User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The failure rate due to the tire and not user abuse I believe is less than .5 percent

The only thing I agree with is that other tires likely take abuse more than westlakes

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    A tires JOB is to take abuse! Nobody hits a pothole on purpose. or curbs a tire etc..... Yet these things happen all the time. Only when it comes to trailer tires are many willing to accept failures due to these types of common occurences.
    Worse, many believe that trailer tire pressures need to be monitored at least daily..... Nobody does this on their daily commuter vehicle tires!

It seems that a lot of people are into making excuses as to why trailer tires fail.... Putting the blame on the owners...
    It doesn't have to be this way. Spend some money on good tires, and enjoy the same trouble free performance you get from your automobile tires.
    In Load range E, I am partial to Michelin XPS RIBS. Not cheap. But very, very, good.
    The only Load range E tires I used on TTs that lasted more than 2 years! I actually aged out on 3 sets of them. Not a single issue in 15 years. I replaced them at 5 year intervals (probably could go longer, but I am in Phoenix, and the sun/heat here is brutal).... I then put them on Craigs list for 300.00. The first person to look at them bought them each time. That helped defray the higher cost.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-17-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Worse, many believe that trailer tire pressures need to be monitored at least daily..... Nobody does this on their daily commuter vehicle tires!
    That's a good point. I think the reason many people with RV's pay closer attention to their trailer tires is because of what a tire failure on an RV can do. Not only can it cause a lot of damage to the RV but there usually isn't a very safe place to pull over to replace the tire. It's pretty common when a trailer tire fails to have parts of it wrap around the axles, leveling jacks and propane lines. Laying on the side of the road under the RV while trying to make these repairs is not my idea of fun. When a tire fails on a car, you just pull over anywhere and change it. Piece of cake.

There are other differences with trailer vs car tires. Cars tires are used daily. Most trailer tires sit for months between uses. In most case, when you get the oil changed in your car or have other service done, they check the tire pressure for you. Not so with RV's. Car tires generally get replaced every 3-4 years. Since trailer tires typically have very few miles on them, many people run them for many, many years without replacing them because the tread looks good. Finally, there are dozens of excellent passenger car tires available. By comparison, there are only a couple of good 16" tires for RV's.

IMO, there are only two quality trailer tires with a high enough load index rating for a heavy 5th wheel. One is the Sailun S637 (up to 132) and the other is the Westlake G. The Goodyear G614 is an excellent tire. I replaced my E rated Westlakes with these tires the day I bought my Reflection. But, it's low load index rating of 126 isn't suitable for heavier RV's IMO.

Because of the penalty for a tire failure on an RV, I pay close attention to them. When I'm towing, I spend 80% of my monitoring time looking at my trailer tire pressures.

So yeah, many people don't pay attention to their car or trailer tires but you pay a steeper price for doing the latter.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    That's a good point. I think the reason many people with RV's pay closer attention to their trailer tires is because of what a tire failure on an RV can do. Not only can it cause a lot of damage to the RV but there usually isn't a very safe place to pull over to replace the tire. It's pretty common when a trailer tire fails to have parts of it wrap around the axles, leveling jacks and propane lines. Laying on the side of the road under the RV while trying to make these repairs is not my idea of fun. When a tire fails on a car, you just pull over anywhere and change it. Piece of cake.

There are other differences with trailer vs car tires. Cars tires are used daily. Most trailer tires sit for months between uses. In most case, when you get the oil changed in your car or have other service done, they check the tire pressure for you. Not so with RV's. Car tires generally get replaced every 3-4 years. Since trailer tires typically have very few miles on them, many people run them for many, many years without replacing them because the tread looks good. Finally, there are dozens of excellent passenger car tires available. By comparison, there are only a couple of good 16" tires for RV's.

IMO, there are only two quality trailer tires with a high enough load index rating for a heavy 5th wheel. One is the Sailun S637 (up to 132) and the other is the Westlake G. The Goodyear G614 is an excellent tire. I replaced my E rated Westlakes with these tires the day I bought my Reflection. But, it's low load index rating of 126 isn't suitable for heavier RV's IMO.

Because of the penalty for a tire failure on an RV, I pay close attention to them. When I'm towing, I spend 80% of my monitoring time looking at my trailer tire pressures.

So yeah, many people don't pay attention to their car or trailer tires but you pay a steeper price for doing the latter.
    I have been towing TTs for 30 years. Early on I had many such failures with ST tires.(and the associated damage)The final straw was when a brand new Goodyear Marathon exploded with less than 100 miles on it. That is when I made the expensive jump to the Michelins. New rims, and 6 lug drums in addition to the tires. Best move I ever made. I gradually became able to trust them. As I said before, I had 3 sets over 15 years with no failures. The previous 15 years were riddled with failures. None of those tires made it to their second birthday. I am not your "normal RVer" My TTs got used at least once a month, and I have a 80 gallon two stage compressor in the garage. I never moved the TT without making sure the pressures were correct. It did not make a difference. Country of origin made no difference either. My advice is get into a 16" LT tire. Do whatever it takes to make them fit. The TT, I made the swap on started life on 14" rims and 205 LRC tires. It can be done if one wants it badly enough.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westlakes are a "Great Tire"? but don't go over 65 MPH

Now, that's funny!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

I had the G614s on my Momentum, came from the factory when that was still an option. We put probably close to 20k miles in the 4 years we owned it, and I will say I was very happy with them. I checked tire pressure before every trip and they always held 110psi, I'd purchase them again without any hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does the 0.5% number come from? What source are you using for such statistics?

Secondly, why would anyone settle for Westlakes if other tires "likely take abuse more than westlakes"?

You aren't making much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The failure rate due to the tire and not user abuse I believe is less than .5 percent

The only thing I agree with is that other tires likely take abuse more than westlakes

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again with the "I believe" and a number based on nothing. You need to stop posting such fiction. No source means the number has no cred. None. If you wrote such a sentence in my high school stats class, your paper would get an F. You are sounding like a sales rep for a manufacturer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    Again with the "I believe" and a number based on nothing. You need to stop posting such fiction. No source means the number has no cred. None. If you wrote such a sentence in my high school stats class, your paper would get an F. You are sounding like a sales rep for a manufacturer.
    Please turn down the animosity level of your rhetoric . We are adults and don’t need your chiding us like “ your students” Besides It am curious to see none of you posts contain statistical metrics ....especially because you state you teach this for high schoolers. Anyone can copy and past old internet statements.

While I may agree with your assessment of Westlakes overall I am not foolish enough to believe that all their branded tires are substandard. I changed my 205 /75 out to Goodyear Endurance the day I purchased our trailer because I saw first hand of the Westlakes sidewall inferior construction.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234