User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    It's not what it can tow but what it can carry - its payload is too low due to soft suspension. We disagree, wouldn't be the first time for either of us. Cheers!
    I was just referring to your comment where you said the truck was to light

Unsure what you mean by soft suspension. I see numerous posts on this site about bags being put in 2500 and 3500 trucks. Quite sure a Nav has a cornucopia of suspension settings

They do have a stout tow package and an engine that produces 510 lb/ft at 3000 rpm. Even more than your truck

To the OP. Get a quality WDH but contact Lincoln about a having weight distribution on that adaptive suspension.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    I am purchasing 2021 Grand Design 2500 RL which has a GVWR of 7495 lbs.
    My 2020 Lincoln Navigator has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 8300.
    The 2500 RL UVW is 5857.

I usually have wife kid and dog in the vehicle which adds 400 lbs plus equipment and food. Not sure how much the equipment and food is but im guessing around 1000 lbs.

Do you think its safe to tow ?

Thanks,
    As you can see by now there's 2 different mentality. Those that dont care for the parameters as long as they feel safe its ok and those that feel safe if their within the towing parameters.
    http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml this calculator should help you. Now the advertised UVW is without lp tank, battery, wdh.... so you'll need to figure that one out. Usually you can add about 1,000 lbs to the UVW this would include food, dishes, clothes, BBQ, chairs.... the average Imagine owner tongue weight weight will be about 12.5 to 13%.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and welcome to the group [emoji3]

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to load carefully. If I read your initial post correctly, you said family plus 1000lbs of gear. If that gear is in the trailer, that will help. What is the tongue weight rating on your Lincoln hitch? Should be written right on it. I know for a lot of F150s it’s 1100lbs.

With the fancy suspension, you will need to research how Lincoln recommends setting up to tow. Again, on the F150 you need a WDH above 5000lbs towing. It may help you to look at an Anderson hitch, since load carrying capacity of the truck is your biggest challenge (with wheelbase the next biggest challenge).

Edit: That’s a 30ft trailer. It’s at the upper end of what a lot of us would even consider with a long bed half ton truck, regardless of weight. Campers have enormous surface areas that you have to control. Since you already have the Navi, it can’t hurt to try and set it up to work for you. It’ll have enough power.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 02-16-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    As you can see by now there's 2 different mentality. Those that dont care for the parameters as long as they feel safe its ok and those that feel safe if their within the towing parameters.
    http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml this calculator should help you. Now the advertised UVW is without lp tank, battery, wdh.... so you'll need to figure that one out. Usually you can add about 1,000 lbs to the UVW this would include food, dishes, clothes, BBQ, chairs.... the average Imagine owner tongue weight weight will be about 12.5 to 13%.

I would love to know where you came up with these 2 different mentality
    I dont see anyone saying they don’t care about parameters Maybe you could highlight that
    I see 3/4 ton people saying no and others saying sure enjoy yourself
    It appears that this trailer will be under the parameters of his Nav but maybe at the top or max as some like to use as a fear term
    Some feel the need to be at an arbitrary number under “max”
    I don’t

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    I am purchasing 2021 Grand Design 2500 RL which has a GVWR of 7495 lbs.
    My 2020 Lincoln Navigator has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 8300.
    The 2500 RL UVW is 5857.

I usually have wife kid and dog in the vehicle which adds 400 lbs plus equipment and food. Not sure how much the equipment and food is but im guessing around 1000 lbs.

Do you think its safe to tow ?

Thanks,
    You are getting answers all over the board. I will still suggest you load your navigator with fuel, family an gear and take it to a CAT scale and get your "real" number of the vehicle weight and compare this to your GVWR. You will then have a real starting point.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    You are getting answers all over the board. I will still suggest you load your navigator with fuel, family an gear and take it to a CAT scale and get your "real" number of the vehicle weight and compare this to your GVWR. You will then have a real starting point.
    I agree

You can add all the do dads you want the payload capacity doesn’t change.you can do all sorts of things to move the weight around. It doesn’t change the payload capacity of the Navigator.

The Lincoln Mercury site says Your Navigator is 1,677 to 1,703 lbs. that’s a fact
    The GD site rates the trailer...that number is a fact

Let’s face it....you can make fun about 2500 / 3500 trucks but look around .
    Figure out by sight how many trailers over 7000 lbs are being pulled by SUV. Very few in what I’ve seen.
    I’ll bet there is a reason.
    Maybe the truckers are all stupid.....maybe they believe the figures their trucks and trailers are rated at.
    Rated by experts not opinion makers on an Internet forum,
    Maybe these truck drivers not only believe in getting by by the skin of their teeth or maybe they see their and others safeties are the primary concern.

I say follow the experts advice ( the ones who make the equipment) not the average joes like me who can make up anything the want on the internet. The equipment makers can be sued if their advice is incorrect. Nothing happens to us advice givers if we are wrong.

Let’s apply the Thomas Paine Common Sense standard
    By all standards the Navigator is a beautiful passenger vehicle. No one uses them to pull heavy construction equipment.
    They do use my 2500 or others trucks however. Certain vehicles are made for certain things. Trucks pull things and can carry people because of their payload capacity and suspensions. They can carry people to. Lincoln Navigators are premier passenger carriers. They both have strong engines BUT one has a definitely different suspension made for CARRYING .
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I was just referring to your comment where you said the truck was to light

Unsure what you mean by soft suspension. I see numerous posts on this site about bags being put in 2500 and 3500 trucks. Quite sure a Nav has a cornucopia of suspension settings

They do have a stout tow package and an engine that produces 510 lb/ft at 3000 rpm. Even more than your truck

To the OP. Get a quality WDH but contact Lincoln about a having weight distribution on that adaptive suspension.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Lincoln suggests a weight distribution hitch in their literature.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    You will have to load carefully. If I read your initial post correctly, you said family plus 1000lbs of gear. If that gear is in the trailer, that will help. What is the tongue weight rating on your Lincoln hitch? Should be written right on it. I know for a lot of F150s it’s 1100lbs.

With the fancy suspension, you will need to research how Lincoln recommends setting up to tow. Again, on the F150 you need a WDH above 5000lbs towing. It may help you to look at an Anderson hitch, since load carrying capacity of the truck is your biggest challenge (with wheelbase the next biggest challenge).

Edit: That’s a 30ft trailer. It’s at the upper end of what a lot of us would even consider with a long bed half ton truck, regardless of weight. Campers have enormous surface areas that you have to control. Since you already have the Navi, it can’t hurt to try and set it up to work for you. It’ll have enough power.
    I was planning of purchasing the Equalizer brand hitch. I heard its supposed to be among the better ones. By price it should be lol

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I agree

You can add all the do dads you want the payload capacity doesn’t change.you can do all sorts of things to move the weight around. It doesn’t change the payload capacity of the Navigator.

The Lincoln Mercury site says Your Navigator is 1,677 to 1,703 lbs. that’s a fact
    The GD site rates the trailer...that number is a fact

Let’s face it....you can make fun about 2500 / 3500 trucks but look around .
    Figure out by sight how many trailers over 7000 lbs are being pulled by SUV. Very few in what I’ve seen.
    I’ll bet there is a reason.
    Maybe the truckers are all stupid.....maybe they believe the figures their trucks and trailers are rated at.
    Rated by experts not opinion makers on an Internet forum,
    Maybe these truck drivers not only believe in getting by by the skin of their teeth or maybe they see their and others safeties are the primary concern.

I say follow the experts advice ( the ones who make the equipment) not the average joes like me who can make up anything the want on the internet. The equipment makers can be sued if their advice is incorrect. Nothing happens to us advice givers if we are wrong.

Let’s apply the Thomas Paine Common Sense standard
    By all standards the Navigator is a beautiful passenger vehicle. No one uses them to pull heavy construction equipment.
    They do use my 2500 or others trucks however. Certain vehicles are made for certain things. Trucks pull things and can carry people because of their payload capacity and suspensions. They can carry people to. Lincoln Navigators are premier passenger carriers. They both have strong engines BUT one has a definitely different suspension made for CARRYING .
    This is why I am posting here. Because I am unsure of things.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast