User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmurray920 View Post
    What do you mean by "I think many struggle to get weight on the tongue since there is so much storage behind the axles"?
    Welcome to the group. It is a great place for information and a great group of people. Please keep asking questions. This is my first trailer (see my signature below), and I have learned a great deal of information from the group here.

For a bumper pull (aka tag trailer) you want between 10% and 15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. If you go to light, it tends to lead to trailer sway (oscillation left to right and back). This can lead lead to loosing control of the truck and trailer. Many factors play into this (speed, wheel base, etc.) but the 10~15% will generally keep you in a safe (and comfortable) towing area.

You also asked about weight distributing hitches (WDH). There are many brands and types, but the all work to distribute some of the tongue weight to the front truck and the trailer tires. This is used to keep the back of the truck/trailer tongue from sagging/being low. Ideally you want both the truck and trailer to be level when towing. Many WDH also include some type of sway control device. Note: The preferred 10~15% total trailer weight on the tongue, would be calculated/measured without the weight distribution feature engaged.

One last thing (for now ), most people will use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for the trailer for weigh calculations. This is the maximum the trailer should weigh. The actual weight will depend on how you load it (what you take with you - including water, which at 8#/gallon is heavy). My point/caution is the Unloaded Vehicle Weight(UVW) is for an empty trailer as it came off the production line. A trailer, ready to use, will never be this light. Similarly with weight rating (capacity) on the truck. The factory (Ford, Chev, RAM, etc.) published specs are maximum values for a stripped (no options) truck with possibly special options. Your best source of actual capacity (towing and payload) are to ask here or look at the Department of Transportation (DOT) weight stickers on the drivers door jam of trucks similar to what you are considering purchasing. A diesel engine will weigh around 800# and use up about the same amount payload capacity.

Lots to consider. Take your time and ask questions. Only you can decide what is right for you, but we can try and help you make the best decision the first time (search for "two truck club" in search box above right of every page).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone - We really appreciate it! This is making much more sense as we went to the dealer they all say "oh ya, you can tow xyz trailer" but knowing now there is much more to consider.

2500 is where we are starting to look!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the other posters, we jumped into a 3500HD Duramax Diesel with Allison 10-speed transmission. I pull a 42' GD Solitude and have taken it over the Divide in the Rockies (12k feet) with no issues at all. From my perspective, the real magic is in the 10-speed trans unless you'll always be on pretty level tows. I occasionally have those moments of ponder when I consider a long-bed dually with same engine and trans but so far it's never been an issue (it's really just a high-winds security and turning radius benefit). In any case, I was parked next to a fellow in a short wheelbase dually RAM in San Antonio, first of those I've ever seen, and he had same size RV as us and seemed to do just fine. I guess I'm just rambling on to say more truck is better and make sure you get the right trans for your towing plans.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First congratulations.

We faced the same dilemma and you are looking at it correctly. All have great towing capacity, but most people forget that payload capacity is the very important limiter. We bought a Ram 2500 gas with 6.4L 410 hp Hemi. It’s a beast. Didn’t think the extra $9000 and decrease of 450 lbs of payload capacity was worth the diesel. Our Big Horn has a payload capacity of 3300 lbs. Our 2500rl at about 7500 is handled with ease. Like I said it’s a beast. It feels safe and tows easy. We have a blue ox pro hitch which helps also. Tons of room in the cab. We never have to worry about what we bring weight wise.

We also have a Westinghouse Inverter Generator 4500 in its bed along with light rams, camping chairs, kayaks, some tools.

Our 2500rl is a great couple trailer which is wide open and well lit. 2 doors so access to bathroom when traveling with the slide in is easy. Tons of storage and well laid out. Our average trips are 6-8 weeks at a time as we also have a 35 foot sailboat which we’ve had 27 years. Most of our camping is in state and National parks as we like the privacy and aren’t big on being shoehorned in with others . Not to forget the bathroom is huge and perfect for two.

Because of that we’ve spent extra time and money getting a few large solar panels, extra high tech batteries, a robust charger inverter which means we can use our 110 outlets on demand. and the generator. It has given us energy independence. We arent full timers though. We like that the tankage is very large at 90 grey and 45 black. Very much enough for one week at a sight which is how we camp. Most state parks / national forests have dump outs.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trailer can have more up/down movement at the rear of it. That is why you buy an rv rated bike rack.
    People have found a fridge to be shaken around more in the back, I would hate to find a mess after a day of traveling.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I are looking to get our first travel trailer and truck, and are finding ourselves OVERWHELMED by all the options, information and advice we're finding (or not finding). We would love to get some straightforward guidance from folks who have done this before.

Our family consists of my husband and I + 3 German Shepherds. That's about 650 pounds in passengers alone. We're looking at the Transcend Xplor 240ML (UVW 6265lbs, Hitch 598lbs, GVWR 7495lbs, length 29'9") or the Transcend Xplor 220RB (UVW 5389lbs, Hitch 510lbs, GVWR 6995lbs, length 26'10"). Those are manufacturer specs, so I understand those weights are give or take a few pounds depending on customizations, add-ons, etc. I figure we'll be traveling with bikes, dog cages/gear, all of our human junk, and potentially a generator/firewood/extra propane if we want to boondock. Also, I overpack everywhere we go For our first few trips, I imagine we'll be staying relatively local (we live in SoCal) but eventually want to travel farther. At this point, almost nothing is out of the question, until we figure out how/where we do and don't like to travel.

We've been looking at RAM trucks to tow either one of these trailers and are debating whether or not we need to get a 1500 or 2500. The 1500's claim they have tow capacity of 10,000lbs no problem, and people I know keep telling me the half ton truck should be plenty. In the tow calculators I've found, we're always over payload in a 1500. Does that matter? What does it mean for tow performance / wear & tear on the truck? Is a 1500 good enough, or do we need to get the 2500? Should we get a gas or diesel truck? Does fuel type matter for towing performance? Do we need any of the extra/upgradeable features like a larger axle ratio, air suspension, engine cooling, anti-spin differential, etc.? What does the weight distribution hitch do (distribute weight, yes, but what does that MEAN?)

Does anyone have opinions on either of the trailers, be it "the models you're looking at are missing XX feature that you MUST have" or "as a newbie, don't get anything over XX feet".

Any advice or words of wisdom you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you <3
    If you have the means you should definitely get the Ram 2500. Go bigger if you can. That way you are more likely to be setup for your next trailer. And their will be a next.

My personal opinion, if choosing between the 260RB or 240ML, I would select the 240ML. The rear bath in the 260RB takes up a lot of space. BUT, if you like a large bath then the 260RB is for you. When we started looking for a TT we were looking at the Imagine 2600RB. That is the one we wanted, but while looking at various dealers we came across the 2970RL. That is the one we chose. It is much bigger than what we planned on buying but looking back we are very glad we got the larger trailer.

If you want to see what a weight distribution hitch does there is a good video on the Fastway website that uses scales to show exactly what a weight distribution hitch does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

And being 'from' (born and raised) California, there is so much more to see.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    If you have the means you should definitely get the Ram 2500. Go bigger if you can. That way you are more likely to be setup for your next trailer. And their will be a next.

My personal opinion, if choosing between the 260RB or 240ML, I would select the 240ML. The rear bath in the 260RB takes up a lot of space. BUT, if you like a large bath then the 260RB is for you. When we started looking for a TT we were looking at the Imagine 2600RB. That is the one we wanted, but while looking at various dealers we came across the 2970RL. That is the one we chose. It is much bigger than what we planned on buying but looking back we are very glad we got the larger trailer.

If you want to see what a weight distribution hitch does there is a good video on the Fastway website that uses scales to show exactly what a weight distribution hitch does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

And being 'from' (born and raised) California, there is so much more to see.
    This was the model that sucked me into GD - I love the layout! I'm just nervous it's way too much trailer for complete NOOBs. Lol!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the model that sucked me into GD - I love the layout! I'm just nervous it's way too much trailer for complete NOOBs. Lol!!
    You obviously need to get what YOU are comfortable towing. I have pulled a 26 ft vintage Airstream for almost 30 years. With our K3500 I could barely tell it was back there.

We were looking at the 2600RB mostly because it was a comparable size to what we had but it wasn't vintage. Modern amenities are so nice. We were hesitant on the 2979RL due to its size . I had complete confidence in my driving and towing capabilities. We just thought the size was too much. I can tell you it isn't and we are so glad we went bigger.

As long as your TV is capable, on the more than capable side, towing a 28 ft or a 34 ft isn't much difference if any at all. The longer the trailer the wider the turn. The longer the trailer the easier to back up, in my opinion. Longer doesn't react as quickly to steering wheel movements.

One other thing to consider is you mentioned camping in Calif. I know Florida State Parks are not all big trailer friendly. If you go bigger just be sure the spots you want to go are bigger trailer friendly.

But on the TV, as I said, if you have the means definitely the 2500 and maybe a 3500. Your vehicle registration fees will be crazy high. They were high when I left Calif in 1997 for our K3500. We were paying $600 / year when we left. In Florida our annual registration was $58
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone (lol) always says to get your last trailer first. I disagree with this thought. As a long time truck driver owner operator(past) I have seen first hand newbies struggling with more trailer than experience. My advice is to get the biggest truck and smallest trailer you feel is "enough" for you and learn the basics of pulling, parking and maneuvering the 2 first. Once you get some miles under your butt, then start looking for "the one" . You don't want to overwhelm yourself and have a bad experience first time out. Good luck and practice in an empty parking lot first to get a feel for turning and backing, you will be glad you did.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Everyone (lol) always says to get your last trailer first. I disagree with this thought. As a long time truck driver owner operator(past) I have seen first hand newbies struggling with more trailer than experience. My advice is to get the biggest truck and smallest trailer you feel is "enough" for you and learn the basics of pulling, parking and maneuvering the 2 first. Once you get some miles under your butt, then start looking for "the one" . You don't want to overwhelm yourself and have a bad experience first time out. Good luck and practice in an empty parking lot first to get a feel for turning and backing, you will be glad you did.
    Good advice, thank you. Unfortunately (well, not UNFORTUNATELY, but you know what I mean) we have three German Shepherds so our "enough" is already bigger than I was hoping for as a newbie. LOL.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast