User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh, found soft spot in my roof today! How hard is this to repair?

While working with some lap sealant on the roof I found a soft spot today. It’s got to be wood rot. I’d always figured if one had wood rot going on it would be by a penetration in the roof for the AC, vents, antenna etc. This spot is kind of by itself and the wood that surrounds it feels solid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof soft spot.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	20889

Yesterday I snugged up all three air conditioners to the 40-50 inch pound spec and I would guess that the bolts on each of them took 3-4 full turns to get to the required tightness. The roof seems solid between the soft spot and the rear AC but the AC appears to be the closest spot that any water could penetrate. I’ve only ran the rear AC to make sure it worked when I bought it and once again so it wouldn’t sit unused for so long. It doesn’t look like it’s ever been used much at all so not much condensation draining out of it to cause problems.

I bought the 2015 trailer used almost a year ago and when I bought it there were two small tears in the roof, one on the left edge by the ladder and the other on top a little forward of the edge tear. I patched both of those with eternabond and lap sealant. It didn’t seem like any would rot was going on under them so I don’t think they have anything to do with this newly discovered soft spot.

I’ve not researched this repair yet but I’m guessing cut out a section of roof membrane, cut out the rotted plywood and replace, cover opening with an oversized piece of new TPO then seal the whole thing up. It looks to be a good distance between supports under the plywood so I’m open to any suggestions on how to support the replacement plywood. Hopefully once I cut it open it’ll be easier to figure out. We’ve had rain every day lately and it’s not looking better anytime soon.

Hope I can figure out where the moisture that rotted the wood came from. NC had some crazy rain recently and it must have found an opening somewhere.
    Anyone have any experience doing a roof repair like this? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    2015 328M
    2019 F350 SRW 6.7 & B&W slider

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's where Andrew started working on his 317's roof in his Resurrecting a Damaged 317 post.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post149113
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the weight limit for the roof?

I have a 19 2600rb and my 250lb finds soft spots all over. I cannot believe that my roof is rotten, just my diet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post

I have a 19 2600rb and my 250lb finds soft spots all over. I cannot believe that my roof is rotten, just my diet.

I agree. I have many "soft spots" too. I believe my weight and some week spots in the OSB, not rotting.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the areas between the joists. They feel spongy but not rotten. I have those on my 297RSTS as well. Thin roof decking for weight is the cause of this.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    These are the areas between the joists. They feel spongy but not rotten. I have those on my 297RSTS as well. Thin roof decking for weight is the cause of this.

Rob
    That's what I figured. I was just curious if anyone knew of a weight restriction.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I figured. I was just curious if anyone knew of a weight restriction.

I have not seen anything about weight restriction except on the ladder and I think that is 300 lbs if I remember correctly so in my thinking the roof should be good for that but then I have lots of margin on the ladder too.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol sounds good

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the late response. Thanks for all the input. I weigh about 165 and I originally thought exactly what you guys are talking about, flexing between supports. However when I get down on my knees and check it out it is definitely a soft spot that feels like spongy rotten wood, ugh. I've been searching online for a place that sells TPO membrane in smaller sizes to use to cover a repair before I cut the existing roof membrane open. So far everything I see online are large rolls intended to reroof one's trailer. It's odd to me that the surrounding wood feels solid. Maybe water migrated from the rear AC opening and gathered in this one spot somehow, I don't know. I hope I can see where it's coming from when I cut it open. Sure would hate to repair some rotten wood without knowing how it got rotten to begin with.
    2015 328M
    2019 F350 SRW 6.7 & B&W slider

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can just slice it open in such away to allow for regluing and laying it back in place then cover seams with Eterna bond tape.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast