5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    “Should be” under this weight not “has to be”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Copied from my truck's owner's manual. Notice the word "Must"

"The addition of trailer kingpin load weight, and the weight of passengers and cargo, must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification LabeL
    Last edited by CWSWine; 02-20-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Should be” under this weight not “has to be”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    You are correct. My neighbor is an adjuster for a major RV insurance company and he assured me if you end up in court most insurance companies will not pay if you exceed weight limits. Take it for what it is worth. Read the small print in your insurance contract.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I bought the same TT. Taking possession in 3 weeks. I was on the fence with my 2020 f150 3.5 eco boost. I’m sitting back and reading the comments now.
    Similar here. Bought a new 2017 F150 with 3.5 eco and max tow, trailer back up camera's etc. Then a new 2600RB in March of 2018 with a blue ox sway pro wdh. Truck pulled great but after 8 trips, I traded truck for a 250. The trailer is a huge wind sail and I did not enjoy the rides at all on any open highways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by silvestravel View Post
    Hello!

We're looking to upgrade our camper, just need a bit more space than we currently have. We're looking at purchasing a Grand Design 2600RB.

Tow vehicle:
    2018 RAM 1500
    Curb Weight: 5378.50
    GVWR: 6900
    GCVWR: 13,800
    Towing Capacity: 7990
    Payload: 1200

The GD 2600RB is:
    UVW: 5795
    GVWR: 7850
    Hitch: 594

So I know the GVWR is pushing our limits of what we can tow, which with that comes safety concerns. The issue I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on is does the GVWR matter if we're not loading it up 100%. We know from our current camper that we added about 431lbs of cargo (CAT scale pre-trip minus the UVW of our current TT).

With that being considered rounding up to 500LBs, even 600lbs for error puts us at 6,395 lbs. Which is 1,595 lbs below our towing capacity.

The easy answer is get a 250 or 2500. Unfortunately just not in the cards at this moment. We just got the 1500 last year and then the camper. At the time with the market it was hard to find trucks and campers due to demand (more people camping due to COVID). We camped nearly every weekend last year and learned we need a bit more space and function.

All that to say I understand the point of the GVWR, but if we're not planning to load up, does it really matter in this case?
    Open to any additional feedback.

Thanks in Advance!
    I have a 2021 2600rb, towing with a 2015 f150 with a 3.5 ecoboost and 3:31 rear. It'll tow it but don't expect more than 8-9 mpg and only 60-65 mph max. Get a good WD anti sway hitch. I'm upgrading to an F250

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    You are correct. My neighbor is an adjuster for a major RV insurance company and he assured me if you end up in court most insurance companies will not pay if you exceed weight limits. Take it for what it is worth. Read the small print in your insurance contract.
    There is such small print in my tow vehicle’s insurance or in the coverage for my RV (also by a major RV insurance company). There are page after page of exclusions but there is no mention of weight limits.

In my state, vehicle liability coverage as well as collision and comprehensive coverage for my tow vehicle, are provided by the insurance for the tow vehicle, not the RV insurance company. The RV insurance just covers the RV itself.

Insurance company’s have little choice regarding liability coverage if they insure your vehicle. They can’t just claim they’re not paying because you were overweight. Being overweight just ain’t that much different than speeding, bald tires, worn out brakes, running a stop sign, etc. Insurance companies liability coverage is not subject to the whims and wishes of the insurance company. They are licensed by the state and they confirm to the state that you are indeed covered. They can choose not to insure you, but once they do, they are on the hook up to the stated liability limits of the policy.

That being said, I am no fan of being overweight or towing beyond the stated limits of the vehicles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Displacement replacement View Post
    I have a 2021 2600rb, towing with a 2015 f150 with a 3.5 ecoboost and 3:31 rear. It'll tow it but don't expect more than 8-9 mpg and only 60-65 mph max. Get a good WD anti sway hitch. I'm upgrading to an F250
    We have a 2017 Silverado 1500 with 6.2L and 3.23 axle ratio with blue ox WD hitch. I have no issues what so ever towing the 2600RB. Have yet to experience the tail wagging the dog. We get a little over 11 mpg towing at 65 mph and could easily significanty exceed that speed if we chose to. We also get over 21 mph at 65 mph when not towing. In tow haul mode the engine provides significant engine braking.

Would prefer a 2500 but hubby is not be happy climbing in or out of one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kduane01 View Post
    Similar here. Bought a new 2017 F150 with 3.5 eco and max tow, trailer back up camera's etc. Then a new 2600RB in March of 2018 with a blue ox sway pro wdh. Truck pulled great but after 8 trips, I traded truck for a 250. The trailer is a huge wind sail and I did not enjoy the rides at all on any open highways.
    This is exactly what I meant by the physics of the setup. A great deal of it is more than cargo capacity and max towing capability. The heavier vehicle has the control when it comes to starting, stopping, and acceleration. Just a reminder, acceleration can take place in any direction. Forward (gas), reverse (brake), side to side (wind) and centripetal (circular) during a turn. The 3/4 ton truck is heavier, has sturdier suspension, built in brake controllers with automatic sway reduction and adjustment for weight of trailer and brake types.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmnklm View Post
    This is exactly what I meant by the physics of the setup. A great deal of it is more than cargo capacity and max towing capability. The heavier vehicle has the control when it comes to starting, stopping, and acceleration. Just a reminder, acceleration can take place in any direction. Forward (gas), reverse (brake), side to side (wind) and centripetal (circular) during a turn. The 3/4 ton truck is heavier, has sturdier suspension, built in brake controllers with automatic sway reduction and adjustment for weight of trailer and brake types.
    I would love to see the exact numbers that my 1500 at 5500 lbs vs a 2500 at 6300 lbs makes a difference

I can’t see 800 lbs making starting,stopping and control that big a difference hmmmm. Maybe

My 1500 has built in brake control. I think most do

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see the exact numbers that my 1500 at 5500 lbs vs a 2500 at 6300 lbs makes a difference

I can’t see 800 lbs making starting,stopping and control that big a difference hmmmm. Maybe

My 1500 has built in brake control. I think most do

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I’ll let others weigh in, here but most 1/2 ton trucks do not have built in break controllers while more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do. Again, the difference is a combination of things and anyone who has gone from a 1/2 ton coming close to its limits to a 3/4 ton pulling that same load will tell you the same thing. It makes a world of difference having a beefier tow vehicle in every way.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmnklm View Post
    I’ll let others weigh in, here but most 1/2 ton trucks do not have built in break controllers while more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do. Again, the difference is a combination of things and anyone who has gone from a 1/2 ton coming close to its limits to a 3/4 ton pulling that same load will tell you the same thing. It makes a world of difference having a beefier tow vehicle in every way.
    Well that is a never ending statement you could make about anything
    I am sure all the 2500 guys on here would benefit from a 3500 and I am sure plenty of 3500 guys could benefit from a medium duty Volvo

I can’t imagine a noticeable difference for me I have tons of power,braking and can drive the highway with a couple of fingers on the wheel but I would definitely notice a “heavier” truck the other 360 days of the year I am not towing
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast