Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram hd ttpms

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram hd ttpms

For you newer RAM HD owners....we just ordered a new S class last week so need a new horse to pull it. With lack of available dealer stock we are looking at a factory order to get what we want. Question is how many of you are running the RAM factory trailer tire pressure monitoring system? Do you like it over after market systems? We currently have the TST cap sensors and like it. I enjoy being able to turn it on before starting the truck and the ability to see the temperatures as well. Both of these likes don't appear as features with the factory system. The dealer said the sensors "sleep" until movement is detected and no temperature gauge like the TST. It's not a lot of money considering the cost of a new truck but if I'm going to stick with the TST why pay for it when I'm not going to use it. Another cost is installing the sensors. The S class we looked at the dealer had brass valve stems, so basically no cost to spin on the TST sensors and we are down the road.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, Your trailer will come with a TPMS already. The Lippert Tire-Linc system
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    FYI, Your trailer will come with a TPMS already. The Lippert Tire-Linc system
    I was unaware of that. Dealer did not mention it. Thank you!
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it does come with it. However it is a silly system since you need to have the little monitor alarm in the vehicle with you. Then when it goes off, check the app on your phone. If grand design would integrate actual TPMS sensors into the trailer tires then you could utilize the system that is already included with your truck. And this relieve yourself from having to use an inferior redundant system.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked into the RAM TTPSM system which wasn't in stock when my truck was built. It requires new sensor/valve stems in the trailer tires which the RAM dealer wouldn't install. I've also seen some threads on the HDRAMS and Cummins forums that question whether the new stems will fit a given trailer manufacturer's factory stem diameter and are prone to dropouts. Good PDFs in the following threads. There was also a thread (last one) that said any 433Mhz sensors will work.

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?t...problems.4032/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...ttpms.2521497/

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...#post-29176491
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sensors from the factory TTPSM will work Ram should provide you with 4. Much better to have them on the cluster than the Lippert phone app. The Lippert alarm module is oversensitive and prone to false alerts, but there is value to an audible alert. Those are the trade-offs. Good Luck!
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    The sensors from the factory TTPSM will work Ram should provide you with 4. Much better to have them on the cluster than the Lippert phone app. The Lippert alarm module is oversensitive and prone to false alerts, but there is value to an audible alert. Those are the trade-offs. Good Luck!
    In 2020, you had to order the TTPMS package. When the dealer told me the price, I said no thanks - about $1200. No sensors in my truck that I can find and TTPMS is not on the sticker nor is there an option in Uconnect. Sensors are about $80 each if the truck has the repeater behind the license plate.

Side question. Do you have Blind Spot Monitoring? I get two options when I hook up a trailer, conventional or gooseneck. If I choose gooseneck, BSM is disabled.
    Thanks
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was a demo so it was in the truck and there were 4 sensors in a bag unopened. I have a bumper pull so I never tried the gooseneck option. I can let you know when I pull out Wednesday, you have me curious.
    Ex-Nihilo
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just pulled up the RAM HD forum:

jsalbre said:
    As sort of mentioned above, trailer blind spot monitoring is a 2020 only feature, and only supports conventional trailers. If you select “Goose/Fifth Wheel” it disables it.
    Yup...

Nick
    Nick
    JoinedMar 14, 2020
    Messages291
    Reaction score180
    May 22, 2020
    I wonder if you push conventional if it willl work . What is the point of having an option list if it only does a standard trailer ?
    jsalbre
    jsalbre
    JoinedOct 29, 2019
    Messages470
    Reaction score351
    LocationTraveling
    May 22, 2020
    Nick said:
    I wonder if you push conventional if it willl work . What is the point of having an option list if it only does a standard trailer ?
    The point of the option is specifically to disable it when you’re pulling a gooseneck or fifth wheel.

Those trailers sit too close to the sensors in the taillights, so at best it won’t warn you that there’s a vehicle in your blind spot, at worst it’ll continuously give a false warning.
    Like Reactions: Nick and Brutal_HO

Regards,
    Ex-Nihilo
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 Ram 3500 pulls a 5th wheel and I select conventional trailer. Most of the time the system correctly recognizes the length at 30 ft (its a 34 ft unit front to back) and works flawlessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast