User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze Prevention Questions/Propane Usage

Our 337 Reflection is currently parked outside. The temperature tonight is expected to be 5 degrees F., and is expected to be below freezing all day for the next 2 days. We are not staying in it right now, but until recently have been travelling in it. It has not been winterized since it will be used again soon. I have shore power connected (but not city water supply) and furnace thermostat set to 38 degrees F. I am curious as to amount of propane usage others have seen. I have two full 30 pound tanks. Anyone know what I should expect? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all I can say is, we use 2x 30 lbs of Propane a week with temps below 32. In both our previous 34' Gulfstream 5th wheel and our current 2021 GD Solitude.

There are so many factors that can affect propane burn rates that it is hard to nail down usage.

If you're gonna fire it up to protect freezing of pipes, I would recommend 60 deg interior temp and that should hold you for over a week at 38 degrees.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    I would recommend 60 deg interior temp and that should hold you for over a week at 38 degrees.
    We set ours at 60 as well when temps hit that range and supplement with ceramic heaters
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    Our 337 Reflection is currently parked outside. The temperature tonight is expected to be 5 degrees F., and is expected to be below freezing all day for the next 2 days. We are not staying in it right now, but until recently have been travelling in it. It has not been winterized since it will be used again soon. I have shore power connected (but not city water supply) and furnace thermostat set to 38 degrees F. I am curious as to amount of propane usage others have seen. I have two full 30 pound tanks. Anyone know what I should expect? Thanks in advance!
    As stated above it is difficult to predict exact usage, lots of variables. I have gone through a 30 pound tank in as little as a day and half; bigger rv, temp set to 68, -22f outside. And I have had a 30 pound tank last 3-4 days.

Given your circumstances I would think the tanks would last at least 5 days, but can't guarantee it. So check at least every other day. Also make sure both tank valves are open. When one tank runs out the switchover valve will change to the full tank and give you a red indication on the valve. When you find that, turn off empty tank valve, switch lever to good tank (the indicator will turn green), go fill.

When you get back hook up the new full tank and the tank valve on. Ready for another round.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750