Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Ultimate Hitch (AUH) Wear Concerns

Hi,
    I removed my AUH today and noticed some unexpected wear on both the Curt gooseneck ball and the Andersen coupler tube. Of the two, the coupler tube is a far bigger concern.

Below is a picture of the coupler tube: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andersen Coupler Tube.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	32148

The coupler bolts have worn about 2/3 of the way through the coupler tube. The indentations from the coupler bolts into the coupler tube are about 0.15" deep and the material for the tube is only 0.22" thick. I am wondering if other users of the AUH have seen this type of wear as well.

The lesser concern, and maybe more of a curiosity, is the wear on the Curt gooseneck ball. Below is a picture of the ball. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curt Ball.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	32149 I am really surprised to see so much wear on the ball due to the way the hitch connects to the ball. The only point that the hitch connects to the ball is through the pin in the coupler tube, which is only at one point on the ball. I would have expected there to just be wear at a few spots on the ball, not all across the surface as shown in the picture. It looks like the coupler pin is wearing the entire surface, which could only happen if the coupler pin is moving up and down and across the ball. I can't see how this can happen, but it definitely is wearing somehow. I am curious if this same wear is seen by other AUH users as well.

I have contacted Andersen about the coupler tube to get their feedback and ordered a new coupler tube as well. I planned to go on my first trip of 2021 on Sunday but those plans may be on hold until I get the new coupler. Any feedback from AUH users on their experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Bob

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve used the Andersen for nearly 9,000 miles and I don’t have any wear on the parts that you do.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We’ve used the Andersen for nearly 9,000 miles and I don’t have any wear on the parts that you do.
    Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to hear it is working well for you. This one really has me stumped right now.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t see any way the pin can move. Tightening the top bolt should cinch it firmly against the ball. You may want to consider using the Andersen Bed Shaft instead of the standard ball.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    Hi,
    I removed my AUH today and noticed some unexpected wear on both the Curt gooseneck ball and the Andersen coupler tube. Of the two, the coupler tube is a far bigger concern.

Below is a picture of the coupler tube: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andersen Coupler Tube.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	32148

The coupler bolts have worn about 2/3 of the way through the coupler tube. The indentations from the coupler bolts into the coupler tube are about 0.15" deep and the material for the tube is only 0.22" thick. I am wondering if other users of the AUH have seen this type of wear as well.

The lesser concern, and maybe more of a curiosity, is the wear on the Curt gooseneck ball. Below is a picture of the ball. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curt Ball.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	32149 I am really surprised to see so much wear on the ball due to the way the hitch connects to the ball. The only point that the hitch connects to the ball is through the pin in the coupler tube, which is only at one point on the ball. I would have expected there to just be wear at a few spots on the ball, not all across the surface as shown in the picture. It looks like the coupler pin is wearing the entire surface, which could only happen if the coupler pin is moving up and down and across the ball. I can't see how this can happen, but it definitely is wearing somehow. I am curious if this same wear is seen by other AUH users as well.

I have contacted Andersen about the coupler tube to get their feedback and ordered a new coupler tube as well. I planned to go on my first trip of 2021 on Sunday but those plans may be on hold until I get the new coupler. Any feedback from AUH users on their experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M (over 44' feet long) vs. 2019 Reflection 303RLS (33' long) -- all on an Anderson hitch -- hardly a good comparison; there are thousands of pounds of weight difference; probably over 1,000 lbs on the hitch alone. I'm reading this thread and trying to find something positive to say. Just be safe.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M (over 44' feet long) vs. 2019 Reflection 303RLS (33' long) -- all on an Anderson hitch -- hardly a good comparison; there are thousands of pounds of weight difference; probably over 1,000 lbs on the hitch alone. I'm reading this thread and trying to find something positive to say. Just be safe.
    I think there is a lot of good to say. The fact he has had no issues is positive regardless of the weight difference and I appreciate his feedback. I am not looking to see if the hitch can handle the weights, I am asking about normal wear and tear from other users who have experience with the hitch. The positive thing to say is it is good to hear from other users.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I can’t see any way the pin can move. Tightening the top bolt should cinch it firmly against the ball. You may want to consider using the Andersen Bed Shaft instead of the standard ball.
    JKWilson, I agree! I have ordered one from a Florida dealer as Andersen says they have a 4-6 week delay right now.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 15k miles on my Andersen towing a 303rls and I don't see this type of wear on my coupler tube nor B&W turnover ball. What do you torque your coupler tube bolts to? I'm curious what Andersen's response will be.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I have about 15k miles on my Andersen towing a 303rls and I don't see this type of wear on my coupler tube nor B&W turnover ball. What do you torque your coupler tube bolts to? I'm curious what Andersen's response will be.
    After seeing your question I checked and I realize now I have been over torquing the coupler tube bolts. I have been going to 60 foot pounds versus the 40 in the spec. I ordered a new coupler tube and will make sure to stay at 40 foot pounds. Hopefully that solves the coupler issue.

I am still completely puzzled by the wear on the gooseneck ball. I am wondering if the dealer put a worn ball in when I bought the hitch. I paid for a new one, but the only way I can see that type of wear happening is if the ball had previously been installed in a different application. I purchased the Andersen Bed Shaft so I won’t know for sure if it wears differently now.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should not the coupler ball be greased? See no evidence of that. I grease my goose necks - coupler and ball before used. Use a split tennis ball during storage.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast