them on the back of my truck. Good luck and happy camping!!
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2010 Ford Expedition

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnrover View Post
    Good luck with your new camper. We just took delivery of a 2600RB and if I am not mistaken the rear bumpers of this series campers are not designed to have a bike rack installed on them as the forces of the leveraged weight could tear the bumper off the camper along with the bicycles and your spare tire. Search this forum for more information on this.

That's correct the bumper will not support a bike rack. We have a 2020 2600RB and had a receiver hitch installed by the dealer. The receiver takes a 2 inch hitch and allows us to use a Yakima Longhaul RV rated bike rack. We carry two bikes and have no issues (it can carry 4 bikes). However, you have to make sure who ever installs the hitch to the trailer knows what they are doing. It must be attached correctly so not to shake and either damage the frame or break loose.

We've use this bike rack on this and another trailer. Solid built and takes the abuse of being on the rear end of the trailer (shaking, whippling, bouncing). Arms fold down and it can be used on the back of your TV (w/2 inch receiver). Comes with locking hitch pin, locking cable and has built in bottle operers at end of arms (for those who use them). Took about 10 minutes for the wife to assemble using a socket and box wrench and install on back of trailer.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12