User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Filter in Pass Through Storage

For my 2600rb I have a nice 3 stage water filter. Micron, Carbon, and Heavy Metal/Iron. It also has an attached water regulator. So far I've been using it by setting it up under the trailer and locking it to the stabilizer jack. Sort of a pain in the rear.

Today I mounted it inside my pass through storage along the back wall. The water lines for the filter pass over the nautilus panel. The input goes out through the floor cover and sticks out a few inches under the trailer where I hook up my water hose. The output goes to a valve and attaches to the city water port. Way better and saves me a step when setting up and breaking down camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wf1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	27864

Name:	wf2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	27865

Name:	wf3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	27866
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    For my 2600rb I have a nice 3 stage water filter. Micron, Carbon, and Heavy Metal/Iron. It also has an attached water regulator. So far I've been using it by setting it up under the trailer and locking it to the stabilizer jack. Sort of a pain in the rear.

Today I mounted it inside my pass through storage along the back wall. The water lines for the filter pass over the nautilus panel. The input goes out through the floor cover and sticks out a few inches under the trailer where I hook up my water hose. The output goes to a valve and attaches to the city water port. Way better and saves me a step when setting up and breaking down camp.
    This looks great. I have a couple of questions. Since this filter is in the main water line coming in does it reduce the water pressure or flow volume to the trailer? Also is there any advantage to filtering all the water entering the trailer vs only filtering water for kitchen use and drinking? Most of the water used in the trailer is bathroom toilet, sink and shower. Filter life must be related to the amount of water put through them. Is filter life a concern or are the filters inexpensive and available?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. What's the plan when changing filters? Stick a tub or something under it to catch the water or remove the entire assembly?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    This looks great. I have a couple of questions. Since this filter is in the main water line coming in does it reduce the water pressure or flow volume to the trailer? Also is there any advantage to filtering all the water entering the trailer vs only filtering water for kitchen use and drinking? Most of the water used in the trailer is bathroom toilet, sink and shower. Filter life must be related to the amount of water put through them. Is filter life a concern or are the filters inexpensive and available?
    All filters will reduce flow. In this case there is a 55 psi regulator just before the filter. And the filter is going to further reduce that down. My original setup was a 35 psi reducer then a small blue filter. Flow seems about the same between the two systems. Yes filtering just sinks would work but I would rather not have any contaminants in any of the lines.

We're just weekend warriors so no real concern about filter replacement. For us micron maybe twice a year and carbon one a year. Those two filters are cheap the expensive filter is the heavy metal/iron filter but that's rated for 6,000 gallons so that should take a while.

For full timers they make bigger filters.
    Charles and Susan

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Looks good. What's the plan when changing filters? Stick a tub or something under it to catch the water or remove the entire assembly?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'll probably just use a tub with towels. With that said it is hung with 3 screws. Two of them are in key holes so to remove it off the wall I really only need to remove the middle screw then push the filter up about 1/2 inch and lift it off the wall.
    Charles and Susan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

follow up question

@ckreef - as a follow up question, now that you've traveled with this, how has the filter performed? I also have a 2600 RB and am debating the different options. The RVWaterFilter filters have the white frame bracket, or the blue bracket for $110+ more. I'd like to mount the filter just to keep things neat and tidy, and perhaps make setup a little simpler. Did the bracket you used hold up well? thx.
    JayRay
    2021 2600 RB; GMC Sierra HD

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ckreef that looks good! Changing filters in place with a tub under them will likely work well. It does for my set up. If it were me, I'd put a tub under there permanently to give you a chance to catch any leaks--I speak from experience here. When my UV system started to leak due to a poorly screwed fitting, we caught it and corrected it without making a huge mess.

The only other advice I have would be to swap out the hose for residential PEX and brass hose thread to pipe thread fittings. I've done that on both sides of my water system. You'll find that over time hose inside the pass through will have trouble dealing with varying rv parks' water pressures. What you can do is have a hose connection of you own making inside the wet bay for host coming from the spigot.

If you do that, you can even get a residential pressure regulator with sharkbite fittings--way better than the RV ones.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good; thx for the tips
    JayRay
    2021 2600 RB; GMC Sierra HD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    @ckreef - as a follow up question, now that you've traveled with this, how has the filter performed? I also have a 2600 RB and am debating the different options. The RVWaterFilter filters have the white frame bracket, or the blue bracket for $110+ more. I'd like to mount the filter just to keep things neat and tidy, and perhaps make setup a little simpler. Did the bracket you used hold up well? thx.
    The white bracket is more than adequate for hanging the filter. If I remember correctly the blue bracket is a boxed in type bracket which allows it to stand alone on the ground (or hard surface) without tipping over.

Of course how long the filters last depends on usage. We are just weekend warriors going camping once a month. For us change the pre filter twice a year, carbon filter once a year and the iron filter once every two years.
    Charles and Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast