User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wishing you all all the best. This is the type of weather expected here in Canada not in Texas.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting your "on the ground" experiences and your approach and preparation. This helps all of us when we get the unexpected.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

We locked up and left our 5th wheel in Port Aransas, Tex RV park.
    We have the RV space rented until April 1st.
    Headed to Lubbock Wednesday, 550 miles north, to stay with our Port A RV neighbors, they had traveled back last week for a planned doc visit.

It's a poop show down there. We bailed out when we got down to our last gallon of gas for the generator and our last couple gallons of propane. We brought our prop bottles with us, all 3.

Every filling station and propane filling stations were out of fuel as far north as Menard TX 400 miles north. No one can leave that area because there is no fuel! The food shelves are empty, no semis on the road either so infrastructure is hosed for a while.

We were fortunate to fill up my 38 gallon diesel tank on Tue after waiting in line for fuel. That allowed us to "escape" to Lubbock where everything is normal here, they are not part of the big texas co-op electrical companies here.

It was very creepy wednesday driving miles and miles past wind farms that are not turning, 6 feet of ice on the blades at LEAST!

Up here in the panhandle, a lot of power comes from New Mexico.

Thankful we had a lifeboat here, in lubbock!

Today I bought a 45 gallon external fuel tank to tie into my 38 gallon tank for my diesel truck.
    This allows me to extend my towing range to 750 miles roughly.
    I'll have it installed on Mon.
    Tuesday we both leave and head back to the RV site with propane, food and fuel.

Our contacts in the park said the septic is now working, they have power, they have propane, they have water (boil order though) and one service station has diesel.
    Grocery stores still empty of supplies. That will take a while I suppose.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Update:

We locked up and left our 5th wheel in Port Aransas, Tex RV park.
    We have the RV space rented until April 1st.
    Headed to Lubbock Wednesday, 550 miles north, to stay with our Port A RV neighbors, they had traveled back last week for a planned doc visit.

It's a poop show down there. We bailed out when we got down to our last gallon of gas for the generator and our last couple gallons of propane. We brought our prop bottles with us, all 3.

Every filling station and propane filling stations were out of fuel as far north as Menard TX 400 miles north. No one can leave that area because there is no fuel! The food shelves are empty, no semis on the road either so infrastructure is hosed for a while.

We were fortunate to fill up my 38 gallon diesel tank on Tue after waiting in line for fuel. That allowed us to "escape" to Lubbock where everything is normal here, they are not part of the big texas co-op electrical companies here.

It was very creepy wednesday driving miles and miles past wind farms that are not turning, 6 feet of ice on the blades at LEAST!

Up here in the panhandle, a lot of power comes from New Mexico.

Thankful we had a lifeboat here, in lubbock!

Today I bought a 45 gallon external fuel tank to tie into my 38 gallon tank for my diesel truck.
    This allows me to extend my towing range to 750 miles roughly.
    I'll have it installed on Mon.
    Tuesday we both leave and head back to the RV site with propane, food and fuel.

Our contacts in the park said the septic is now working, they have power, they have propane, they have water (boil order though) and one service station has diesel.
    Grocery stores still empty of supplies. That will take a while I suppose.
    Unbelievable what is happening. You made the right move.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG, Texas please get your act together in the next 48 hours!

We have spent the last week slowly heading from Upstate NY down to Padre Island National Seashore for a long planned trip. It's been freezing cold at every stop. Snow, ice and salty roads all the way from Syracuse. We are now outside Mammoth Cave National Park in our little 18RBE and the temperature is forecast to plunge (again) to between 5 and 10 degrees. Our water and propane tanks are full as every place we've stayed so far is built to deal with cold. This place, I am not so sure is going to be happy-land tomorrow when the temps get above freezing for the first time in a week. This afternoon I filled from a spigot the RV park owner thinks won't freeze because he's covered it with an friggin upside down trash can!!! There's no heat tape and no insulation. Prediction: That spigot is going to freeze. In this RV park there's about 2 inches of inches of hard blue ice topped with 4 inches of hard packed snow on all the grounds, none of which is plowed. Getting into the park was not a problem as we have 4WD with mud and snow rated tires. While all the main roads are clear in KY it's a comedy show as people try to drive on the side roads and driveways with their two wheel drive cars with "all season tires". Yes, it's gonna get cold tonight but the forecast is for above 35 tomorrow and 50 on Sunday. I expect there will be lots of defrosting going on in the wrong places!

We had planned on driving down the Natchez Trace to a KOA in East Texas, arriving in east Texas Tuesday. Now... not so sure we shouldn't wait another couple of days. The place we are going has power and water, they claim. We shall see!
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well last night did it for us. I stupidly had the propane set to only one of our 30 gallon tanks, which we emptied (after a week of freezing temps) last night while we were sleeping. There is no water to the back of the camper. No toilet flushing, sink or shower. Kitchen has cold water only. I guess the pipe to the back of the trailer froze. I am more worried about the pipe bursting than I am about the lack of water. The water heater is back there under the bathroom counter. Should I turn it on or leave it off? Should I turn off the water pump too? We are going out today. I think it may be prudent to leave heat on and water heater and pump off!
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    OMG, Texas please get your act together in the next 48 hours!

We have spent the last week slowly heading from Upstate NY down to Padre Island National Seashore for a long planned trip. It's been freezing cold at every stop. Snow, ice and salty roads all the way from Syracuse. We are now outside Mammoth Cave National Park in our little 18RBE and the temperature is forecast to plunge (again) to between 5 and 10 degrees. Our water and propane tanks are full as every place we've stayed so far is built to deal with cold. This place, I am not so sure is going to be happy-land tomorrow when the temps get above freezing for the first time in a week. This afternoon I filled from a spigot the RV park owner thinks won't freeze because he's covered it with an friggin upside down trash can!!! There's no heat tape and no insulation. Prediction: That spigot is going to freeze. In this RV park there's about 2 inches of inches of hard blue ice topped with 4 inches of hard packed snow on all the grounds, none of which is plowed. Getting into the park was not a problem as we have 4WD with mud and snow rated tires. While all the main roads are clear in KY it's a comedy show as people try to drive on the side roads and driveways with their two wheel drive cars with "all season tires". Yes, it's gonna get cold tonight but the forecast is for above 35 tomorrow and 50 on Sunday. I expect there will be lots of defrosting going on in the wrong places!

We had planned on driving down the Natchez Trace to a KOA in East Texas, arriving in east Texas Tuesday. Now... not so sure we shouldn't wait another couple of days. The place we are going has power and water, they claim. We shall see!
    You'll be fine next week. Last night was our last night below freezing for the year probably. Here is the forecast for S Padre Island for the next week.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S Padre (2).png 
Views:	8 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	32220 This is more normal for South Texas in Feb.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well last night did it for us. I stupidly had the propane set to only one of our 30 gallon tanks, which we emptied (after a week of freezing temps) last night while we were sleeping. There is no water to the back of the camper. No toilet flushing, sink or shower. Kitchen has cold water only. I guess the pipe to the back of the trailer froze. I am more worried about the pipe bursting than I am about the lack of water. The water heater is back there under the bathroom counter. Should I turn it on or leave it off? Should I turn off the water pump too? We are going out today. I think it may be prudent to leave heat on and water heater and pump off!
    I'd definitely leave the heat on and the wh and pump off until thing thaw out. Only then would I only turn on the water pump and see if the piping pressurize.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'd definitely leave the heat on and the wh and pump off until thing thaw out. Only then would I only turn on the water pump and see if the piping pressurize.

The water pump never froze, only one line to the back of the trailer froze, and it defrosted by noon. Temps never made it above freezing Saturday at Mammoth Cave. But just leaving the furnace on thawed it all out, and no leaks. Thank You, Grand Design.

No Natchez Trace. The road was completely closed and nobody was answering the phone today. We are at a KOA for the overnight near I-30 and 40 near Little Rock. Maybe we will come back the Trace.

Tomorrow we will head down to another KOA near Big Thicket, stay a couple of nights. We had planned to be at Martin Dies State Park, but they canceled reservation due to storm. From there it's off to PINS.

We took one tour thru Mammoth Cave, because that's all they are doing. We WILL be back to see more of the park, but the cave is mostly closed due to covid. Fantastic place. 400 plus miles of mapped cave. 20 miles is open (usually) to the public. There are estimates that another 600 miles of caves has yet to be explored. This place is much cooler than even I thought it would be, and we only got to see a mile of it. Very few bats, white nose syndrome had killed most of them.

Plans change...
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water pump never froze, only one line to the back of the trailer froze, and it defrosted by noon. Temps never made it above freezing Saturday at Mammoth Cave. But just leaving the furnace on thawed it all out, and no leaks. Thank You, Grand Design.

No Natchez Trace. The road was completely closed and nobody was answering the phone today. We are at a KOA for the overnight near I-30 and 40 near Little Rock. Maybe we will come back the Trace.

Tomorrow we will head down to another KOA near Big Thicket, stay a couple of nights. We had planned to be at Martin Dies State Park, but they canceled reservation due to storm. From there it's off to PINS.

We took one tour thru Mammoth Cave, because that's all they are doing. We WILL be back to see more of the park, but the cave is mostly closed due to covid. Fantastic place. 400 plus miles of mapped cave. 20 miles is open (usually) to the public. There are estimates that another 600 miles of caves has yet to be explored. This place is much cooler than even I thought it would be, and we only got to see a mile of it. Very few bats, white nose syndrome had killed most of them.

Plans change...
    Glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast