Thread: 349M noob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

349M noob

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2021 349M. Been camping for years with old trailer but this one is a beast. I have a few questions...

1) The Nautilus system has two unmarked tank valves and one unmarked valve in the rear near the tire. Which ones are black and grey? (All handles are black and I only have one bathroom)

2) When running on generator, opening and closing slides cause a "slide fault" while using the app or the touch pad. The slides will stop 3-4 times during operation. Is this normal? (Haven't tried on shore power yet)

3) My wardrobe slide works perfectly however, the main slides open from the bottom first then top. While opening the slides the bottom will open about 5-6 inches before the top opens. Is this normal? (They do open and close fully… it's just that odd start)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. I cannot be 349M specific as I have a 376. So I will answer your question in a general way. First question is what type of slides are they, Schwintek or hydraulic?

1. My RV did not have labels on the 3 tank handles. Even my RV dealer could not tell me which handle did what. He told me just pull all three at the same time it will be fine. I didn't fuss about the answer, though it wasn't very fulfilling I was experienced enough to know that they were right, to a degree. After a few days of camping I did an experiment. I have a clear plastic flush device on my sewer hose. Knowing the tank where pretty full I pulled each handle individually and watched what came out. Black water is pretty obvious. Ok, labeled the blank water tank handle. Pulled the next one, clear water, ok, that's the shower. Pulled the next one, not really black water but not clear either, kitchen.

2. Are they Schwintek slides or hydraulic slides. Schwintek slides are notorious for having a weak auto-reset breaker in line, 50amp. Many have had to change these out for 80 amp breakers. In the search bar above you can search for slide breakers and get lots of posts on the subject.

If there is something causing the slide to "drag" the motors will get out of sync and stop. If they are Schwintek you can find the controller (typically in the front bay), there will be LED lights flashing, there is a little chart on the controller that tells you what the LED light flashing code means.

3. Hydraulic slides push/pull from the bottom. As a result they will have some "lean" to them when they start moving. However 5-6 inches is a lot. I would have that back to the dealer to get inspected (if possible).
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I would do a similar test with the tanks as well ... Shame they aren't labeled in any way.

The slides are hydraulic. The fridge slide moves out first and moves out about 5 inches before the top moves out. The couch slide moves about 2-3 inches before the top moves.

I was reading on here that I need to test with shore power to see if I might be using too many amps to cause a "slide fault". I will be getting a 50amp installed at the house so when that happens I can test then.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
    The fridge slide moves out first and moves out about 5 inches before the top moves out. The couch slide moves about 2-3 inches before the top moves.
    Labeling would have been nice, but you learn to roll with what you got.

2-3 inches sounds normal, 5 inches sounds like a lot to me. I would be inspecting the entire mechanism for drag point, rub point, anything that causes it to hang up. Even improperly mounted slide seals will cause some excessive drag. Also check out all the mounting screws around the edges of the slide to see if any are sticking out.

I guess it could be normal for your unit, I have not seen a 5" lag ever. Hopefully others will pipe in here, maybe it is normal for a 349M....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new 349M, too. 2021

The slides can stop on a fault if the hydraulic fluid is too cold and makes the pressure motor trip. It's not a big deal, just wait a few seconds and go again.

I see the same tilting of the slides on the way out. My old 5th wheel did the same thing with the rack & pinion slide.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it sticks.

The bedroom slide is it's own Schwintek slide. The refrigerator & couch slides are on the same hydraulic circuit so they go out kind of unevenly until they're all the way out.

I've been going all over my 349M and making quite a few mods for camping, bikes, work, etc. I can describe what I've found out and done if you're interested.
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info... And yes I love mods. I'll be doing plenty myself too.