User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting the LiFePO Battery / Inverter Project Started (2020 - 303rls)

I've been planning the project for a while (like 3 months) but seem to be overcome by other events every time I try to get started. Well, a couple of weeks ago I got finally got started, was hoping to finish this week but the winter storm slowed me down a bit. I'm doing what I can, cut and crimped a bunch of 4/0 cable today in hopes of wiring everything up as soon as weather warms up a little.

I decided to put the batteries, inverter, and associated equipment in the front bay. We chase the weather and try to avoid the cold stuff when possible, not doing a good job of that at the moment. Started with a slight reinforcement of the front bay floor, it seemed strong enough but was a little bouncy. Added some 2 inch x .125 inch aluminum bar to the floor, then added a section of 1/2 inch plywood. The plywood was grooved on the backside so that it locked into the aluminum bars and bolts. It doesn't move/slide a bit. Then made a battery tray out of some 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum angle, placed dense foam matt in the bottom to give the batteries some shock absorption. Added a couple of hold down brackets and a lashing strap to snug everything down.

I didn't trust the front bay "firewall" to hold the weight of the heavy-****** MultiPlus, so had to reinforce with 1/2 plywood and bolted everything so that I shouldn't have any issues. We changed locations right after I did this, everything seemed perfectly in-place after a three hour trip (even through the Birmingham, AL-area potholes on the freeway).

Lots more to do and should be all wrapped-up by mid-March at the latest. I will start the solar project sometime in April or May.

Worked with SOK directly and got a great deal on 2 x 206AH batteries. I think 400AH will be enough, left some room to add one more if we feel its needed but will just need to move the aluminum angle out a bit on the plywood plank.

Pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210123_104228.jpg   20210130_130919.jpg   20210201_143823.jpg   20210205_124843.jpg   20210205_140836.jpg  

Last edited by BubbleGutz; 02-15-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    2020 GD Reflection 303RLS
    2016 Ford F250 FX4 6.7 PSD 3.55 / OEM E-Locker
    BDS 2.5" Radius Arm Leveling Kit
    B&W Turnover Ball/Gooseneck w/Andersen UH
    Titan 50 Gallon Replacement Tank
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5K Ultimate w/ Gen2 Wireless Air

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some sweet battery cases. What is model number on those? Max amp discharge rate and cost? I currently have three Renogy smart 12v battery which will allow me a 300amp max discharge so I should be able to run a 3000 watt inverter safely. Are you bootlegging the output to both legs of the panel or just running one side. I am in the planning stages for my build. Where and how are you running the cable back to your panel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SK12V206 is the model number. One of the reasons I went with SOK is the serviceability. The entire thing is modular, individual cells and BMS can be replaced if needed. I spent a lot of time speaking with SOK directly before making the decision to go with this battery vs others, we will see how it goes. Plus I liked the sizing configuration, 200AH p/battery in a fairly compact design. More info on the battery is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMIs0PXrBw (a review/tear down video).

I won't touch the fuse panel other than disconnecting the OEM converter, unless I need to redistribute/swap something from one leg to the other. I'm on the waiting list for the SPS version 3 and was told I am in the first or second group when they start shipping. I don't mind waiting a couple more months (give or take) and for now will have everything prewired and running single leg until the SPS shows up. The 6/3 wire (to/from MultiPlus) will pass through the front bay along the aluminum bathroom floor joists. The junction box, and eventually the SPS will reside on near where the current OEM converter was placed. Plenty of room to fabricate a small wall to support the junction box/SPS.
    Last edited by BubbleGutz; 02-17-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    2020 GD Reflection 303RLS
    2016 Ford F250 FX4 6.7 PSD 3.55 / OEM E-Locker
    BDS 2.5" Radius Arm Leveling Kit
    B&W Turnover Ball/Gooseneck w/Andersen UH
    Titan 50 Gallon Replacement Tank
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5K Ultimate w/ Gen2 Wireless Air