User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here are the weigh sheets. 1st one is with the torsion bars engaged. 2nd is torsion bars removed and inside the truck bed. 3rd is truck alone.
    Trailer water tank was approx 15 to 20 gallons. all other tanks were empty.
    Truck had our clothes bags, computer, camera, and a few misc items in the back seat. In the bed was a small screen room4 chocks, and some 2x8 blocks for the front jack.
    I'm new at this so I don't doubt I made an error so please enlighten me, I'm all eyes.
    EDIT: trailer is extremely level when torsion bars are engaged. If anything it trends to be nose up (bubble on torpedo level within the lines).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	32372
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1359_76499645_02122021_114939_546.pdf   1359_76499646_02122021_115324_489.pdf   1359_76499648_02122021_120308_080.pdf  
    Last edited by jleonard; 02-26-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Ok here are the weigh sheets. 1st one is with the torsion bars engaged. 2nd is torsion bars removed and inside the truck bed. 3rd is truck alone.
    Truck had our clothes bags, computer, camera, and a few misc items in the back seat. In the bed was a small screen room4 chocks, and some 2x8 blocks for the front jack.
    I'm new at this so I don't doubt I made an error so please enlighten me, I'm all eyes.
    EDIT: trailer is extremely level when torsion bars are engaged. If anything it trends to be nose up (bubble on torpedo level within the lines).
    Now that you’ve done the hard work of getting it weighed, plug your numbers into this calculator, the results will be at the bottom:
    http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I may be missing something, but this does not seem correct. I would think the drive and steering axles nearly identical is the one with the bars attached. The idea of the WD hitch is that it takes some of the weight on the hitch and redistributes it to the front axle and trailer axle.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmnklm View Post
    Sorry, I may be missing something, but this does not seem correct. I would think the drive and steering axles nearly identical is the one with the bars attached. The idea of the WD hitch is that it takes some of the weight on the hitch and redistributes it to the front axle and trailer axle.
    Ticket#1 4800, 4540, 6440 (WDH engaged)
    Ticket#2 4700, 4680, 6400 (WDH disengaged)
    Ticket#3 5100, 3360

With the WDH engaged it distributed weight to his steer axle (4800) and took weight off the drive axle (4540)
    With the WDH disengaged you can see the steer axle got lighter because the front of the truck was lifted due to the full weight of the trailer tongue which made the drive axle heavier.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: trailer is extremely level when torsion bars are engaged. If anything it trends to be nose up (bubble on torpedo level within the lines).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	32372
    Your tongue weight is 920 lbs., not 1140, 1180, or 1300. Add both truck axles with WD not engaged and subtract axles for truck alone.

4700 + 4680 - 5100 - 3360 = 920. That’s about 12.5% of your trailers total weight (7300 +/- lbs.) (This all assumes I got the math right.)

That being said thats a lot off tongue weight for a 2600 RB. Ours has a tongue weight of 750 lbs when loaded. The fresh water tank on that trailer is just in front of the axles, so maybe adds 30 - 35 lbs at the tongue.

Your WD transferred 140 lbs off your drive axle, transfered 100 lbs to your steer axle, and transferred 40 lbs to the trailers axles. Doesn’t seem like a lot of weight trasnferred considering the WD hitch probably add 75 - 80 lbs at the hitch.

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but you truck looks a little nose high. Both truck and trailer should sit level with the WD properly set.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: trailer is extremely level when torsion bars are engaged. If anything it trends to be nose up (bubble on torpedo level within the lines).
    Not sure which hitch you have but you may be able to make an adjustment to transfer a little more weight to your steer axle.

You may also try the wheel well measurement, which is not as accurate as a CAT weight, but can give you some indication. With a ruler and on level ground and not hitched, measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well. Then hitch the trailer and do the same measurement. I’ve got mine to within 1/2” and the steering feels the same as when not towing.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I wanted to throw out there something about the the sway control that is built into the current trucks. It does not prevent sway, it is not a proactive system, like sway control devices on your hitch. It only activates when it detects the trailer swaying past a predetermined amount, by reducing engine power, applying truck brakes, or even trailer brakes. One should not allow a trailer to get to that point. If it is activating, you already have a problem.
    Well I found out in real time how well it works. Picked up 2021 2970RL yesterday and they didn't have the EQ4 hitch I specified. (long story) I pulled it home, about 50 miles, and hit a wind gust. Keep in mind, I didn't have a wd hitch or sway control. The back of the trailer kicked out a little and the truck slowed and braked just like it was designed to do. Nothing scary, but I wouldn't want to do that again. New hitch will be here wednesday and don't plan on going anywhere anyway until it warms up a little.
    Just to clarify. I DO NOT recommend not using a WD hitch with sway control.
    Last edited by BobnColo; 02-27-2021 at 08:09 AM.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Your tongue weight is 920 lbs., not 1140, 1180, or 1300. Add both truck axles with WD not engaged and subtract axles for truck alone.

4700 + 4680 - 5100 - 3360 = 920. That’s about 12.5% of your trailers total weight (7300 +/- lbs.) (This all assumes I got the math right.)

That being said thats a lot off tongue weight for a 2600 RB. Ours has a tongue weight of 750 lbs when loaded. The fresh water tank on that trailer is just in front of the axles, so maybe adds 30 - 35 lbs at the tongue.

Your WD transferred 140 lbs off your drive axle, transfered 100 lbs to your steer axle, and transferred 40 lbs to the trailers axles. Doesn’t seem like a lot of weight trasnferred considering the WD hitch probably add 75 - 80 lbs at the hitch.

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but you truck looks a little nose high. Both truck and trailer should sit level with the WD properly set.
    That makes me feel better, thanks for the link to the calculator.

The truck's front wheel well is only 1/4 higher with the trailer hooked up and the trailer is level to the frame. It actually is just a tad nose high if anything but the bubble is still between the lines.
    I did find the sheet with the supposedly actual weights from GD and it said the tongue weight was 660 when it left the factory.

I did add a second battery, but there is really not much in the trailer honestly. We knew (our now ex)1500 would be overloaded so we were really careful only one pan under the bed, a week's worth of supplies mostly in the fridge which is over the axle, my tool bag was over the axle, lightweight dishes and plastic glasses in the cupboards.
    And not really much in the basement, 2 power cords, a couple of adapters, a very small grill, camp axe and a couple of hoses.

I also redid the calculations with the 1500 and I was right at the GCWR limit so buying the 2500 was the right thing to do as we plan on spending the summer trailering about.

That said I'll try moving the trailer brackets up one level and see how the torsion bars change things.

Thanks to all for your comments. Like I said I'm new to the travel trailer world. (Maybe I need to spend a few weeks in a Holiday Inn Express LOL)
    Last edited by jleonard; 03-01-2021 at 05:53 AM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567