User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    You HAVE to have 4 wheel drive, AMZOIL is the best oil, and Cummins Dodges are the best trucks! Anybody that disagrees is a _______. So there. End of discussion...lol

TBH...I have no idea why so many people want 4x4....Most don't ever come close to really using it.
    In my case, if rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I've actually used it in a couple of situations. Once, while towing the coach out of the Forest Service land where my daughter had her elk hunt, in the snow. Then, before that, a couple of times we got into mud at two different RV parks. That was not fun.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    In my case, if rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I've actually used it in a couple of situations.
    I actually use it a lot. Moose hunting, launching boats, getting stuck getting to fishing lakes etc. But I know lots of people that have it and never get off a paved road.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-27-2023 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people buy all wheel drive suv's and never use it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto MoonShadow-

I use it a few times a year usually in mundane state parks for odd reasons. Once exploring in Montana w/o the trailer. But when I needed it, I needed it. In fact it may have been MoonShadow who tilted my scale when I bought my current TV. I was going to stay with the 2WD, glad I did not.

Too much truck is a nice problem to have.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a new van with 2wd in 2020 with the big 8 cylinder engine(they kept changing the max sizes. I put a deposit down but the order was never built.about 3 months ago the dealer told me that Chevy wasn’t going to build the vans with the bigger engine anymore. So order was canceled. Now am thinking of Ram 2500 gasser with 4 WD. Probably never use it here but couldn’t hurt and probably would help with resale value. Now the problem is PRICE. Almost twice of what the van sold have cost 2 years ago. Also the options. With a van they ask you if you want a passenger seat, with the pickup there are a thousand options!
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    "...... I was wondering about the need of 4 wheel drive as a general need to pull off the road for a night or 2 while boondocking and maybe state and BLM lands......"

This ^^ was the OPs question - almost 2 years ago; and I don't think he ever commented since then. So not sure he is going to see this new advice/comments/suggestions.

None-the-less, I have a comment about 2x4 vs 4x4 for those who might pick up on this thread....

My first truck for towing (a 2020, F250, 2x4) was impossible to re-sell in '06 on my own because it was 'only' a 2x4. I ended up just trading it on the new truck. Now, for me, 4 trucks later, I always opt for 4x4 - and I live in FL! So I like to remind potential buyers to think about trade-in value/desire along with usage.

And since the OP was going to go off road out west (BLM, etc.) I think a 4x4 would be a smart choice. I use (and need) my 4x4 a lot when out west when off road touring (without the rig in tow). And the snow always seems to find me even in the early and late summer months so it works for me then too.
    Glenn, Linda and King George of Willowview
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2023 chevy Silverado 2500 custom
    Micro air Easy start
    175 AH Lifepo4 Big Battery w Aili battery monitor
    TST 507

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your great input!
    Glenn, Linda and King George of Willowview
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2023 chevy Silverado 2500 custom
    Micro air Easy start
    175 AH Lifepo4 Big Battery w Aili battery monitor
    TST 507

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    How many people buy all wheel drive suv's and never use it.
    Most that have them don't know that they are using it. They are all wheel drive all the time. They are great for coming out of corners, We use ours to run to Reno-100 miles-in snow. Our 4x4 dually is crap in snow empty, Oh yea, it don't pass a gas station either.
    I agree though, didn't need it, or have one before we moved up here. Have a friend in L.A. that has a Subaru that didn't think it was AWD 'cause it didn't have a nob to turn
    Did I say they're great coming out of corners, or on twisty roads without DW?
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I'm totally in the 4x4 camp and with you on the backing up. I'm intrigued....what is the 2 wheel low range lock kit? I use my GMC to back up very steep inclines pushing my old 16K lb Montana all the time. Two wheel drive would be worthless in those situations. The diesel power band and front wheel drive axle weight along with the 4x4 make it easy peasy to do this work.
    This from BD Diesel’s web site:
    “Vehicle maneuverability is reduced while in 4WD. When the 2Low Unloc is turned on, you disable the front wheel drive mechanism allowing for full torque to be available to the rear wheels only. The front wheels will NOT be driven, delivering normal 2WD maneuverability while in low range! This will also allow for sharp "All The Way Over" turns without the front axle u-joint hopping or binding.”

Only available for select Dodge and Chevy that electronically lock/unlock the front differential. Here is their web site.

https://us.bddiesel.com/products/2-l...30073631604800
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    This from BD Diesel’s web site:
    “Vehicle maneuverability is reduced while in 4WD. When the 2Low Unloc is turned on, you disable the front wheel drive mechanism allowing for full torque to be available to the rear wheels only. The front wheels will NOT be driven, delivering normal 2WD maneuverability while in low range! This will also allow for sharp "All The Way Over" turns without the front axle u-joint hopping or binding.”

Only available for select Dodge and Chevy that electronically lock/unlock the front differential. Here is their web site.

https://us.bddiesel.com/products/2-l...30073631604800
    Ahhhh...makes sense now. Chevy does not use that straight front axle any longer like Ford and Dodge and abandoned that design back in the late 80s when I worked for GM. The GM trucks have a different system and there are no hubs to lock/unlock at the wheels. There is an electric motor which locks the hub shafts together when the transfer case is engaged. It locks and unlocks within 1-3 seconds. It's quick and very efficient. Everything is fully automatic no matter what the speed or road condition.
    It is true that the front wheels and 4x4 components will bind slightly on dry pavement due to the individual rolling speeds of each wheel and which wheels have torque applied. Most who understand how 4x4 works won't run the system when the roads are dry or the 4x4 is not needed. I had to deal with locking hub issues all the time when Chevy used that straight axle setup and when I worked for Ford. I don't miss those days. On the Fords, the auto hubs were not holding up to all the torque of the Power Stroke engines in the nineties. We were replacing all the auto-locking hubs with manual hubs which of course then required the truck owner to predict when they needed 4x4 and get out of the truck each time to lock the hubs. Unlocking them also meant getting out of the truck and backing up 10'. What a pain! Hopefully they have gotten better today.
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 01-28-2023 at 09:38 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234