User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What truck is best?

So I am new to the whole rv/ fifth wheel life, I am currently selling my home and staying in a friend's travel trailer until it sells and then buying a solitude 390rk. I have been researching this for 2 years now, but still I am not sure what truck is the better option for the fifth wheel I want. I'm leaning towards a silverado 3500hd high country diesel dually, but thought that it would be good to get others opinions

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is the best for me. Hard to say about you. Lots and lots of variables. Daily driver? What size trailer? Want to park it inside? Worried about clearances? Uses other than as a tow vehicle?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to move this to the "Tow Vehicle" section since it sounds like you've made a decision on the trailer and are only interested in Truck choice....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lskinner11 View Post
    So I am new to the whole rv/ fifth wheel life, I am currently selling my home and staying in a friend's travel trailer until it sells and then buying a solitude 390rk. I have been researching this for 2 years now, but still I am not sure what truck is the better option for the fifth wheel I want. I'm leaning towards a silverado 3500hd high country diesel dually, but thought that it would be good to get others opinions
    That’s like asking which is best Ford or Chevy.
    You’ll likely get lots of opinions on it.
    Only you can decide which truck is best for you.
    Since you already have the trailer picked out, you can use the trailer weights to help narrow down the truck’s specifications.
    Don’t rely on the salesman, they’ll tell you anything to sell.
    Use the specifications on the driver door jamb sticker.
    Rich

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a 350/3500 dually diesel is the smallest truck you would want for this camper. All of the big three are decent trucks. Have you ever driven a truck this big? How much towing experience do you have? This will be a big combination going down the highway!
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple members on this forum have picked up a used tractor for really good prices. This 2019 Volvo with 668K miles is posted for $46,900. These will easily pull a Solitude anywhere you want quicker and safer than anything else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volvo.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	49803

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...860-5029838721
    signature

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow what a kettle of fish you have jumped into… this is like asking ones Political Party…ouch.

Before you go out and spend $100k on a heavy duty pickup, give the HDT’s a look and study up on them. They are damn cheap used and you will never ever put the miles on one that a truck driver does. So even high mileage units are a bargain.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lskinner11 View Post
    That’s what I have and I like it. The Allison 10 speed is the smoothest shifting auto that I have ever driven in anything, and it runs cool. We had an F450 Ford on order, but it was never built. The seats are better in the Ford in my opinion, and the turning radius of a 450 is FANTASTIC. I’m going to sit out on a Ford now though until they get rid of the CP4 fuel pump. Ram ditched it after only 2 years, and GM was more like 5 years or so before they pulled the plug. Ram did the decent thing and recalled it, which can’t be said for GM.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    That’s what I have and I like it. The Allison 10 speed is the smoothest shifting auto that I have ever driven in anything, and it runs cool. We had an F450 Ford on order, but it was never built. The seats are better in the Ford in my opinion, and the turning radius of a 450 is FANTASTIC. I’m going to sit out on a Ford now though until they get rid of the CP4 fuel pump. Ram ditched it after only 2 years, and GM was more like 5 years or so before they pulled the plug. Ram did the decent thing and recalled it, which can’t be said for GM.
    GM had a policy of quietly fixing them. I know of one owner that was out of warranty by a bunch and GM still picked up half of the bill. For many years it was really rare to read of an owner that was unhappy with how GM was handeling it. Ford took a hardline stance right out of the gate denying warranty for many that were still under warranty. GM could not do a recall as no other pumps were available that could produce the higher pressure and thus more power. That was the reason they used the CP4. The CP3 back then ran at lower pressure. So going to it would reduce power and it would violate emission rules. (some owners did an aftermarket CP3 swap)
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go no less than a 350 dually. Welcome to the forum.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast