User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freezing temps in Corpus Christi area for 48 hours

I'm a seasoned winter camper (Class C, previous 5th wheel) but now we have a residential fridge with our 310GK-R.
    Temps in the 20's, wind chill will be 0 for the next 2 days due to 30 mph N winds.

Question:We shut off the ice maker per the manual.Should I do more for that expose blue water line under the slide going to Res fridge? I have some 1/4" foam tape I could deploy however its not heat tape though....

I think we're 'ready' for the next 48 hours.

I actually had to winter prep 2 Solitudes as our neighbors are in Lubbock for some medical procedure. They will be back in 5 days.

His rig

Disconnected the water source, turned the propane furnace on to 65 deg
    Grey/Black water heating pads ON. (Might be some residual fluid in there even though they emptied their tanks before leaveing.

Our rig,
    Filled up our freshly sanitized fresh water tank.
    Furnace on (we're still living here!)
    Disconnected from RV park water. No doubt it will freeze as its 2' above ground level, exposed to the N winds.
    Stored OnTheGo soft water tank in the basement (basement and Nautilus is nice and toasty I might add....)
    Fresh/grey/black water tank heaters on.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I had some 1/4 foam tape sitting in reserve from a couple years ago, deployed this and wrapped our res fridge icemaker water hose just in case!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you got things under control. Just be sure there's enough propane to last this cold spell.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4am the power goes out for the entire area.
    Not good as it is 21 deg with a 30mph wind blowing! Everything is an ice sheet, 1/4" of ice on the roads.
    There are 450 RVs in our Pioneer Park here in Port Aransas and most of them are elderly.

I fired up our iddy biddy Yamaha I2000 and plugged in the 50 to 30 amp plug. Furnace is on, that's the important thing. Residential fridge is running off generator too.

We turned the hot water tank from elec to propane. Unplugged everything from outlets that could potentiallly have a vampire draw, including microwave. Made coffee the old fashioned way. We have a battery lantern we are using for light so the only draw off the generator right now is the Furnace.
    We have plenty of propane but only 2.5 gallons of gas. The generator should run for about 10 hours. Then I'll have to siphon some gas out of our golf cart unless the power comes back on.

Update, the generator is running in Eco mode and doing fine.
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 02-15-2021 at 04:28 AM.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope all is well with you guys. I’m an inexperienced winter camper and feel like I may be encountering a myriad of problems on my way back to Florida. All I could do last minute was turn on the furnace and some of our electric heaters into the cabinet near the fresh water tank and one near our black water tank/pipes. (We’re also living in it). Our freezer was disconnected due to a damaged converter (happened last week) our batteries were fully charged (with a battery charger) I refilled our 3 5 gal propane tanks and a spare 10 gal my bother had in his shed. The only bad thing I did was have water in our grey and black tanks. This morning we heard a pop. I have to do an inspection now to see where I’m leaking if it was a bursted pipe. If not then maybe it was a something falling on us?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    I'm a seasoned winter camper (Class C, previous 5th wheel) but now we have a residential fridge with our 310GK-R.
    Temps in the 20's, wind chill will be 0 for the next 2 days due to 30 mph N winds.

Question:We shut off the ice maker per the manual.Should I do more for that expose blue water line under the slide going to Res fridge? I have some 1/4" foam tape I could deploy however its not heat tape though....

I think we're 'ready' for the next 48 hours.

I actually had to winter prep 2 Solitudes as our neighbors are in Lubbock for some medical procedure. They will be back in 5 days.

His rig

Grey/Black water heating pads ON. (Might be some residual fluid in there even though they emptied their tanks before leaveing.

Our rig,
    Filled up our freshly sanitized fresh water tank.
    Furnace on (we're still living here!)
    Disconnected from RV park water. No doubt it will freeze as its 2' above ground level, exposed to the N winds.
    Stored OnTheGo soft water tank in the basement (basement and Nautilus is nice and toasty I might add....)
    Fresh/grey/black water tank heaters on.
    Your approach sounds solid. You're certainly getting your money's worth on the adventure side of things. Sending some warm thoughts to you which you may need to wrap in foam to keep warm as well.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power came back on! No water for a couple of days though. I have a full 80 gallon tank though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power came back on! No water for a couple of days though. I have a full 80 gallon tank though.
    Good to hear the power is back on; water supply sounds good. Ha! Let the adventure continue now that the advantage has swung back in your favor.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His rig

Grey/Black water heating pads
    Thank you for helping your neighbors during this unusual event. I love it when communities come together to survive these kinds of things.

My only suggestion would be to check the sewer hose. Any kinks or dips will cause them to collect water and then freeze. They are not very robust and spit easily when in freezing conditions.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, we have had 2 hrs of power in 13 hrs.
    This place looks like an 18 wheeler overnighted lot at a Loves truck stop! most hooked up to the 7 pin to keep the batts charged, a lot of folks with new generators. I was happy to help out a couple with some leftover pigtails to get their 30 amp rigs connected to generators.

We got more gasoline today for our generator, long lines at the nearest 2 fuel stations in CORPUS Christi. Corpus has power but Port A is still out. I guess who gets power is where the money is on these rolling black outs!

There are going to be a lot of RVs here with pipes bursting like popcorn when it warms up to 40 tomorrow.
    Thankful for the Grand Design layout, a heat duct goes right into the "wet bay" and basement where the water pump and squid lines are. Basement is a nice 45 degrees when it was 17 deg outside this morning.
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 02-15-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast