Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about towing and GVWR

Hello!

We're looking to upgrade our camper, just need a bit more space than we currently have. We're looking at purchasing a Grand Design 2600RB.

Tow vehicle:
    2018 RAM 1500
    Curb Weight: 5378.50
    GVWR: 6900
    GCVWR: 13,800
    Towing Capacity: 7990
    Payload: 1200

The GD 2600RB is:
    UVW: 5795
    GVWR: 7850
    Hitch: 594

So I know the GVWR is pushing our limits of what we can tow, which with that comes safety concerns. The issue I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on is does the GVWR matter if we're not loading it up 100%. We know from our current camper that we added about 431lbs of cargo (CAT scale pre-trip minus the UVW of our current TT).

With that being considered rounding up to 500LBs, even 600lbs for error puts us at 6,395 lbs. Which is 1,595 lbs below our towing capacity.

The easy answer is get a 250 or 2500. Unfortunately just not in the cards at this moment. We just got the 1500 last year and then the camper. At the time with the market it was hard to find trucks and campers due to demand (more people camping due to COVID). We camped nearly every weekend last year and learned we need a bit more space and function.

All that to say I understand the point of the GVWR, but if we're not planning to load up, does it really matter in this case?
    Open to any additional feedback.

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by silvestravel; 02-15-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight police will start commenting very soon

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The weight police will start commenting very soon

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    Really? Thats real constructive advice.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t mean to be short, but you’re looking for a definitive answer when there is a great deal of gray area. You obviously know your numbers. So:

By the numbers, you can tow your trailer safely provided:
    1. You use a premium WD Hitch that also has sway reduction.
    2. Your truck is in optimal safety condition, mechanically
    3. You don’t overload your truck with passengers / cargo

Even so, you will still have times when your trailer is influencing your truck more than the reverse. It’s during those times (like the downhill turn scenario listed earlier) you will have to be sure you are aware of the physics of the setup. Make sure you use caution and keep an eye on the numbers.

That being said, I had a similar situation with my RAM 1500 with a 3.21 rear end. When we switched to a 2500 with a 3.71 rear end we gained 5k lbs more towing capacity and over 1000 lbs more cargo capacity. With a built in break controller and auto levelers, that thing makes a world of difference.

So be safe, go slow, you’ll be fine. But when you are able, upgrade your truck. You won’t believe the difference.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the information. While I understand there's not a one size fits all, seems like it boils down to we can tow it, but how much do we want to be pushing the bar for what we should be towing.
    We just got the 1500 last year, and looking at additional TT we can tow with a 1500 we're limited more than we thought. Talking now if it's worth getting a 2500 now or waiting it out and getting a 2500 down the road.

Really appreciate all of the information this forum has provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvestravel View Post
    Thanks for all the information. While I understand there's not a one size fits all, seems like it boils down to we can tow it, but how much do we want to be pushing the bar for what we should be towing.
    We just got the 1500 last year, and looking at additional TT we can tow with a 1500 we're limited more than we thought. Talking now if it's worth getting a 2500 now or waiting it out and getting a 2500 down the road.

Really appreciate all of the information this forum has provided.
    I commend you for doing your homework now. Your margins are slim... I think you'll be under GCVWR, but your payload of 1200 is concerning. Ram 1500s are notorious for low payload ratings. So, let's start there. You state 1200 lbs for payload. Take 1200 minus the weight of yourself, your dear wife, and the pooch. With this number will reflect the allowable tongue weight. The weight sheet of the TT will probably show a tongue weight closer to 800 lbs, then you need to add the weight of a WDH, and you need to add the weight of the stuff you put in the front bay. Your profile doesn't state where you live, but on flat land you may be OK. Personally i would look at more truck or a smaller trailer.

I'm in kinda the same boat. My truck is more than capable, but when we bring the kayaks we are maxed out on payload/GVWR towing our 22 MLE. We love to go to Colorado and with the grades, a 3/4 ton is in my future.

You have some tough decisions ahead of you and I hope you make the one that is best for you and your family.

Safe and happy travels.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well using your numbers you do indeed have a nice safety margin in "towing capacity" so....
    Guesstimating tongue weight we'll use 12.5% x your trailer weight of 6395 lbs and that leaves you with 800lbs +/-.
    What you don't know (at least in the post) is what your TV weights by itself, fully loaded.
    We do know it has about 800lbs in it via the tongue.
    Weighting the truck when full up for camping will get you a lot closer to the answer you seek, all "comforts/safety/opinions" aside.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You've got four potential limits to consider, more or less in this order:

1. Hitch capacity - usually a sticker on the bottom of the hitch. Essentially how much weight it is rated for. This would be the max tongue weight permissible. There are different amounts for dead weight vs using weight distributing.
    2. Truck payload - the GVWR of the truck, minus what it currently weights for travel (without trailer). Includes all passengers, snacks, tools, etc., etc. Will be less than the "Payload sticker" due to the things added since it rolled off the factory floor. You hitch weight and tongue weight count against this, too.
    3. The CGVWR - actual weight of the truck and trailer combined, all loaded with all passengers.
    4. The towing capacity. But if you're good for the above three, this will be fine, also. The closer you get to this limit, the more you may struggle up steep hills.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    You've got four potential limits to consider, more or less in this order:

1. Hitch capacity - usually a sticker on the bottom of the hitch. Essentially how much weight it is rated for. This would be the max tongue weight permissible. There are different amounts for dead weight vs using weight distributing.
    2. Truck payload - the GVWR of the truck, minus what it currently weights for travel (without trailer). Includes all passengers, snacks, tools, etc., etc. Will be less than the "Payload sticker" due to the things added since it rolled off the factory floor. You hitch weight and tongue weight count against this, too.
    3. The CGVWR - actual weight of the truck and trailer combined, all loaded with all passengers.
    4. The towing capacity. But if you're good for the above three, this will be fine, also. The closer you get to this limit, the more you may struggle up steep hills.....
    1. Hitch says 1,400 lbs.
    2. Estimating 650 - There's just two of us and a small dog. We load most of what we have in the camper not much other than wood in the truck bed.
    3. Using what we had from our last CAT weigh in and subbing the Grand Design looks like we'd be about 13,720. Which puts us only 80lbs short of GCVWR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about towing and GVWR

Quote Originally Posted by silvestravel View Post
    1. Hitch says 1,400 lbs.
    2. Estimating 650 - There's just two of us and a small dog. We load most of what we have in the camper not much other than wood in the truck bed.
    3. Using what we had from our last CAT weigh in and subbing the Grand Design looks like we'd be about 13,720. Which puts us only 80lbs short of GCVWR
    How are you arriving at 13720??

5400+6400= 11800

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-15-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast