User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 point vs 6 point levelers

I'm looking at a 2021 Solitude S-class 3540gk-r that was built last summer. It has a 4 point leveling system and 16" wheels vs the now standard 6 point leveling system and 17.5" wheels. I'm towing with a RAM 3500 4WD dually.
    I'd like to know if the 4 point system is adequate for this size fifth wheel and if anyone has experience with it on their unit that is this long.
    Do the 17.5" wheels make the fifth wheel ride more level with a 4WD truck than the 16" wheels?
    Thank you for your input.
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat
    2021 Solitude S-class 3540GK-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maldds View Post
    I'm looking at a 2021 Solitude S-class 3540gk-r that was built last summer. It has a 4 point leveling system and 16" wheels vs the now standard 6 point leveling system and 17.5" wheels. I'm towing with a RAM 3500 4WD dually.
    I'd like to know if the 4 point system is adequate for this size fifth wheel and if anyone has experience with it on their unit that is this long.
    Do the 17.5" wheels make the fifth wheel ride more level with a 4WD truck than the 16" wheels?
    Thank you for your input.
    Interesting. All the 3540s I have looked at on line (and a few in person) have had the 6 point system. The similar model 2930 has a 4 point system as the only Solitude that I am aware of with a 4 point. Would be great to see pictures, the MSRP, or even checking the VIN with GDRV Customer Service to learn more.

Larger or smaller wheels/tire sizes do not necessarily mean a large or smaller circumference/diameter/tire height. One needs to look at the total tire sizing (aspect, width, rim size) and then look at the manufacturer specs to determine for sure. There are charts on the net where you can input the tire sizing/wheel size to get a good idea of the circumference/diameter if any. I'm glad you brought this up.....hopefully someone has done the homework on these two rim/tire sizes and can share that.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Interesting. All the 3540s I have looked at on line (and a few in person) have had the 6 point system. The similar model 2930 has a 4 point system as the only Solitude that I am aware of with a 4 point. Would be great to see pictures, the MSRP, or even checking the VIN with GDRV Customer Service to learn more.

Larger or smaller wheels/tire sizes do not necessarily mean a large or smaller circumference/diameter/tire height. One needs to look at the total tire sizing (aspect, width, rim size) and then look at the manufacturer specs to determine for sure. There are charts on the net where you can input the tire sizing/wheel size to get a good idea of the circumference/diameter if any. I'm glad you brought this up.....hopefully someone has done the homework on these two rim/tire sizes and can share that.

Dan
    Apparently they used the 4 point leveling system until the fall of 2020 and then switched to the 6 point. The 3540 I'm looking at was built Aug. 2020. It is new and I'm not sure if the reason it hasn't been bought yet is because of the leveling system. I'm trying to find out if this system is under rated for the long of an rv.
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently they used the 4 point leveling system until the fall of 2020 and then switched to the 6 point. The 3540 I'm looking at was built Aug. 2020. It is new and I'm not sure if the reason it hasn't been bought yet is because of the leveling system. I'm trying to find out if this system is under rated for the long of an rv.
    Hmm ? Here's one built on June, 2020 and it has the 6 point as with every one I have seen. Which dealer is the one you are looking at ? Please share the dealer link to the RV if you can or post some pictures of that RV leveling system (jacks/electronic control pane/MSRP.)

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...0GK-5012530299

Not doubting what you are saying but something seems "out of body" with that RV.

Steve @huntr70 - what can you share about 4 point leveling on a 3540 ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm ? Here's one built on June, 2020 and it has the 6 point as with every one I have seen. Which dealer is the one you are looking at ? Please share the dealer link to the RV if you can or post some pictures of that RV leveling system (jacks/electronic control pane/MSRP.)

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...0GK-5012530299

Not doubting what you are saying but something seems "out of body" with that RV.

Steve @huntr70 - what can you share about 4 point leveling on a 3540 ?

Dan
    Here's a link to the page.
    https://www.coachlightrv.com/rv/2021...-R-Fifth-Wheel
    Sorry this didn't copy so you can just click on the link.
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to the page.
    https://www.coachlightrv.com/rv/2021...-R-Fifth-Wheel
    Sorry this didn't copy so you can just click on the link.
    Wow - Kim and Mark......this is the first from what I have seen. It does have the new upgraded interior as well. I would tend to be a little sceptical of the 4 point system even though the 3540 is not much heavier than the 2930 with the 4 point. I have nothing factual to base this on since I do not know the capacities of either of the leveling systems.

Hopefully, Steve will chime in and share what he knows on this.

Thanks, much for sharing the link.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at this rig in person? There are Mid ship leveling jacks just in front of the front axle. I would think there would need to be leveling jacks behind the axle also. That would make this with 6 jacks
    Pat & Karen Maryland
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
    Nothing like having a 2 bedroom 1 bath 5th wheel mobile apartment.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - Kim and Mark......this is the first from what I have seen. It does have the new upgraded interior as well. I would tend to be a little sceptical of the 4 point system even though the 3540 is not much heavier than the 2930 with the 4 point. I have nothing factual to base this on since I do not know the capacities of either of the leveling systems.

Hopefully, Steve will chime in and share what he knows on this.

Thanks, much for sharing the link.

Dan
    I asked the dealer to send me pictures of the leveling system to verify what he told me. I also contacted Lippert to see what their take is on this. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Hopefully the invoice on the website is incorrect and it does have the six point.
    Thanks for your help and interest.
    Mark
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat and Karen View Post
    Have you looked at this rig in person? There are Mid ship leveling jacks just in front of the front axle. I would think there would need to be leveling jacks behind the axle also. That would make this with 6 jacks
    No, I have not seen the rv in person. It is in a different state. I have asked the dealer to send pictures of the jack setup.
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope so too. I think they are electric jacks and not the hydraulic like the Regular Solitude line. If it is fact a four jack system, I would look elsewhere. We just bout a 378MBS Solitude with 6 point hydraulic leveling and it still moves some in the rear of the rig. I can only imagine how much that one would move around with only 4 jacks. Gook luck on your quest.
    Pat & Karen Maryland
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
    Nothing like having a 2 bedroom 1 bath 5th wheel mobile apartment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast