User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Sticker

This is the actual sticker from my truck. I hid the VIN number for obvious reasons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	navigator_LI.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	32170

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    This is the actual sticker from my truck. I hid the VIN number for obvious reasons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	navigator_LI.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	32170
    The important number is just barely visible, it looks like your payload is 1,4xx lbs.
    Your trailer will be around 900lbs tongue weight. Now you have 500lbs for cargo and passengers.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    The important number is just barely visible, it looks like your payload is 1,4xx lbs.
    Your trailer will be around 900lbs tongue weight. Now you have 500lbs for cargo and passengers.
    I think this (tongue weight) is where the problem will be. The Navi is only rated for 870# tongue, so it's overloaded slightly at 12% of trailer weight. Common consensus seems to be 10% is a minimum, 12% is a good idea, and 15% is a max. It might be hard to keep the tongue weight consistently between 750 (the min) and 870 (the rated max) based on moving stuff in the trailer, filling tanks, etc. This was a big part of why I ended up with a Tahoe instead; the 2021 tongue weight rating for a distributing hitch is now 1250#.

As far as braking, wind sway, etc.. I tow an identical weight and foot-shorter trailer with a similar-sized SUV, albeit I've done less towing overall compared to a lot of people here. IMO it tows really well, is minimally impacted by wind and passing trucks, and stops well. I do keep it lightly loaded, never drive with full tanks, and drive at no more than 55MPH. Panic braking is going to be more a function of contact patch than anything else and the SUVs and 3/4 ton trucks use the same section tire.
    Chris, Tara, our two daughters, and our dog Slate full-timing
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    The payload is 1496 lbs. So I guess according to your calculation it would be 600 lbs. Not a lot for sure

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    I think this (tongue weight) is where the problem will be. The Navi is only rated for 870# tongue, so it's overloaded slightly at 12% of trailer weight. Common consensus seems to be 10% is a minimum, 12% is a good idea, and 15% is a max. It might be hard to keep the tongue weight consistently between 750 (the min) and 870 (the rated max) based on moving stuff in the trailer, filling tanks, etc. This was a big part of why I ended up with a Tahoe instead; the 2021 tongue weight rating for a distributing hitch is now 1250#.

As far as braking, wind sway, etc.. I tow an identical weight and foot-shorter trailer with a similar-sized SUV, albeit I've done less towing overall compared to a lot of people here. IMO it tows really well, is minimally impacted by wind and passing trucks, and stops well. I do keep it lightly loaded, never drive with full tanks, and drive at no more than 55MPH. Panic braking is going to be more a function of contact patch than anything else and the SUVs and 3/4 ton trucks use the same section tire.
    The tongue weight seems to be the problem. Man now I don't know what to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    The tongue weight seems to be the problem. Man now I don't know what to do.
    Load it up for camping and the family and take it to a CAT scale. You will learn not only your actual vehicle weight but also you rear and front axle weights. According to the sticker your available payload is #1400 . I think you will find after visiting the scales, that #1400 number will be even less.

You should be commended for trying to make an informed decision. Some folk will tell you that being a couple hundred pounds over payload may not be a big deal. Being over weight on axle ratings is another animal all together. For me personally, that is not a road I would go down. Good luck with your decision.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Load it up for camping and the family and take it to a CAT scale. You will learn not only your actual vehicle weight but also you rear and front axle weights. According to the sticker your available payload is #1400 . I think you will find after visiting the scales, that #1400 number will be even less.

You should be commended for trying to make an informed decision. Some folk will tell you that being a couple hundred pounds over payload may not be a big deal. Being over weight on axle ratings is another animal all together. For me personally, that is not a road I would go down. Good luck with your decision.
    I agree...good advice and comment
    But now going in you know you are going in close to exceeding the upper limit.

It’s a great people mover.....not a big tower no matter what the dealer says.
    Depends on your usage also......and if you are going in the mountains
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    “Do you think it is safe to tow?”

This question is impossible to answer

The trailer should fit under the specs of the Nav and with a top wdh I personally would have no issue doing it but I have no idea who you are to determine if it is safe. How long of trips are you planning?

I never go over 63mph. If I had a 450 truck I wouldn’t go over 63mph.

One modification I personally would make to the Lincoln is LT tires which will affect its ride all the other times you are not towing

The last thing I noticed you said “I am purchasing”
    Are you looking or have you already bought?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    How long of trips are you planning? That is of NO importance! How short do you want to be able to stop is the question. Doesn't matter if you die 5 miles from home or 5000 miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post

This is my first post but I've been reading them for about 2 months getting ideas for the future. I'm curious where you are getting that #1250 Rating for the Tahoe from. I just bought a 2021 Tahoe with Max Tow package and the sticker inside my door says 820 lbs. Max Tongue weight. Does your your sticker say 1200lbs.? I believe the 820 is with a WDH, otherwise I think the max tongue weight is 500lbs. I bought the Tahoe with the intention on buying a TT in the next couple of years. From reading thru these forums about weights, I believe if I get a TT, assuming a 13% tongue weight, then I should be ok getting a TT with a with max rating of 6250.

While I'm here, I've been wanting to ask this question. I understand keeping the tongue weight between 10%-15% of of the TT weight. I understand the theory that if 10 is min. 15 is max, then 12-13 must be ideal. Does anyone know from experience that 12% does in fact tow any differently then 10%? I'm thinking if there really is no difference, Then I could get away with a TT with a slightly higher max rating,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Lincoln Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by bsteward1957 View Post
    This is my first post but I've been reading them for about 2 months getting ideas for the future. I'm curious where you are getting that #1250 Rating for the Tahoe from. I just bought a 2021 Tahoe with Max Tow package and the sticker inside my door says 820 lbs. Max Tongue weight. Does your your sticker say 1200lbs.? I believe the 820 is with a WDH, otherwise I think the max tongue weight is 500lbs. I bought the Tahoe with the intention on buying a TT in the next couple of years. From reading thru these forums about weights, I believe if I get a TT, assuming a 13% tongue weight, then I should be ok getting a TT with a with max rating of 6250.

While I'm here, I've been wanting to ask this question. I understand keeping the tongue weight between 10%-15% of of the TT weight. I understand the theory that if 10 is min. 15 is max, then 12-13 must be ideal. Does anyone know from experience that 12% does in fact tow any differently then 10%? I'm thinking if there really is no difference, Then I could get away with a TT with a slightly higher max rating,

I wouldn't put my family at that risk, you would be over gross weight, but that is not the real problem try to stop all that weight when you REALLY have to.
    I wouldn't.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast