User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that once you get "too long" you'll limit your options at Federal and State campgrounds. Most are limited to 36' that I've visited in the last 40 years.
    Now if those campgrounds are not something you intend to visit, then go big or go home!
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene L View Post
    Hi everyone. My wife and I have been Grand Design owners, Imagine 2150RB, for about three years now. We really like the quality, service, and are seriously considering making the transition to a much larger camper as we near retirement in about 3 years. We really like the floor plan of the Solitude 390rk, although haven't walked through one yet; we hope to do that soon. I have two questions.

1) I'm a bit nervous about making the transition from a TT that is just under 28 feet to a 5th wheel that is just over 41 feet. Those of you that made the jump from a relatively small TT to a large 5th wheel, how did you go about doing it. It's not like taking a test drive with a class A or C when you can get it on the road and decide if you can/can't handle it. I'm looking at investing in a larger TV and camper, which is quite an investment to make without knowing for sure that I'm ready for the jump.

2) now for my second question. After doing my research, I believe I'll need a DRW for a trailer this size. I was at a sport show this past weekend. There were no Grand Design's there but I did see an Alliance Paradigm that was close to size/weight so I had a lengthly conversation with the sales person about the appropriate TV for the Paradigm. He was adamant that a DRW TV wasn't needed and specifically said that DRW's are hard on campers because the ride is so stiff, there is no forgiveness in the suspension, and that campers will start to develop stress fractures/cracks in some key areas as a result. I asked if this was specific to the Paradigm and he said no, any brand will have that issue. Those of you that have larger campers and DRW TV's have you experienced damage to your camper as a result of having a DRW TV?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

FWIW my wife is very impressed with the Paradigm, the storage space, design/colors, no carpet not to mention a few other things she saw. I reminded her that it's only the second year they've made campers so it's difficult to tell how they'll hold up.
    We moved from a Travel Trailer towed with a Ford E250 Van to our new rig a 310-GK towed with a Ford F350 Diesel Dually using the Reese GooseBox. I will tell you this rig rides very smoothly down the highway, so much so, that often we don't even feel the 5th wheel behind us.

Here is some of the criteria we used when selecting our truck: First, I rounded the 5th Wheel weight up to 20,000 lbs from 16,000. I did this to ensure we had enough truck under the rig to safely tow it and to allow for the possibility to get a larger rig if we ever needed to.

Next, I never considered a short bed truck, there was no need to, I'm buying a truck, not a sports car. If I have to park the truck far out in the parking lot and walk a few extra steps, so be it. There are very few places I have not been able to get my truck into.

We never considered moving up to the F450, I don't like that they require commercial tires, commercial tires ride hard and they perform like you are driving on snot in the rain (because the rubber compound is so hard [to extend tire duration]).

My wife and I are both tall and we both found that getting into the Single Rear Wheel trucks to be difficult because they all had 20 inch (+) tires which raised the truck high off the ground. Surprisingly, the Dually uses 17 inch Michelin tires which ride smoother and are cheaper to replace than any of the 20 inch or commercial tires found on the SWR or F450 trucks.

A couple of other features we really like on our truck is the Factory "Puck" system in the bed and the Factory (spray in) bed liner. I also LOVE, LOVE the mirrors on the Ford trucks, I test drove the Ram and the Dually fenders kept me from seeing the road behind me clearly (plus the fold down tow mirrors seemed stupid to me).

As far as towing the 5th Wheel versus the Travel Trailer don't be too concerned, because the 5th Wheel mounts above the axle the trailer won't be much longer (if any) than you are used to pulling (you don't have a 3 foot tongue to worry about and the 5th Wheel mounts 5 feet closer to the truck). Towing our 5th Wheel is very smooth (did i mention how much we LOVE, LOVE the GooseBox) and stable.

If you are ordering your rig, I would suggest upgrading to the 8k axle and Disc Brakes (I also hear the double pane windows are nice to have). We added the disc breaks to our rig and I am very glad we did, I had a "full on" emergency highway stop and I swear I couldn't have stopped any quicker with the truck alone.

As far as maneuvering the 5th Wheel into campsites, I think it is easier with the 5th Wheel vs the TT. You do have to plan better where the truck is going, and you have to make bigger moves, but it is an easy skill to pick up.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has been great responding to my questions and offering advice. I've been researching TV's, I'm a Ford guy myself, and see 3.55 and 4.10 axles. I don't understand the difference with these numbers, I know it has to do with gear ratio an all, but for balancing tow ability and fuel mileage is there a preference?

René

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has been great responding to my questions and offering advice. I've been researching TV's, I'm a Ford guy myself, and see 3.55 and 4.10 axles. I don't understand the difference with these numbers, I know it has to do with gear ratio an all, but for balancing tow ability and fuel mileage is there a preference?

René
    The easiest way to understand the effect of those gears is to remember back when we were kids riding bikes. The 4:10 gears equate to riding your bike in first gear, easy to pedal but can't go as fast. The 3:55 gears would equate to starting to pedal in 3rd or 4th gear, harder to get moving at first put can go faster speed wise. You will not see much mileage difference between the two but if you have a heavier trailer the 4:10's will make it much easier to get moving and climb hills.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Thank you for the guidance.

René

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

René
    We went with the 3:55 gear ratio and have no problems pulling our 16k 5th Wheel. We even towed in the NM mountains and never bogged down or had a problem with the transmission searching for a gear going up hill.

PS: One of the big reasons we went with the F350 was that the engine was so responsive, the Dodge was just a dog compared to the Ford 6.7.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rene L....I have a trailer that has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs, which is 3200 lbs heavier on the GVWR and I tow it with a F350 Crewcab, 4x4 Dually Diesel. The truck has the "older" 6 speed transmission and 3:73 gearing in the rear end and it does just fine. If I'm not mistaken, Ford doesn't even offer that one anymore as the new 10 speed matched with the higher HP and Torque numbers on the later model 6.7 diesel does just fine with the 3:55 rear end. YMMV, but I'm well pleased with my entire setup.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123