User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2018 reflection cracked fenders

    Just fyi. customer service responded to my issue regarding cracked fenders by telling me they would review the problem. I had asked them if this was a known issue. They responded after reviewing that it is not a known issue. I suspected that i was not the only one so did a search here and of course found others with same issue. I understand if they don't want to replace them since i am out of warranty but I am trying to determine if i should replace with factory parts. don't want to spend $170 each and have them do the same thing after 3 years. Have had good experience with them in the past but this just looked like an answer taken directly off of a standard response cheat sheet. Wondering if anyone has had the same issue with replacement fenders. I am leaning toward an aftermarket it they are going to fall apart anyway. My son has a used Montana that is about 10 years old and has one tiny crack just showing up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d5dec435-033a-4620-bce1-85323100fd4a.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	32152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77a0d83f-dc1c-40aa-af41-5bf09eeb74d5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	32153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed02ebd-c8b6-4237-8793-3fbe6e2439ac.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	32154

  2. #2
    Big Traveler Calbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schupp11 View Post
    Just fyi. customer service responded to my issue regarding cracked fenders by telling me they would review the problem. I had asked them if this was a known issue. They responded after reviewing that it is not a known issue. I suspected that i was not the only one so did a search here and of course found others with same issue. I understand if they don't want to replace them since i am out of warranty but I am trying to determine if i should replace with factory parts. don't want to spend $170 each and have them do the same thing after 3 years. Have had good experience with them in the past but this just looked like an answer taken directly off of a standard response cheat sheet. Wondering if anyone has had the same issue with replacement fenders. I am leaning toward an aftermarket it they are going to fall apart anyway. My son has a used Montana that is about 10 years old and has one tiny crack just showing up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d5dec435-033a-4620-bce1-85323100fd4a.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	32152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77a0d83f-dc1c-40aa-af41-5bf09eeb74d5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	32153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed02ebd-c8b6-4237-8793-3fbe6e2439ac.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	32154
    Looks to me like they were overtightened during factory installation just by the way the screws seem to indent the plastic of the fender.

    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2018 Reflection 297 RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4
    2009 Toyota Tundra (retired)
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

  3. #3
    Site Team Second Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wherever...
    Posts
    4,673
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't terribly uncommon - and probably from overtightening as stated by @Calbar. This happened on our 2016 Reflection 337. I found it cheaper and more convenient to remove the fenders, repair with a good epoxy, sand, and repaint with paint intended for plastic.

    Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Widowed and very happily remarried
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

  4. #4
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Upland, California
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue. Grand Design sent me two new ones. I have a 2015 337. I think it was 2018 when mine cracked


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Seasoned Camper dryfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this listed as happening frequently. When the "Great Texas Blizzard" is over I'm going to check my 2020 Reflection and loosen, then retighten the screws to a reasonable pressure. I wonder if using a stainless steel fender washer under the screws would distribute the pressure and hopefully prevent cracking.

    I'm like Rob, I'd find a way to repair the GD fender skirts.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    '05 Dodge 2500 CTD

  6. #6
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This isn't terribly uncommon - and probably from overtightening as stated by @Calbar. This happened on our 2016 Reflection 337. I found it cheaper and more convenient to remove the fenders, repair with a good epoxy, sand, and repaint with paint intended for plastic.

    Rob
    What kind of epoxy did you use? My experience with epoxy is that it does not want to stick to some plastics.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

  7. #7
    Site Team Second Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wherever...
    Posts
    4,673
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    What kind of epoxy did you use? My experience with epoxy is that it does not want to adhere well to some plastics.
    It's been a while... I think I might have still had some West Marine epoxy around from my sailboat days. There are probably better adhesives out there for plastics now, too - a body shop might give you better advice than me.

    Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Widowed and very happily remarried
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SW Colorado
    Posts
    1,962
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you get your new ones have them reinforced with cloth. Any good body shop the works with fiberglass will be able to use the right stuff. If it is ABS plastic then I believe the Black ABS cement can be used with any fiberglass cloth (use woven). Its a DIY job - just wear gloves and work outside.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 6.0 Diesel King Ranch dually, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus and Solar

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor JDWHSKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hurricane, UT
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both fender shirts crack on my 2018 315RLTS. I've ordered two new skirts and will use stainless bolts, nuts and lock washers, washers with Loctite. This is the ONLY problem we've had with our GD so I really can't complain since we have put over 8,000 miles on the TT.
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.