Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen Water Problem and Solution - Specific to 2670MK

Because of the crazy winter weather event happening in TX I found myself without hot water flowing.

I had only trickled cold water and not the hot too which I think caused the issue but could be wrong.

After reading about low points freezing I added pipe insulation along with a custom made insulated cover.

I didnt want to sit outside yesterday with a hair dryer hoping it would work and just insulated and hoped for the best.

Today still no flow.

I realized I could access the hot water heater from the inside (removed the 2 drawers on right side of desk) and found I could simply put a hair dryer in the hole in the floor leading to the low points and within 10 mins had hot water!

Hopefully this can help someone with the same model or similar layout.

I am also very happy with the build quality of my home and with the support I have received from GD whenever I call them with questions.

I also want to say thanks to everyone on here providing their experience and knowledge. I might not post much but I do read allot!

I cant wait until Sunday when I can wear shorts outside!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is one of the models I am presently interested in, I will post.

I am not sure what risks you are willing to take in order to protect your RV against freezing.

My experience with 4 season campers is a Northern Lite, truck slide in. Supposedly one of the best for 4 season camping and we camped in weather as extreme as -30F.

We found that even 0-20F would cause problems with extended use in those conditions.

I ended up wrapping heat tape, similar to Frost King HC6A 6 Feet Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kits around the pex connections to water pump and up and around the feeds to the sink with the ones mentioned, purchased at home depot, you would need an inverter or generator to keep them going. Perhaps a 12V heat tape exists.

Seems like these campers need to have the belly wripped off and have tank heater pads installed to be able to deal with "real" winter conditions.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips Briand!

I dont EVER plan to be camping in those conditions but if I do its good to know!

For the record - I am indeed wearing shorts and looking at 80 tomorrow!