User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seasoned RVers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. No help here for your questions, but I’d be interested what you think of the move to GDRV vs Outdoors. Two different classes of RVs IMO. RVs coming out of Oregon, Outdoors and Northwoods seem to have most of the things you ask about as standard offerings. The price usually reflects this.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we purchased a 295 RL that we haven`t used as yet. When we dry camped with the Coachmen we took a 20 gallon brute garbage bin, its lid, fresh water hose and submersible pump. When we ran out of water we took the brute container in the back of the truck to the water fill station. Filled it up to the top and put the lid on it, Drove back to site. attached the submersible pump to the hose, threw it into the bottom of the brute, attached other end of hose to fresh water intake or into tank (had to cut off other end of hose) and plugged it in to truck (I left truck running while doing this). When water was 2" from bottom of brute i unplugged it from truck. I was filling up everyone`s tanks. I could have made a lot of money doing this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Welcome. No help here for your questions, but I’d be interested what you think of the move to GDRV vs Outdoors. Two different classes of RVs IMO. RVs coming out of Oregon, Outdoors and Northwoods seem to have most of the things you ask about as standard offerings. The price usually reflects this.
    Hello..Good question...the reason for looking at 303 rls GDRV is following:
    Floor plan, trailer gvw, trailer length, rack and pinion slide system on main slides and Local dealer.

Our current trailers roof is marine plywood not OSB. Shock absorbers came standard. Not sure why GDRV don’t.
    I installed the morryde cre 3000 wet bolts. The existing plastic bushing just don’t last.
    If ORV had this floor plan I would have bought it.
    ORV plant is only 1 1/2 days drive and I have taken the trailer to have work done. Outstanding service.
    Can’t say enough good things about ORV and am a very proud ORV owner and would highly recommend them.
    They just don’t have the floor plan.

I really like the idea of having a RV manufacturing plant in the west.

I have looked at JAYCO...don’t like the cable slide system on the model we like...but do like the plywood roof.
    Looked at Forest River and their numerous brands...the models we like are either too heavy or too long.

It’s all about compromise and besides a “ trailer is a trailer is a trailer”
    So GDRV is getting a close look.

That’s the rational.

Mulligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is a 2018 303 with a Sept 2017 build date

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    We are starting to shop for 5th wheel. We like the layout of the reflection 303rls.
    Our Tow vehicle is 2012 ram 3500 cummins short box.
    Currently tow a 32 foot bumper pull gross weight 9000 lbs gross manufactured by Outdoors RV La Grand Oregon.

A few questions for Grande Design owners.

Are the pulls in the waste tank valves on the 303 cables or rods? As Rob stated, the pulls are rods connected to cables
    Any issues with the cables. Serious or other wise. As of three years we have not had any issues. We do keep them lubricated as part of the preventative maintenance
    Any Water panel issues( Anderson Kantleak)? What sort? Knock on wood, no issues to date
    We do a lot of dry camping is there a gravity feed port to fill the water tank? If not how is the water tank filled when dry camping? Currently when we dry camp I use water jugs to fill.
    I currently installed morryde cre 3000 wet bolt kit. Does the 303 come with wet bolts No
    Currently we have shock absorbers..do you know if the 303 has them?

Has there been any issues with the OSB roof sheathing?I do a roof inspection twice a year, once when we dewinterize and once when we put it up for the year. No issues however, we have had some screw which attach the front cap begin to back out. I opted to repair myself as we were out of warranty

What fifth wheel hitch is recommended? Brand, slider type? Our TV has a 6 3/4' bed. We elected to purchase a Pullrite Superglide auto slider and are happy with it. Others have utilized a non-slider are appear to be happy as well.

Over all how would you rate Grand Design? 10 would buy again 1 not again. We would buy again. We are considering a smaller unit as there are just two of us

Sorry for the many questions.

We have just got the bugs sorted out in our trailer. Did lots of mods and too many repairs.

We Love the 303 layout with the opposing slides and island sink. We are snow birds for 6 months in southern USA...and would love having more living space in a trailer.We love the layout as you can access the refrigerator and bathroom with both slides in. We looked hard at the 337 but I was not comfortable towing with a 3/4 ton truck. The shower on the 303 is a little tight compared to the 337 and if we were to full time in a reflection and had a 1 ton TV, the 337 would be our preference. Same basic floor plan but larger shower and bathroom

Many thanks
    Be kind, be safe,be careful, wear a mask, keep your distance
    Mulligan
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 303 has wet bolts.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Ours is a 2018 303 with a Sept 2017 build date
    Thanks for the reply. I think we will be looking at purchasing a slider hitch as well.

Keep safe.

Mulligan

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    We are starting to shop for 5th wheel. We like the layout of the reflection 303rls.
    Our Tow vehicle is 2012 ram 3500 cummins short box.
    Currently tow a 32 foot bumper pull gross weight 9000 lbs gross manufactured by Outdoors RV La Grand Oregon.

A few questions for Grande Design owners.

Are the pulls in the waste tank valves on the 303 cables or rods?
    Any issues with the cables. Serious or other wise.
    Any Water panel issues( Anderson Kantleak)? What sort?
    We do a lot of dry camping is there a gravity feed port to fill the water tank? If not how is the water tank filled when dry camping? Currently when we dry camp I use water jugs to fill.
    I currently installed morryde cre 3000 wet bolt kit. Does the 303 come with wet bolts
    Currently we have shock absorbers..do you know if the 303 has them?

Has there been any issues with the OSB roof sheathing?

What fifth wheel hitch is recommended? Brand, slider type?

Over all how would you rate Grand Design? 10 would buy again 1 not again.

Sorry for the many questions.

We have just got the bugs sorted out in our trailer. Did lots of mods and too many repairs.

We Love the 303 layout with the opposing slides and island sink. We are snow birds for 6 months in southern USA...and would love having more living space in a trailer.

Many thanks
    Be kind, be safe,be careful, wear a mask, keep your distance
    Mulligan

I have a 2019 303RLS. Here are answers to some of your questions
    Tank valves are cable. Did have a small problem with one sticking but it was due to how they routed it under the RV. Rerouted and no problem since then.
    I use the Anderson Ultimate hitch with no problems. Light enough I can remove from truck myself and put in. Good clearance from truck bed rails and back of crew cab with short bed 3500 SRW RAM.
    Rate my experience a 10. We use it alot.

Randy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Hello Mulligan....and welcome to the forum. I can't really help you with every question that you have since I own a Momentum and not the Reflection that you are asking about. I can help a little, and I'm sure that there will be some others drop by and hopefully can help you with your questions...

I don't believe that Grand Design uses the Kantleak system anymore. As far as I know, the Nautilus panels are used in the Grand Design trailers. I don't think any of the G.D. models come with shock absorbers from the factory. I'm a big fan of the B&W Companion brand of 5th Wheel hitch. It's solid, sturdy, made in the USA and has a reputation for quality and service if needed. As far as rating G.D, I have only had one other trailer before my Momentum, so not a lot to compare to. I have had very few issues with mine and I'm very please with it. Every brand of trailer out there will likely have a few issues here and there, some more than others. G.D. has built a solid reputation on excellent customer service with their products, and I've seen case after case of them coming through for the customer, sometimes when they really didn't have to. That, to me, speaks volumes about them and one of the reasons that I chose G.D. over the competition.
    We are on our third unit from Grand Design. We have found their quality to be a bit better and we’ve had outstanding experiences with their customer service. Before we bought our Solitude, I went to the service desk of two different RV dealers and I asked them, “of the manufacturers you represent, who would you rather deal with?” The answer from both shops was Grand Design.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 303RLS and we’re heading out on our 10th trip in a couple of weeks. My tow is a 2013 Ford F-250 Super Duty (gas). I’ve pulled the trailer up the grape vine in Southern Cal 4 times which tops out at just over 4100 feet. I have one 3 mile stretch heading south that’s more fun than I really want but so far, no real problems. It’s a 7% incline and it’s about 3 miles long. I get stuck behind slow traffic and semi’s and there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s not in the emergency flasher range but it’s close. I’m sure a diesel 350 would handle that with no problem.
    The back wall of the basement is held in place by 6 screws and when it’s removed you have almost unlimited access to all things plumbing and electrical. Coming from a Jayco White Hawk I was pleasantly surprised when I discover that.
    I’m using a Pullrite 20K SuperLite that’s mounted on rails in the truck and I absolutely love it. Backing in and hooking up is so quick I always think I’ve forgotten something!
    If there’s a manual way to fill the fresh water tank I don’t know what it is. It fills through the water panel with a hose and I haven’t seen any other way to fill it.
    I rank GD and especially the 303RLS a 10 without question.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mulligan

Lots of good answers here and there's not much to add, but I have a few things.

My Solitude came with wet bolts, but I had to replace the suspension after two years because they were all put in dry. And they were not all wet bolts. I got the rig two years old and I don't think it had many miles on it.

I brought that up because you specifically asked abut wet bolts. I have done some pretty extensive customizing in the almost two years that I've had it and there has been quite a bit of disappointment in build quality. However...

From what I've learned in this forum and general reading, I think that, unfortunately, that is normal in the industry. In my opinion, Grand Design is probably better than most with their overall product. Also, as others have said, their customer support is good. I never had any warranty period, but I have talked to their tech people several times and they are pretty helpful (they even sent me build drawings so I could find wall framing).

To sum up, whether you choose Grand Design or any other manufacturer, the list of features might be right, but you still need to take things apart and go through every square inch to fix everything up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast