Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water leak from hot water heater

Woke up this morning to a puddle of water in the bedroom. After removing the drawers and gain access to the water tank, I noticed water dripping significantly from the top of the water tank, hot water out connection. I shut the water heater off and also the outside water source, drained what was in the coach lines and proceeded to explore. I removed the twist off hot water hose from the plastic connector on the top of the water heater because that is where the water was coming from. However, i can not remove the plastic connector that is inside the water heater. Looks like it might need to be sealed better? At least that is what I am hoping for. Does anyone know the best way to remove this piece?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abndrillsgt - Can you post a picture of your water heater and provide the model of your GDRV trailer? This will help others to help you.
    See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-vs-Pex/page2? for some related ideas.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5514C5B1-EAAD-4B87-8DE6-DD8215EFD464.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	12425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09E816C4-778F-489F-A22A-118728520D5F.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	12426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09E816C4-778F-489F-A22A-118728520D5F.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	12426 I hope I attached the photos correctly. My Trailer is a GD Reflection 315 RLTS. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be leaking around the threads on the fitting you removed. Maybe a little Teflon tape will fix it.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abndrillsgt - The piece threaded into the water heater port looks like it might be a check valve.

Interesting timing . . . I just started this other thread about how my 2015 Reflection with a Kantleak brand water system does not seem to have a check valve in this location.https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...er-Check-Valve If your Reflection has the later Nautilus water system . . . this may be the check valve that others have had problems with. Maybe someone on here with a Nautilus system can confirm ?

If this is indeed a part threaded into the water heater (kind of difficult to see for sure in your picture) it looks like it has to come out with a pipe wrench.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    It may be leaking around the threads on the fitting you removed. Maybe a little Teflon tape will fix it.

Bob
    The removed female black plastic connector is a compression fitting that seals with a thick rubber seal pressed agains the end of the male pipe thread. This rubber ring could be torn or nicked. Teflon tape on the threads will not (usually) fix a leak on a fitting like this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The removed female black plastic connector is a compression fitting that seals with a thick rubber seal pressed agains the end of the male pipe thread. This rubber ring could be torn or nicked. Teflon tape on the threads will not (usually) fix a leak on a fitting like this.

Rob
    I didn’t notice when I first looked at the picture. I actually carry a few of these fittings with me for this reason. Had a leak last year. New fitting and I was good to go.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On mine the part going into the water heater is just a short nipple, not a check valve. I see a couple potential issues that Rob has mentioned numerous times over the years - plastic pex fitting with soft rubber hose "secured" with a pex pinch clamp. Put that on the hot side of a water heater and IMO, it's a problem.

If you are not sure which joint is leaking and can get the parts without seriously interrupting your trip, you may want to use new joint compound on the nipple into the tank, replace the plastic 90 degree fitting with a brass fitting that has barbs for the soft hose vs pex, and secure the hose with a small hose clamp instead of a pex pinch clamp. Typically finding the brass fitting with barbs is difficult for me, so I will add a 2" section of pex, then put in a PEX x PB Brass Barb transition fitting. I realize if you are traveling it may be difficult to do this.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abndrillsgt View Post
    Woke up this morning to a puddle of water in the bedroom. After removing the drawers and gain access to the water tank, I noticed water dripping significantly from the top of the water tank, hot water out connection. I shut the water heater off and also the outside water source, drained what was in the coach lines and proceeded to explore. I removed the twist off hot water hose from the plastic connector on the top of the water heater because that is where the water was coming from. However, i can not remove the plastic connector that is inside the water heater. Looks like it might need to be sealed better? At least that is what I am hoping for. Does anyone know the best way to remove this piece?
    How in the heck do you remove these drawers easily? I have a 287RLTS and the bedroom drawers hide the water heater. I can’t get the drawers out for nothing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abndrillsgt View Post
    If you have the Nautilus system with a winterize setting, that top fitting is a check valve. Its purpose is to prevent back filling the HW tank with antifreeze when winterizing.
    That check valve is typically a very cheap plastic part and can start leaking either around the threads or they tend to crack quite easily. I had the same issue last fall and found the way the check valve was made caused the problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5573.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	32204
    Notice the flat sides and molded in dimples.
    Valterra makes a replacement brass check valve that works well.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-P2341...3750357&sr=8-1
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast