User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While doing some research on the cracking issue I discover this product "Easy ABS Repair" by Quarical Products Inc. - you can Google the product and watch the You Tube video.

My thought would be to use the product on the inside of the fender skirt to help strengthen the area so as to prevent future problems.

I'll post my results ..... Don
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWHSKY View Post
    While doing some research on the cracking issue I discover this product "Easy ABS Repair" by Quarical Products Inc. - you can Google the product and watch the You Tube video.

My thought would be to use the product on the inside of the fender skirt to help strengthen the area so as to prevent future problems.

https://easyabsrepair.com/
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are all cracked also, gonna give that ABSrepair kit a try. Thanks for the good info.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gander32 View Post
    After putting 10,000 miles on the trailer, I too have cracked skirts on my 2019 2500RL. I bought two new ones and still have to put them on. When I initially seen they were cracked, I was thinking that the cracks were due to them vibrating as I drive (I can see them fluttering in the rear view mirrors), which I believe is due to a lack of lower panel supports. After reading these posts, I'll have to consider the over-tightening thought that others have mentioned. When I put on the new ones, I'll be sure to tighten the screws/bolts only "as needed" and not torque them down. I'm considering using rubber-backed washers on the outside in order to give a little cushion. I also plan on adding some supports behind the aluminum skirts to damper the vibration that I see going on. That's my plan unless someone in this forum comes up with some more suggestions. Thanks all!
    Attachment 32244
    Brad:

I thought about the rubber-backed washers or just rubber washers but decided against it due to the fact the sun would rot and degenerate the rubber, then I'd be left with a space causing the fender skirt to vibrate even more. Welcome your thoughts.

Don
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try neoprene / EPDM washers. They are synthetic and have great UV resistance. Also use wafer head or truss screws in black as this will provide more surface area at the pressure point. The stock screws act as a wedge against the fender material. When the material loses its elasticity after around 3 years, it's a goner. The neoprene washers and wafer head screws may buy a couple more years but eventually the fenders are simply going to become brittle.
    J & B Sailer
    22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhavasu View Post
    Mine are all cracked also, gonna give that ABSrepair kit a try. Thanks for the good info.
    A cheaper solution to the problem may be JB-Weld PlatisticWeld and a sheet of ABS plastic. Especially for the screw hole areas that get cracked, cut a small piece of ABS and use the bonding adhesive to reinforce.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve repaired similar cracked 25 year old Aircraft Plastic Overlay panels using JBWeld epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I lay up the fiberglass cloth with the epoxy on the BACK SIDE of the panel over the cracks. Worked great.

I’m going to remove my fender panels on my Reflection and lay up some fiberglass cloth with JB weld on the backside of every screw hole to reinforce them.

Epoxy will stick to almost every plastic where Fiberglass resin may not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9395D066-81BD-4773-8394-4E5F4EC07711.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I’ve repaired similar cracked 25 year old Aircraft Plastic Overlay panels using JBWeld epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I lay up the fiberglass cloth with the epoxy on the BACK SIDE of the panel over the cracks. Worked great.

I’m going to remove my fender panels on my Reflection and lay up some fiberglass cloth with JB weld on the backside of every screw hole to reinforce them.

Epoxy will stick to almost every plastic where Fiberglass resin may not.
    Thanks for response. I have bought new fender panels ($$$'s ouch!) so I'm going to switch out the old cracked ones with new ones, but I'm going to try your epoxy fix to the old ones and keep them as backups when the replacements crack. Needless to say, I do expect the fenders to crack again so I'll patch up the originals and use as backups when it happens. I've come to believe that repairs are just part of RV life!
    Brad & Debbie
    2023 Reflection 337RLS
    formerly had 2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2020 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
    looking to upgrade to F350!
    Happily "retired" campers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first crack appeared in my fender yesterday. I’m going to pull both off and do same as Gander 32 and Jerryr have prescribed above. This is an excellent idea. Pretty sure that all fenders will eventually crack at the fastener locations over time but this should buy a few more years. We live at 5K above sea level and the UV literally eats the elasticity of all things plastic and rubber based.
    Thanks to you both for the fix!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWHSKY View Post

My results using the above, having something for a backing between the fender skirt and the TT outside wall makes all the difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0169.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	36356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0434.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	36357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0435.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	36358
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast