User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawer and Cabinet Latches

Still in research part of RV shopping, and GD is still highest on the list, but I know that most RV Cabinets and Drawers are far from actually containing their contents during travel.

My travel will be on bumpy roads and from previous campers, things are bound to open and spill contents.

What have you all done?

I am considering adding something like this on every cabinet and drawer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Encell-Set-...-/133646955305

Looks to be all metal and installable on any drawer/cabinet.

Comments?

Brian

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briand View Post
    Still in research part of RV shopping, and GD is still highest on the list, but I know that most RV Cabinets and Drawers are far from actually containing their contents during travel.

I bought some "grabber" catches from a Newmar dealer. They are used on Newmar coaches and have a reputation for being very secure in them. I believe they originated in the boating world where the challenge of keeping cabinetry closed is even greater. They are like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Catch...s%2C173&sr=8-2

However after trying one my wife deemed it was too strong - took too much effort to open the drawer.

So we reverted to taping drawers and cabinets with long strips of 2" masking tape before travel. Takes only couple of minutes to tape up and a couple more to remove tape when we arrive and it has almost always held. Not ideal, but it's an idea.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briand View Post

My travel will be on bumpy roads and from previous campers, things are bound to open and spill contents.

What have you all done?

I am considering adding something like this on every cabinet and drawer.

Looks to be all metal and installable on any drawer/cabinet.

Comments?

Brian
    We've traveled in our RV for almost 4 years now. Including travel in Canada & Alaska (where the roads are not particularly smooth). We've not added anything to the drawers or doors to keep them closed. And have had nothing fall out of them, or come open during travel.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We've traveled in our RV for almost 4 years now. Including travel in Canada & Alaska (where the roads are not particularly smooth). We've not added anything to the drawers or doors to keep them closed. And have had nothing fall out of them, or come open during travel.
    If the are merely pistons up top, they will fail with time and use.

The little clinch rollers thingies that pinch an insert between two rollers is a no go on first trip for me. I tend to get pretty tippy on the way to my destinations. ;-) That means that potentially the entire contents of the cabinet or drawer are pushing on the door.

I will need a positive locking mechanism for sure. Even the 10lb pull mentioned above will become 5 lb pull after numerous pulls.

I used industrial hook and loop on my first rig and it worked well, ugly but worked. What I use will also depend on door style as well.

Something with a frame and panel insert design is more difficult to get a locking mechanism on so I really want a flat door front.

Not sure what comes on drawers and cabinets on GD, they do not advertise this feature, so I assume that they are mediocre.

Anything that pushes shut and pulls open with some force is doing to give at some point, either to overcoming it's needed force or failure. Thus the push button idea.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ This^^^ We have used expansion rods in the cabinets to prevent some heavier items from direct contact with the cabinet doors but to date we have had no issues
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    ^^^ This^^^ We have used expansion rods in the cabinets to prevent some heavier items from direct contact with the cabinet doors but to date we have had no issues
    I have expansion rods in the fridge to hold things in place. Most of the time they work. Sometimes, not.

The only closure we've had to modify was the tiny hook closure on the push open/close front above the fireplace (where the radio is). We found out early on that the tiny, little hook vibrated open during travel. We cover it with blue tape now to hold it in position.

But all the other drawers and cabinet doors remain stubbornly in place.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have expansion rods in the fridge to hold things in place. Most of the time they work. Sometimes, not.

The only closure we've had to modify was the tiny hook closure on the push open/close front above the fireplace (where the radio is). We found out early on that the tiny, little hook vibrated open during travel. We cover it with blue tape now to hold it in position.

But all the other drawers and cabinet doors remain stubbornly in place.
    What latch is on a drawer? Cabinet?

Expansion rods make sense, but again, my use case is very far from a dirt side road. My truck and trailer will see a lot of use. 3" lift and hd springs will be part of the build. Until I see a GD latch in person I have little hope and the little pistons up top wont cut it. Been there done that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had to add a cam lock on the kitchen pot/pan drawer, it opened a few times and caused some damage.. most likely due to the weight of the contents. The lock keeps it in place.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have had no problems with the drawers & cabinets. On the other hand, trim pieces & valances I have found on the floor after a drive on not so nice Oregon coast roads.
    Don't know what type of trailer your looking at to off road, but in addition to your drawer catches, bring along a staple gun and glue.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azink007: what is the cam lock you use to keep the pot and pan draw closed? I have the same problem.
    Glenn & Cathy
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2007 Toyota Tundra
    2018 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast