User Tag List

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freezing in TX -> what damage to look for?

Like a bunch of others, I'm stuck in West Texas in single-digit temps. We're running the furnace at about 70F and a small space heater, but it's still pretty cold and will remain below freezing until Tuesday afternoon. Starting last night, there's no hot water at any sink nor any water flow in the toilet. Both the kitchen and bathroom sink have cold water. The water heater is on electric and the element feels warm-ish, so I believe it's just the piping frozen towards the back of the trailer somewhere. As of this morning, there's ice on the door frame and also on the bedroom walls where the aluminum framing is along the bottom edge and running vertically a couple feet.

When things start to thaw out, where should I start looking for damage? I'd like to catch leaks early. Anything I can or should do about the ice on the walls? I considered trying to melt it with a hair dryer, but I suspect it'll just refreeze tonight and I'm better off leaving it alone until temps warm enough for it to stay thawed so it doesn't soak into anything before refreezing.

As an aside for anyone else, I taped plastic sheeting of the kind you use for covering drafty windows over all our windows and it helped quite a bit. It feels warmer closer to the windows, and the frames have less frost on them.

2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe
    Last edited by chrisandtara; 02-15-2021 at 08:33 AM.