Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need a slider hitch?

Hi all, First post concerning the 2021 337RLS we purchased today. I am looking for a clear answer on the hitch required to tow this trailer with a Chevy Silverado with a 6 foot 6 inch bed. I do not want a slider or a Turning Point hitch if I can avoid it. Two answers from the dealer, one from GD. Now I want an answer from someone who has this setup. I lean toward the BW Patriot 18K rail mounted hitch.
    Thanks, Tapley
    Last edited by Tapley; 02-16-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed our Reflection 337 for about 13,000 miles with a GMC 6'6" bed and no slider (Andersen Ultimate) - did fine. I could turn to about 80 degrees before getting nervous. The front caps of the new fifth wheels are designed well, but a lot depends on whether your hitch puts the pin slightly in front of (fairly common), directly over, or slightly behind the rear axle.

Rob

PS: loaded, our 337 consistently put 3,000 lbs. on the pin...
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
    Hi all, First post concerning the 2021 337RLS we purchased today. I am looking for a clear answer on the hitch required to tow this trailer with a Chevy Silverado with a 6 foot 6 inch bed. I do not want a slider or a Turning Point hitch if I can avoid it. Two answers from the dealer, one from GD. Now I want an answer from someone who has this setup. I lean toward the BW Patriot 18K rail mounted hitch.
    Thanks, Tapley
    I’m confused, the title of your post is “Do I need a slider hitch” and then in the body of your post you state “I do not want a slider”. Sounds like you’ve answered your own question.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for confusing you, to clarify. I don't want a slider but I may need one...question is do I. All clear now?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for confusing you, to clarify. I don't want a slider but I may need one...question is do I. All clear now?
    Do you NEED a slider? Of course not, thousands tow without one with no problems. Do you WANT a slider? Possibly, for piece of mind. I love my Pullrite, never have to worry about the trailer contacting the truck under any circumstances. Some day you’ll find yourself in cramped quarters and you’ll be glad you have it, I know I have.
    Last edited by Bungy; 02-16-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I just don't want all the moving parts of a slider or perhaps worse a Turning Point hitch. However if there is a great possibility of doing damage to the front corners of the trailer or the truck cab I am going to seriously consider one of them. I towed a Titanium trailer for years which had a 5 foot "nose" in front of the pin but I did have an 8 foot box. I think it was theoretically possible to knock out the back window if you "jackknifed" the trailer coming down a rise on to a flat and all at an angle, fuel stops would be a good example.
    I'll see what the installers have to say about behind the axle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tapley
    I have a similar setup with a 303 with a short bed Silverado and a Pullrite Superglide. Most talk about backing up and having to jacknife into a spot where, yes, you will need a slider. The situation I have been in required a sharp, nearly 90 degree turn into a driveway with quite a dip. Without the Superglide, I would either have run the cap into the cab, or been out in the road unlocking and extending my manual sliding hitch, in the rain, with a line of cars behind that may or may not have had infinite patience. In fact, when I come and go camping from my home, I have to make a U-turn in the culdesac at the end of my street. All of that said, I have never had to worry about any trailer/truck contact with Superglide, and a little wiping of the rails with a rag and then a spray of WD40 each trip is all that is needed. I have adjusted the center point bolt twice in 3 years. The capture plate has been removed twice for service and not needed any tightening in between. It is simply piece of mind and no hassles whatsoever. In our travels, we have spoken with many who have the Superglide and no one has been disappointed or would consider anything else. If you have a short bed, you need it, or one of the alternatives, or a lot of patience, or a lot of money to fix stuff...it only takes once.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tapley
    You can see my setup in my signature. I don't use a slider and have no problems getting around with a short bed. Cheers!
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tapley
    @Tapley, Short story. Early fall 2006 with my 2005 F250 Superduty CC SB with 16k fixed Reese 5th wheel hitch towing my brandy new 2006 Alpenlite Voyager 34RL on maiden voyage to Paradise Shores RV in Bridgeport CA for fishing trip. Arrival time is 2130 and pitch black. Very tight back in at night without street lighting and beloved wife giving what assistance she could. Result, football sized dent in my right rear cab and gently crushed corner of my new 5th wheel. Wanna now what my next purchase was?? Yep, Superglide hitch. Never had to worry again. Don't ever think there wont come a time when you wont be forced into making a 90 degree turn pulling or backing your 5th wheel to get into or around something. As others have said it just comes down to your comfort level. Me? I positively know I don't have to worry about messing up my truck or RV again. Safe travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reese Titan 16 slider and never ever used it.........yet. Someday I will be jumping for joy that I bought it. Last year my friend had to have his wife hold up the tail gate a bit to hook up on an angle......he wishes he had one.
    They look cool too!!
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast